Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Berkeley Springs, West Virginia Historical Markers

 
"Stonewall" Jackson Hill image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 28, 2008
"Stonewall" Jackson Hill
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — "Stonewall" Jackson Hill
On U.S. 522 at River Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 522.
From this point, "Stonewall" Jackson shelled Hancock, Md., Jan 5, 1862. After destroying supplies, the B&O Railway track and the bridge over the Great Cacapon, Jackson marched his army of 8,500 men to Romney and captured it. January 14. — Map (db m13158) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — A Castle Built for Love — Washington Heritage Trail
On South Mercer Street at Fairfax Street (West Virginia Route 9), on the left when traveling north on South Mercer Street.
In 1885, noted Maryland businessman, Colonel Samuel Taylor Suit began construction on the elaborate summer cottage now known as Berkeley Castle. The land was part of the original Fruit Hill Farm owned before the Civil War by John Strother of the . . . — Map (db m117311) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — A Winter Refuge — Berkeley Springs Hotel — Jackson's Bath-Romney Campaign
On Washington Street at Liberty Street on Washington Street.
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — Map (db m58632) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Bath Historic District — Washington Heritage Trail
On North Washington Street (U.S. 522) at Independence Street, on the right when traveling north on North Washington Street.
Nearly 30 years after colonial travelers, including a teenaged George Washington, pitched tents and "took the waters" in stone lined pools, the Virginia Legislature in 1776 established a town called Bath on 50 acres around the warm mineral springs. . . . — Map (db m117303) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Battle for Bath — Struggle in the Snow — Jackson's Bath-Romney Campaign
On Fairfax Street at Washington Street (West Virginia Highway 9) on Fairfax Street.
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — Map (db m58634) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Berkeley Springs — Washington Heritage Trail
On Congress Street at North Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling west on Congress Street.
The historic spa town of Bath is known to the world by its post office name of Berkeley Springs. From the time he was 16 through the reading of his will in 1799, George Washington ate, slept, owned land and bathed in and around Berkeley . . . — Map (db m117301) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Berkeley Springs / James Rumsey
On Fairfax Street at U.S. 522, in the median on Fairfax Street.
Berkeley Springs Washington first came here, 1748. Fairfax gave the springs to the public. Established as town, 1776. Virginia treated her sick soldiers here. Gen. Washington, Gen Buchanan, Gen. Gates, Charles Carroll and others bought lots . . . — Map (db m13016) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Berkeley Springs Baths
Near Fairfax Street, on the right when traveling south.
One of oldest spas in South, warm mineral spring waters first used by Native Americans for reputed healing powers. Frequently visited by George Washington. Land granted to Virginia by Lord Fairfax in 1776, but used as a health resort since 1750s. . . . — Map (db m13113) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Berkeley Springs Sanitarium
Near Fairfax Street.
These healing springs, visited by Washington, 1748, were given to Virginia by Lord Fairfax. Helpful in treating infantile paralysis, rheumatism, diabetes and other diseases. Temperature of water is always 74 degrees. — Map (db m13114) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Berkeley Springs State Park — Washington Heritage Trail
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) north of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south.
Today's 4.5-acre Berkeley Springs State Park has always been public ground. Native tribes were known to use the springs but none called it home. Colonial owner Thomas Lord Fairfax allowed its public use. When the town was established in 1776, the . . . — Map (db m117307) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, & George William Fairfax — Lot #54
On Liberty Street east of South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the left when traveling east.
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, both Trustees, and George William Fairfax. By 1798, at least four of the five lots deeded to these three nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord Fairfax were owned by Ferdinando Fairfax, son of Bryan. Lot #54: . . . — Map (db m117373) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, & George William Fairfax — Lot # 55
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Bath Street, on the right when traveling north.
Bryan Fairfax, Thomas Bryan Martin, Trustees, and George William Fairfax. All three were nephews of Thomas Sixth Lord of Fairfax, owner of the "Northern Rappahannock Rivers. Bryan Fairfax was the next in line to become the Ninth Lord Fairfax, but . . . — Map (db m117385) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Camp Mud — Unger's Crossroads Bivouacs — Jackson's Bath-Romney Campaign
On Ungers Store Road at Winchester Grade Road (County Route 13) on Ungers Store Road.
(Preface): On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson led four brigades west from Winchester, Va., to secure Romney in the fertile South Branch Valley on the North Western Turnpike. He attacked and occupied Bath on . . . — Map (db m58631) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Campaign in the Snow — Jackson Captures Bath and Romney — Jackson's Bath-Romney Campaign
On Fairfax Street at North Washington Street (West Virginia Highway 9) on Fairfax Street.
The summer of 1861 had been disastrous for Confederate arms in western Virginia (present day West Virginia) and by the New Year the Virginia counties west of the Alleghenies were on the road to statehood. On January 1, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas . . . — Map (db m58633) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Capt. John Swann — Lot #12
On Warren Street east of South Mercer Street, on the right when traveling east.
Capt. John Swann of Washington County, Maryland. By 1798, Capt. Swann owned Lots #12, #13, #34 and #35. Lot #12: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Capt. John Swann, 1777.Map (db m117410) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Catholic War Memorial
On Liberty Street east of South Washington Street (U.S. 522).
Presented by Fr. Patrick J. Gillooly Assembly 3214 Knights of Columbus Dedicated to all Catholic men & woman who have served God and Country — Map (db m117299) WM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Centennial Time Capsule
On U.S. 522 at Bath Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 522.
This official West Virginia Centennial Time Capsule was dedicated October 12, 1963 as Morgan County's contribution to the State's Centennial celebration. It contains historical documents, personal messages to be distributed in 2063. — Map (db m13026) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Center of Hospitality — Washington Heritage Trail
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south.
For more than 200 years, the area bordering the park and springs on which the Country Inn stands, has been the historic spa town's center of hospitality. In September 1784, George Washington stayed at Sign of the Liberty Pole and Flag located . . . — Map (db m117309) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles Carroll — Lot #25
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Market Street, on the right when traveling north.
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence (see marker Lot #24). Carroll was a "squatter" in Bath and built a house here before the town was laid out and before he owned the land. The Signer, who later served in the . . . — Map (db m117392) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles Carroll — Lot #24
On Market Street east of South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling east.
Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence who outlived all the other 55 signers. One of the most illustrious men in Maryland history, he turned the first spadeful of dirt to begin the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad on . . . — Map (db m117397) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles Dick — Lot #44
On Liberty Street east of South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling east.
Charles Dick, a merchant from Spotsylvania County, Va. He was associated with Fielding Lewis, owner of adjoining Lot #45, in manufacturing firearms for Revolutionary troops at a factory in Fredericksburg, Va. Lot #44: Conveyed by the . . . — Map (db m117372) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Charles Yates — Lot #33
On Market Street west of South Mercer Street, on the right when traveling west.
Charles Yates of Spotsylvania County, Va. The Trustees declared it forfeited in 1796 and sold it to Andrew Buchannon. Lot #33: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Charles Yates, 1777.Map (db m117399) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Community Services Building — Bath District High School
On South Green Street north of Martinsburg Road (West Virginia Route 9).
It could be called "education hill" given the assortment of learning institutions that have been located on the crest of an area bounded by the Dutch Cemetery on the west and WV9 on the south. Part of the Green Addition to town, it was known as Mt. . . . — Map (db m117312) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer / Robert Townsen Hose — Lot #4, Lot #5
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) north of Martinsburg Road (West Virginia Route 9), on the right when traveling north.
Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer Lot #4 Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer, a personal friend of George Washington. Jenifer was elected to the Continental Congress in 1778 and was one of three Maryland statesmen who signed the U.S. Constitution. He . . . — Map (db m117396) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Dutch Cemetery — Washington Heritage Trail
On Warren Street at South Green Street on Warren Street.
Palatinate Germans, called Dutch from the translation of Deutsch, migrated south to Berkeley Springs from Pennsylvania. Lots 1 and 2 of the original town plat were set aside by the trustees in 1777 for a German church and two other houses. There is . . . — Map (db m117314) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Edward Lloyd — Lot #23
On South Mercer Street at Market Street, on the right when traveling south on South Mercer Street.
Edward Lloyd, a Maryland official called "the Patriot" because of his eminent service during the Revolutionary period. He was one of two Marylanders in the Congress of the Confederation during 1783-1784. The owner of vast landholdings in Talbot . . . — Map (db m117401) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Fielding Lewis — Lot #45
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling north.
Fielding Lewis, who married George Washington's sister, Betty. He was appointed Chief Commissioner to superintend a factory in Fredericksburg, Va., to make small arms for the Virginia Revolutionary troops. Lewis used his own money to keep the . . . — Map (db m117386) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Frederick Conrad / Robert Rutherford — Lot #68, Lot #69
On North Washington Street (U.S. 522) at Fairfax Street on North Washington Street.
Frederick Conrad Lot #68 Frederick Conrad, a tanner from Frederick County, Va. Conrad also bought Lot #75 which adjoins this lot. Lot #68: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick Conrad, August 19, 1777. . . . — Map (db m117408) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Frederick Duckwall, Jr. — Lot #6
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Warren Street, on the right when traveling south.
Frederick Duckwall, Jr. He sold it to George Dyche in 1794. After Dyche sold it to Samuel W. Barrett of Hampshire County, records show Duckwall owning it again by 1798. Lot #6: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Frederick . . . — Map (db m117395) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — George Dick — Lot #107
On Independence Street west of North Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling west.
George Dick of Berkeley County. It was bought in 1786 by Robert Throckmorton, partner with James Rumsey (see marker Lot #97) at "The Liberty Pole and Flag" Inn, perhaps the most popular inn in Bath. Lot #107: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117377) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — George Irwin — Lot #89
On Congress Street west of Wilkes Street, on the right when traveling west.
George Irwin of York County, Pa., who later bought half of adjoining Lot #88. Irwin, a merchant, also bought Lot #46. A boarding house was located on this site during most of the early history of Bath. Lot #89: Conveyed by the Trustees of . . . — Map (db m117384) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Harry Dorsey Gough — Lot #35
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) north of Market Street.
Harry Dorsey Gough, a wealthy Marylander from Perry Hall and a patron of Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury. Rev. Asbury visited and preached in the Gough house while in Bath. Gen. Horatio Gates was later a resident but never owned the lot. Capt. John . . . — Map (db m117391) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Henry Whiting — Lot #96
On North Washington Street (Route 522) south of Independence Street.
Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who bought five lots the same day. He sold this one the following year to Robert Adams of Alexandria, Va. By 1798 his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va., owned all the lots . . . — Map (db m117380) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Henry Whiting / Angus McDonald / Jane and Katherine Dalton / Angust McDonald — Lot #57 / Lot #64 / Lot #56 / Lot #63
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Fairfax Street, on the right when traveling south.
Henry Whiting Lot #57 Henry Whiting of Bath, a cousin of George Washington, who also bought Lots #95, #96, #120 and #121. All five lots were owned in 1798 by his father-in-law, Col. John Carlyle of Alexandria, Va. Carlyle was one of . . . — Map (db m117374) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James Elliott — Lot #88
On Congress Street west of North Washington Street (U.S. 522).
James Elliott, a merchant from Chambersburg, Pa. He sold half the lot to George Irwin of York County, Pa., and the other half to Charles Hederich of Berkeley County, Va. (now West Virginia), in 1780. Lot #88: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117383) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James Muir — Lot #60
On Fairfax Street at North Mercer Street, on the right when traveling east on Fairfax Street.
James Muir, a merchant from Alexandria, Va. A listing of lot owners in 1798 shows it belonging to James Mercer, a member of the Continental Congress, who owned lot #43. Lot #60: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to James Muir, . . . — Map (db m117405) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — James Smith — Lot #86
On North Washington Street (U.S. 522) north of Congress Street, on the right when traveling north.
James Smith of York, Pa., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He was a member of the Continental congress and a Brigadier General in the Pennsylvania militia. Smith was a leader in the Pennsylvania black country from the outbreak . . . — Map (db m117382) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John Barns — Lot #13
On South Mercer Street at Warren Street, on the right when traveling south on South Mercer Street.
. . . — Map (db m117413) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John Donovan — Lot #130
On Wilkes Street at Union Street (West Virginia Route 9), on the left when traveling north on Wilkes Street.
John Donovan, a tavern keeper from Hancock, Maryland. He also purchased Lot #126, a site on which the town's first theater was built. Lot #130: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Donovan [no recorded date].Map (db m117371) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John Ridout — Lot #32
On South Mercer Street at Market Street, on the right when traveling north on South Mercer Street.
John Ridout, Esq., of Annapolis, Md. James Smith owned it in 1779. Ridout was again the owner by 1798. Lot #32: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Ridout, 1777.Map (db m117403) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — John Smith and John Philpot — Lot #22
On South Mercer Street at Market Street, on the right when traveling south on South Mercer Street.
John Smith and John Philpot, both of Baltimore, Maryland. Lot #22: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to John Smith and John Philpot, August, 1777.Map (db m117402) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Joseph Booth — Lot #118
On Cacapon Road (West Virginia Route 9) west of North Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling east.
Joseph Booth of Berkeley County. In 1782 he sold it to Alpheus of Hampshire County, who owned other property in the town. Lot #118: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Joseph Booth, August 25, 1777.Map (db m117379) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Judiah Higgins — Lot #117
On North Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Union Street (West Virginia Route 9), on the right when traveling south.
Higgins, of Hampshire County, originally owned this lot. — Map (db m117378) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Lot owned by George Washington
On Fairfax Street at Mercer St., on the right when traveling east on Fairfax Street.
George Washington, surveyor for Lord Fairfax, visited "ye fam'd warm springs" first, Mar. 17, 1748. Later he brought his family "to try the effect of the waters" in 1768. When "Ye Town of Bath" was incorporated in October 1776, Washington bought . . . — Map (db m117310) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Morgan County Court House Stone
On Fairfax Street south of South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling east.
This stone was used in the wall of the first court house in Morgan County, built by John Sherrard in 1801. — Map (db m117375) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Morgan County Veteran's Monument
On Fairfax Street, in the median.
Soldiers from Morgan County who served in the defense of their country in the following wars: Mexican War 1846 Dyche, Lewis ∙ Buck, Isaiah 1861 – Civil War – 1865 Union Soldiers Killed in Battle Boone, Ira ∙ . . . — Map (db m81783) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Original Town of Bath Lots One and Two
Near South Green Street south of Warren Street, on the left.
The Town of Bath was plotted on land that had belonged to Thomas Lord Fairfax. These two lots were purchased on August 26, 1777, by six men on behalf of a German church. Although the original plan was to build a church and two houses on these lots, . . . — Map (db m117409) HM WM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert Brown — Lot #106
On Independence Street at South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling west on Independence Street.
Robert Brown of Berkeley County. He sold half the lot to James Heaton in 1782 and the other half to Michael Davis of Berkeley County the following year. Lot #106: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Robert Brown, 1777.Map (db m117376) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert Carter Willis — Lot #37
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south.
Robert Carter Willis in 1779 deeded the lot to Alexander White (see marker Lot #38), one of the original Trustees of the Town of Bath. White was regarded by his contemporaries as one of the ablest lawyers in the United States and an outstanding . . . — Map (db m117390) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Robert Throckmorton, Jr. — Lot #26
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Market Street, on the right when traveling south.
Robert Throckmorton, Jr., of Berkeley County. The lot was purchased in 1858 by David Hunter Strother, who recorded much of the early history of Bath. Strother was an artist and writer who used the pen name "Porte Crayon". Lot #26: Conveyed . . . — Map (db m117393) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Sam Purviance / George Irwin — Lot #36 / Lot #46
Near South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south.
Sam Purviance Lot #36 Sam Purviance, a merchant from Baltimore, Maryland. Michael Davis of Bath was listed as the owner in 1798 of this lot along with Lots #37 and #38. Lot #36: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Sam . . . — Map (db m117387) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Samuel Hughes — Lot #34
On Market Street east of South Washington Street (U.S. 522), on the right when traveling west.
Samuel Hughes of Maryland. It was later purchased by Capt. John Swann, owner of adjoining Lot #35. Lot #34: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Samuel Hughes, 1777.Map (db m117398) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Sir John's Run
On West Virginia Route 9 at Sir John Run Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 9.
Sir John's Run was named for Sir John Sinclair, the quartermaster for General Braddock on expedition in 1755 against the French at Fort Duquesne. James Rumsey demonstrated his steamboat here in 1785. — Map (db m13152) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Tannery vs Hotels — Washington Heritage Trail
On North Washington Street (U.S. 522) north of Congress Street, on the right when traveling north.
After the Civil War, Berkeley Springs was divided between two conflicting economic forces. Hotels and bathhouses dominated the streets surrounding the warm mineral springs. The buildings of DeFord's First National Tannery bumped up against them, . . . — Map (db m117300) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — The Sons and Daughters of Morgan County
On Fairfax Street, in the median.
In memoriam to The sons and daughters of Morgan County Through their passion, optimism courage and heroism they took up the struggle during the Second World War and made the sacrifices to perpetuate the gift our forefathers entrusted to us A . . . — Map (db m13021) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Thomas Lawson and John Orr — Lot #47
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) south of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling south.
Thomas Lawson of Prince William County, Va., and John Orr of Loudoun County, Va., co-owners of Lots #28 and #29. It was owned later by Philadelphia merchant Thomas Palmer, who also owned Lots #46 and #48. — Map (db m117388) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Tuscarora (Clinton) Sand
On West Virginia Route 9, on the right when traveling west.
The massive resistant Tuscarora Sandstone is steeply inclined here and forms Fluted Rocks. The "Tuscarora (Clinton) Sand" of the driller produces some gas although it is largely untested in West Virginia. — Map (db m13157) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Washington Heritage Trail — Panorama Overlook
On West Virginia Route 9, on the right when traveling west.
Today's View Panorama Overlook marks the north end of Cacapon Mountain's 30-mile march. Composed of Oriskany sandstone, it plunges nearly 1000 feet into the Potomac River which bends along the base of the Overlook as it heads downstream . . . — Map (db m13155) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Washington Heritage Trail
On Fairfax Street at Wilkes Street on Fairfax Street. Reported damaged.
Roman Bathhouse and Museum of the Berkeley Springs The second floor of the historic Roman Bath House, oldest public building in Berkeley Springs is the Museum of the Berkeley Springs with exhibits on the natural and cultural history of the . . . — Map (db m117306) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — West Virginia — (Morgan County)
On Hancock Road (U.S. 522) at River Road (West Virginia Route 1), on the right when traveling south on Hancock Road.
"The Mountain State" - western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. — Map (db m117370) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William Herbert / Dr. John Meade Travers — Lot #62 / Lot #61
On South Washington Street (West Virginia Route 522) at Fairfax Street, on the right when traveling north on South Washington Street.
William Herbert Lot #62 William Herbert of Alexandria, Va. Herbert, who was born in Ireland, became President of the Alexandria Bank established in 1798 and served as Mayor of Alexandria from 1808 to 1810. He was an honorary pallbearer for . . . — Map (db m117407) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William Ramsey and James Stuart — Lot #67
On Fairfax Street at North Mercer Street, on the right when traveling east on Fairfax Street.
William Ramsey and James Stuart, both of Alexandria, Va. Ramsey was one of the trustees for the City of Alexandria and owned the first house built there after the sale of town lots in 1749. He married Ann McCarty Ball, a cousin of George Washington. . . . — Map (db m117406) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — William Weathers — Lot #3
On Warren Street west of South Mercer Street when traveling east.
William Weathers, a farmer and blacksmith from Berkely County. He sold half the lot in 1785, the other half in 1795, and bought the entire lot back before 1798. Weathers bought Lot #97 the same day. Lot #3: Conveyed by the Trustees of the . . . — Map (db m117411) HM
West Virginia (Morgan County), Berkeley Springs — Windel Freshour — Lot #16
On South Washington Street (U.S. 522) near Warren Street, on the right when traveling south.
Windel Freshour of Berkeley County. Lot #16: Conveyed by the Trustees of the Town of Bath to Windel Freshour, August 25, 1777.Map (db m117394) HM

64 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.