Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Berwyn Heights, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Berwyn Heights Armed Forces Memorial image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, May 18, 2019
Berwyn Heights Armed Forces Memorial
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Berwyn Heights Armed Forces Memorial
Dedicated to all Berwyn Heights men and women who honorably served in the Armed Forces November 11, 1996 — Map (db m133945) WM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Carrington Avenue
General Edward C. Carrington (1825-1892) purchased the Yarrow land tract consisting of 150 acres and the home called Sportland for $59,000 on 9 September 1869.

In 1846, he organized Captain Carrington’s Company, 1st Regiment Virginia . . . — Map (db m50403) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Duncanson Avenue — Historic Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland —
Duncanson Avenue, currently known as Seminole Street, was named after Charles C. "Chas" or "C.C." Duncanson (circa 1846-1920). He was a lifelong resident of the District of Columbia and one of the six founders who formed the Charlton Heights . . . — Map (db m133940) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Edmonston Road — Historic Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland —
Archibald Edmonston (c. 1668-1734), born in Scotland, immigrated to Maryland in 1683, and afterward married Jane Beall. He would later become Colonel of the Prince George's County militia. In Maryland, the Edmonstons accumulated great wealth. . . . — Map (db m133938) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Keleher Avenue — Historic Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland —
In 1888, Edward Graves, a real estate developer, hired Newby & Howell, Engineers and Surveyors of Washington, D.C. to survey his 393 acres, then known as the "Graves Sub-Division", for a new suburban residential development that was called Charlton . . . — Map (db m133941) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
Welcome to the Town of Berwyn Heights Established in 1888 as a commuter suburb on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile, residential community was first named Charlton Heights and became Berwyn Heights when . . . — Map (db m115130) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
Welcome to the Town of Berwyn Heights Established in 1888 on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile residential community was first named Charlton Heights, and became Berwyn Heights when incorporated in 1896. . . . — Map (db m133942) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights — Anacostia Trails Heritage Area
Welcome to the Town of Berwyn Heights Established in 1888 as a commuter suburb on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, this approximately 1-square mile, residential community was first named Charlton Heights and became Berwyn Heights when . . . — Map (db m133947) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Washington, Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad
The Washington Spa Spring & Gretta Railroad (WSSGRR) was a streetcar that served Berwyn Heights, 1912 – 1921. Incorporated in Maryland in 1905, WSSGRR started running from 15th and H Street, NE to Bladensburg in 1910. An extension to Riverdale . . . — Map (db m95141) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Berwyn Heights — Waugh Avenue — Historic Berwyn Heights — Town of Berwyn Heights, Maryland —
James E. Waugh (1841-1895) was the driving force behind the creation of the railroad suburb that became the Town of Berwyn Heights. He began his career as a grocery merchant, worked in the Treasury Department, then took up real estate and insurance. . . . — Map (db m133944) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement