Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Beaufort, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
1st SC Infantry Of African Descent Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, March 2008
1st SC Infantry Of African Descent Marker
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 1st SC Infantry Of African Descent
The 1st South Carolina Volunteer Infantry Regiment was raised from sea island slaves living around Port Royal. Elements of the regiment were formed on Hilton Head in May 1862. In August 1862, the regiment was reorganized near Beaufort at the . . . — Map (db m7094) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 and April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. . . . — Map (db m134423) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Address by President Lincoln — At the Dedication of The Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.    Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114214) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-58 — Baptist Church of Beaufort
(side 1) The Baptist Church of Beaufort descends from Euhaw Baptist Church on Edisto Island. In 1794 the first meeting house was built on this site. In 1795 Henry Holcombe moved to Beaufort and became the first mission pastor. The Beaufort . . . — Map (db m133292) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-28 — Battery Saxton
(Front Text): Battery Saxton, constructed here in 1862, was in the second line of earthworks built by Federal troops occupying Beaufort during the Civil War. Laid out by the 1st New York Engineers with the assistance of black laborers, it . . . — Map (db m6985) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-1 — Beaufort
. . . — Map (db m19642) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-10 — Beaufort Arsenal
Erected in 1798 and rebuilt in 1852, the Beaufort Arsenal was the home of the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, commissioned in 1802, which had its roots in an earlier company organized in 1776 and served valiantly in the Revolutionary War. The BVA was . . . — Map (db m5664) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-26 — Beaufort College
(Text front) Beaufort College, a college preparatory academy founded in 1795, occupied this Greek Revival building from 1852 to 1861. The school opened in 1084 at Bay and Church Sts. but closed in 1817 after a yellow fever epidemic, reopening . . . — Map (db m8705) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County South Carolina — Civil War and Forward
1860 - On November 7,1861 a flotilla of U.S. warships steamed into Port Royal and the "Cotton Kingdom" came to a swift and thunderous end. The planters were forced to flee inland, many never to return, abandoning homes, lands and slaves. . . . — Map (db m5941) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County, South Carolina — Exploration and Settlement
1520 - 1711       In 1520 the Spaniard, Francisco Gordillo, sailing from Hispaniola, stopped near Port Royal Sound long enough to call the place Santa Elena. Fourty-two years later, in 1562, Jean Ribaut and his French Huguenots named the . . . — Map (db m5886) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort County, South Carolina — Colonial And Revolutionary Period — 1711-1860 —
During the Colonial period the Beaufort district grew and prospered. Rice was produced for export on the mainland, indigo in the sea islands, shipbuilding flourished. The Parish System developed as the political basis and Beaufort competed with . . . — Map (db m5935) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-21 — Beaufort Female Benevolent Society
The Society, founded in 1814 to educate and provide relief for destitute children, built this house in 1895 and leased it for many years, using the income to help the needy. Tenants included the Clover Club, which operated a circulating library . . . — Map (db m5681) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort Historic District — (South Carolina)
Beaufort Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This Site Possesses National Significance in Commemorating the History of the United States of America 1974 National Park . . . — Map (db m55130) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort National Cemetery
National Cemetery Beaufort National Cemetery was established in 1863. The U.S. Army Quartermaster General's Office laid out the 22 acres in sections that radiate outward from a central plaza to form a half circle. Of the 9,226 interments here . . . — Map (db m134421) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Beaufort South Carolina Tricentennial — 1711-2011 300
Beaufort 300 We celebrate and recognize the proud citizens who gave generously to create and erect these monuments to honor Beaufort's 300th Birthday January 17th 2011. (Plaque 1)    Prior to the founding of . . . — Map (db m67284) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-52 — Berean Church / J. I. Washington Branch Library
Berean Church (side 1)Berean Presbyterian Church was founded by Samuel J. Bampfield, an influential African American political figure during Reconstruction. Bampfield served in the S.C. House of Representatives, was Beaufort's postmaster, . . . — Map (db m133351) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-44 — Beth Israel Synagogue
(side 1) Beth Israel (House of Israel) Congregation was founded and chartered in 1905. Beaufort's Jewish community dates before the American Revolution, but grew most rapidly from the 1880s to the 1930s as more families arrived from Eastern . . . — Map (db m133375) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Brigadier General Stephen Elliott CSA — Born October 26, 1830 Died February 21 1866
Known for acts of bravery and outstanding leadership in the defense of Beaufort. This Memorial is erected by the Stephen Elliot Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy opposite the home in which this chapter was organized. — Map (db m5638) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Christensen-Fordham Building — ca. 1909
Built after The Great Fire of 1907 destroyed a frame ca. 1810 house on this site, this structure was consecutively home to hardware enterprises by two prominent Beaufort families for over 100 years. Beaufort 300Map (db m135439) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — City Meat Market & Firehouse — ca. 1911
. . . — Map (db m135457) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Dr. Henry Woodward, Surgeon 1646-1686 — (First Permanent Settler of South Carolina)
Arrived Port Royal (Beaufort) 1666 with Robert Sanford's Expedition exploring the area. He remained with Indians and learned their language. Captured by Spanish, he escaped; later returned guiding the Port Royal Colony. On his advice the . . . — Map (db m144230) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-40 — First African Baptist Church
This church, founded in 1865, grew out of an antebellum praise house for black members of the Baptist Church of Beaufort. During the Civil War, after the Federal occupation of the town, it hosted a school for freedmen. Rev. Arthur Waddell . . . — Map (db m103224) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — First Fort
On or near this site in the settlement known as Stuart Town stood the "Tight Watch House" erected in 1683-4. After the destruction of the town by the Spanish in 1686 it was replaced by a fort, approximately 100 feet square defended by "9 Great Guns" . . . — Map (db m5939) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-36 — First Presbyterian Church
Early attempts to establish a Presbyterian church in Beaufort, in the 1740s and 1880s, were unsuccessful.    The first permanent congregation was founded in 1912 by 16 charter members. In 1921, when it acquired this . . . — Map (db m65698) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-41 — Grand Army of the Republic Hall
(side 1) This building was built ca. 1896 by the David Hunter Post No. 9, Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.) The G.A.R., founded in 1866, was a fraternal society for veterans of the Union army and navy, with white and black posts. David . . . — Map (db m133383) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-16 — Mather School
Shortly after the Civil War, Mather School was founded here by Rachel Crane Mather of Boston. In 1882 the Women's American Baptist Home Mission Society assumed support of the venture, operating it as a normal school for black girls. With some . . . — Map (db m6940) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-30 — Maxcy - Rhett House / "Secession House"
Maxcy - Rhett House This house was built circa 1810 for Milton Maxcy (1782-1817), who came here from Massachusetts in 1804. Maxcy and his brother Virgil, who founded a school for young men in Beaufort, later taught at Beaufort College. In the . . . — Map (db m5803) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Re-interred 19 African-American Civil War Volunteers — Memorial Day May 29, 1989
(Tablet One) The Governor of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Michael S. Dukakis, and descendant's of the African-American Civil War Volunteers of the 54th and 55th Infantry Regiments and the 5th Cavalry Regiment of Massachusetts, . . . — Map (db m20211) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Richard V. Woods Memorial Bridge
Dedicated in 1971 to the memory of State Highway Patrolman R.V. Woods (1935-1969) and all other South Carolina Law Enforcement Officers who died while serving in the line of duty — Map (db m15605) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-14 — Robert Smalls
Born a slave in 1839, Robert Smalls lived to serve as a Congressman of the United States. In 1862 he commandeered and delivered to Union forces the Confederate gunboat Planter, on which he was a crewman. His career as a freedman included service as . . . — Map (db m20144) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Site of the Old Baptist Meeting House
" Here, in 1794, I had the happiness, instrumentally, to lay the foundation of a place of worship which composed of the best materials, and classes with the most neat and commodious Baptist meetinghouses in the United States." (Rev. . . . — Map (db m25958) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-22 — St. Helena's Church
(Marker Front): This Episcopal Parish was established by Act of the Assembly June 7, 1712. The first known rector, William Guy, conducted early worship services in homes of settlers. The parish suffered greatly during the 1715 Yemassee . . . — Map (db m5827) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — St. Helena's Episcopal Church
† St. Helena's Parish was established June 7, 1712 by act of Provincial Assembly. First rector, The Rev. William Guy, was appointed 1713; Glebe lands of 50 acres provided 1717. Original church erected 1724; Enlarged 1770 and . . . — Map (db m25741) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-45 — St. Peter Catholic Church
(side 1) This Greek Revival church, built In 1846, dedicated as "St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church," Is the oldest Catholic church in Beaufort County. Michael O'Connor (1798-1850), a native of Ireland who came to Beaufort In 1822, built . . . — Map (db m133312) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-14 — Tabernacle Baptist Church
Tabernacle Church was formed by black members of Beaufort Baptist Church after other members evacuated the area because of Federal occupation in 1861. The church's lecture room was used for services during the war. In 1867 the black congregation . . . — Map (db m9964) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — The Baptist Church of Beaufort
Established as a mission of the Euhaw Baptist Church in 1795, Henry Holcombe, pastor. With Joseph B. Cook as pastor, the church was chartered as a Baptist church by the State of South Carolina on January 27,1804. At the beginning of the Civil . . . — Map (db m26102) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — The Capt. Francis Saltus House — ca. 1796
. . . — Map (db m135408) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — The Sam Levin Building — ca. 1910
This structure housed a cobbler before the Levins operated businesses in it, including a print shop which produced printed materials for Parris Island using modern early 20th century equipment. Beaufort 300Map (db m135456) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — The Wallace House — ca. 1908
. . . — Map (db m135392) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Thomas Heyward, Jr.
South Carolina 1746 - 1809 Soldier - Statesman Signer of The Declaration Of Independence — Map (db m5940) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — Verdier House
John Mark Verdier 1759-1826 Builder Of This House 1795-1800 General Lafayette Spoke To The People Of Beaufort From This Portico March 18, 1825 — Map (db m19644) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Beaufort — 7-49 — Wesley Methodist Church
(side 1) This church, established in 1833, was the first Methodist church in Beaufort and was founded as a mission to slaves and free blacks here and on the neighboring Sea Islands. The congregation had both black and white members but many . . . — Map (db m133501) HM

42 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement