On this historic site for more than a century military history was written. The loyalty, courage, and devotion of the military and the civilian who served their country here furnished material for a brilliant page in the saga of the far west. What . . . — — Map (db m16297) HM
Founded September 24, 1854, with the first service conducted by lay reader Major F. D. Townsend, U.S. Army, in the “Old Capital Building”, constructed from plans presented by Colonel Julian McAlister, of the Benicia Arsenal, in April . . . — — Map (db m16322) HM
This tablet dedicated to his memory. He was State Senator 1852-1853; Mayor of Santa Barbara, Captain of California Volunteers serving in Arizona during the Civil War 1861-1865. He was a loyal member of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus . . . — — Map (db m58330) HM
Benicia Barracks, established on April 30, 1849 and organized by Brevet Lt. Col. Silas Casey, 2nd U.S. Infantry, was the U.S. Army headquarters for the Department of the Pacific from 1851-1857. Also known as the 'Post near . . . — — Map (db m16296) HM
In the early Twentieth century, Benicia supplied one-third of California's leather, much of it tanned on this site by Kullman, Salz & Company. Beginning in 1881, early tannery structures occupied the western half of this block and by 1891 tannery . . . — — Map (db m40834) HM
These finely crafted sandstone buildings were originally constructed for use as warehouses. They gained their name and fame, however, during a brief period in 1863-64 when they were used to stable a herd of camels imported by the U.S. Army for . . . — — Map (db m32204) HM
The first stone fortress in the far west. Originally had two towers, but following an accidental explosure in 1912, it was rebuilt with only one tower and the present clock was installed. Buring the building’s history, it has served as a chapel, . . . — — Map (db m16305) HM
An imposing residence of classic Georgian architecture with 14-foot ceilings and 24-inch brick walls. The lumber for the wainscoting, parquet floors, paneling, stair rails and balustrades was carried by ship "around The Horn".
During the last . . . — — Map (db m40855) HM
Named for Thomas Ap Catesby Jones, founder of the Naval Academy and War of 1812 hero. As Commander of the Pacific Fleet, Jones landed at Monterey 1842, raising the Stars and Stripes under misapprehension of war with Mexico. From 1848 to 1850 he . . . — — Map (db m40973) HM
William Hamilton, the first Pony Express rider to reach Benicia on the final relay. Carrying the mail from St. Joseph, Missouri to California. Arrived in this city April 23, 1860, at 7 a.m. Thomas J. Bedford, a young Benician, took the mochila by . . . — — Map (db m16325) HM
The first Masonic hall built in California was begun in the summer of 1850, occupied by the lodge October 14, 1850, and formally dedicated December 27, 1850. This building served as the Masonic Temple for Benicia Lodge No. 5 until 1888, when the new . . . — — Map (db m16317) HM
In 1849, Joseph Fischer, a Swiss immigrant, came to Benicia. After joining a butcher partnership, Fischer purchased this lot on July 1, 1858. The house, reputed to be an old hotel was relocated here. The converted building is an outstanding example . . . — — Map (db m16334) HM
Gen. Mariano G. Vallejo
Who was Commandante of Northern
California for over 10 years.
Thomas O. Larkin
U.S. Consul in California 1844-1846.
Presiding Officer of the First Constitutional
Convention of California and . . . — — Map (db m16360) HM
In honor of native son Douglass Phillip Quandt, Major General, U.S. Army Corps.
Born in this arsenal, Douglass Quandt graduated from West Point and went on to command parachute batallions in the European and Pacific Campaigns in WWII and later in . . . — — Map (db m41055) HM
Original two story front portion of this building has mortise and tenon-frame walls with solid wood plank sheathing inside.
Preservation by Carl & Alice Merritt
Mayors Award 1990 — — Map (db m25892) HM
Erected in 1852, this historic building was ostensibly intended for Benicia City Hall, offered as the State Capitol and promptly accepted, it had that honor from February 4, 1853 to February 25, 1854. Deeded to state in 1951, it was one of the four . . . — — Map (db m16375) HM
[Front of Marker:]
Dedicated April 23, 2000
Benicia Historical Society
Benicia (N.S.G.W.) Native Sons
Richard & Veronica Tipton
Benicia Camel Barn Museum
Exxon Mobile, Benicia Refinery
Benicia Chamber of . . . — — Map (db m16327) HM
Robert Semple, chief founder of Benicia, negotiated with General M.G. Vallejo for the land and suggested new city be named after General’s wife, Francisca Benicia, selecting Francisca. Officials of Yerba Buena objected and by ordinance changed that . . . — — Map (db m16371) HM
Designed in 1859 by Lt. Julian McAllister and built by shipwrights of the Pacific Mail and Steamship Company, St. Paul's is an outstanding example of early California Gothic ecclesiastical architecture. Notable for its fine craftsmanship, this . . . — — Map (db m16318) HM
[Marker mounted on front of base (Photo #1]
The birthplace of Mills College, founded in 1852 as the Young Ladies' Seminary of Benicia. Acquired from Mary Atkins by Cyrus and Susan Mills in 1865. It was moved to its present site in Oakland . . . — — Map (db m16312) HM
On this site was organized by the Rev. Sylvester Woodbridge, Jr., on April 15, 1849 the First Presbyterian Church of Benicia. This was the first protestant church established in California with an ordained resident pastor. The church of disbanded in . . . — — Map (db m95697) HM
Suisun Bay Reserve Fleet is part of the National Defense Reserve Fleet (NDRF), owned and operated by U.S. Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration (MARAD). Established by the Merchant Ship Act of 1946, NDRF serves as a reserve which . . . — — Map (db m10794) HM
Architect and driving force behind the modernization of Highway 780, the first State Capitol Building, the Benicia State Park, First Street Development, the Benicia City Water System, and the Benicia Industrial Park.
He gave his vision, his . . . — — Map (db m25895) HM
In 1882, Mathew Turner of San Francisco relocated his shipyard to Benicia. Turner, the most prodigious shipbuilder in North America, constructed 228 vessels, 169 of which were launched here. In 1913, the shipyard was purchased by James Robertson, . . . — — Map (db m31007) HM