Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bedford, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
"King's House" Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., November 29, 2008
"King's House" Marker
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — "King's House"
A log structure, built prior to 1761, stood on this site. Known, also, as the Commandants House; later as “Rising Sun Inn.” Occupied by British officers until close of French and Indian War. Destroyed by fire, Dec. 14, 1885. — Map (db m14004) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Anderson House
Built in 1815. East room housed the first bank in Bedford, known as the Allegheny Bank of Pennsylvania, from 1815 to 1832. Original vault can still be seen. Since 1924, used as public library and community center. — Map (db m13986) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County
Formed on March 9, 1771 from Cumberland County, it first embraced most of western Pennsylvania. Named for its county seat (formerly Raystown) incorporated 1795. In 1758, Fort Bedford was erected here, and Forbes Road - to become a major highway west . . . — Map (db m13990) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Civil War Monument
(Front):To all her sons who volunteered to defend and perpetuate the government of these United States, Bedford County dedicates this monument July 4, A.D. 1890 Erected in part by the children of the Common Schools of Bedford County . . . — Map (db m14002) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Courthouse
This courthouse was built in the year 1828 by Solomon Filler. The year following it was used for court and office purposes. — Map (db m14001) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget We honor all veterans of Bedford County — Map (db m14007) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford County Vietnam Veterans Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Bedford County who answered the call We remember these who lost their lives in service to their country Darrell Zane Magruder Donald Clair Wyles Charles E Sivits Irvin Grant Weyand Rodney . . . — Map (db m14008) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs
Medicinal values of these springs discovered about 1796. It soon became a leading resort visited by numerous notables. James Buchanan used the Springs as his summer White House while President. — Map (db m13992) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Springs Historic District
The Bedford Springs Historic District consists of a mineral springs resort established c.1806 by Dr. John Anderson. The district's oldest extant buildings are the stone Nawgel's Mill, c.1796, and the log Miller's House, c.1800. In 1804, Nawgel sold . . . — Map (db m13993) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trading post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m13995) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m52662) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bedford Village
Settled about 1750, known then as Raystown. Site of an early trade post and Fort Bedford, 1758. Base for Forbes, Bouquet expeditions. In 1794 Washington here reviewed forces in Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m82781) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Bonnet Tavern
This inn at the junction of the Forbes and Burd Roads was operated, 1779-1815, by Jean Bonnet and his heirs. In mid-1794, during the Whiskey Rebellion, embattled farmers met here and raised a liberty pole to protest the federal excise tax on . . . — Map (db m60115) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Espy House
Built about 1771. It was the headquarters of George Washington in October, 1794, when he came to Bedford to review troops assembled here to quell Whiskey Rebellion in western part of the State. — Map (db m14015) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — First Court House and Prison Built in 1774
This tablet marks the site of the First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 In the prison yard around which was a high stone wall were The Pillory and Whipping Post used in those days for the punishment of criminals Prior to . . . — Map (db m14000) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne-Fort Bedford-Raystown
Depot of supplies assembling place of an army of nearly eight thousand men and the starting point of General John Forbes' Expedition for the possession of Fort Duquesne. The road leads Westward to the Forks. — Map (db m52666) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Fort Bedford
First known as Raystown and built during the summer of 1758 by the forces of Col. Henry Bouquet, the fort was the rendezvous from which the expedition of Gen. Forbes advanced to occupy Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Museum stands on the original site. — Map (db m114321) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Fraser Tavern
Site of lots on which John Fraser and his wife established an inn and trading post in 1758. Fraser had been a guide and interpreter for Colonel Washington. The inn provided meals for army officers at Fort Raystown (Bedford). — Map (db m14003) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — George Washington
“First in war - first in peace, and first in the hearts of his countrymen.” This tablet marks the building used by President George Washington as his headquarters October 19 and 20, 1794, when he was in Bedford, in charge of the United . . . — Map (db m14089) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Grist Millstone 1774
This millstone, which dates prior to the American Revolution, came from Dutch Corner in Bedford County. Jim Karns found it in 1985 while doing construction work near Imlertown. The mill from which it came is unknown. This stone, which weighs about . . . — Map (db m91117) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Original Turnpike Road Construction
Modern road construction methods have evolved utilizing multiple sub grade & substrate layers of compacted earth, crushed stone, concrete, asphalt and can measure up to 36" in depth creating a stable smooth driving surface. Construction of the . . . — Map (db m116487) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania
Founded 1681 by William Penn as a Quaker Commonwealth. Birthplace of The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States — Map (db m91128) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8188) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Pennsylvania Turnpike
This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction . . . — Map (db m8816) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Rural Electrification
In 1936 seventy-five percent of Pennsylvania farms had no electric service. During the next five years, with Federal support, 14 consumer-owned cooperatives were formed in this State. Bedford Rural Electric Cooperative, which serves members in . . . — Map (db m52665) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Coffee Pot
The increased number of automobiles during the Lincoln Highway era (1912-1940) led to the development of programmatic architecture. Proprietors took daring approaches to appeal to the new motoring public. All across the country, oversized . . . — Map (db m13998) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Elm Tree Memorial
The Elm Tree which this tablet marks was planted in memory of those Patriots of the Borough of Bedford who gave their lives for the cause of freedom in the Great World War. Corporal Howard Pardoe Booty, Co. L. 112th U.S. Infantry, 28th . . . — Map (db m14011) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Lincoln Highway Meets the Superhighway
Nearly three centuries of transportation history can be found in Pennsylvania: native American paths to wagon trails, early canals and railroads, the Forbes and Burd Roads, and a string of ten other turnpikes. However, none were more important in . . . — Map (db m116488) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — The Squares
Set aside, at the time of Manor survey in 1761, by the family of William Penn, as property of the town of Bedford. — Map (db m14005) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford
This tablet erected by Bedford Penn'a Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution May 30, 1925 Marks the site of Fort Bedford One of the Frontier Forts built by the British in 1758 The stockade enclosing the fort contained about 7000 square . . . — Map (db m60119) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Transportation History
Nearby water gaps have made this an important transporation corridor for thousands of years. Native American trails, 18th century military roads, the Pennsylvania Road, the Chambersburg and Bedford Turnpike, the Lincoln Highway, US 30, and the . . . — Map (db m52667) HM
Pennsylvania (Bedford County), Bedford — Traveling The Highway
For over 200 years, Bedford County taverns have served as stopovers for weary travelers en route to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. Over the years, most of these taverns have ceased to operate. However, the Jean Bonnet Tavern continues to offer a fine . . . — Map (db m60116) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement