Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
1910 Bethlehem Steel Strike Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, November 30, 2013
1910 Bethlehem Steel Strike Marker
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — 1910 Bethlehem Steel Strike
In February, 1910, over 9,000 steelworkers went on strike over wages, overtime, and work conditions. A striker was shot and killed here during hostilities that ensued. The subsequent federal investigation substantiated workers' claims and . . . — Map (db m70518) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Air Products

Air Products, founded in 1940, revolutionized the supply of industrial gases on the novel concept of building a plant next to a steel mill and piping oxygen directly to the customer. That transformative idea was reflected in the "A" of Air . . . — Map (db m111838) HM

Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Bark Shed — 1766
“...16 of our Brethren, who are to go to Upper Places[?] to peel bark for our tanner, had lovefeast.” Single Brethren's Diary April 16, 1757 The large forest located north of early Bethlehem contained great quantities . . . — Map (db m26923) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Bell House — First Seminary for Girls
An early Germanic type of building; erected in 1745. Used first as the Family House. Girls' School, 1749. Bell, still in use, was cast in Bethlehem. Turret had first town clock, 1746. Weathervane is the church seal in metal. . . . — Map (db m27109) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Bethlehem Steel Plant
Headquartered here, it was one of the most important iron and steel manufacturers in the nation. In 1863, Bethlehem Iron Co. began producing railroad rails. Steel manufacturing began in 1873 with armor plate and guns forged for the US Navy. The . . . — Map (db m79612) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Brethren's House
Built 1748 by Moravians as house for single men. Early industry center: bell foundry, silkworm culture, other crafts and trades. Military hospital in Revolution. Girls' school from 1815. Now part of Moravian College and a museum. — Map (db m26904) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Butchery — 1756
Newly slaughtered cattle provided fresh, or “green,” hides for the tanner to process into leather. The tannery stood directly to the south, or left; of the butchery so that these two industries could work together in Bethlehem. . . . — Map (db m26927) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Catherine Drinker Bowen — (1897-1973)
Author & historian. Her works include books on Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. “Yankee from Olympus”, Sir Edward Coke “Lion and the Throne”, & the U.S. Constitution “Miracle at Philadelphia”. She lived here during her . . . — Map (db m79688) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Central Moravian Church — A Landmark of American Music
The annual festivals of the Bach Choir of Bethlehem were initiated on March 27, 1900 by the first American performance of the “Mass in B Minor” of Johann Sebastian Bach. — Map (db m27140) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Charles M. Schwab — (1862-1939)
American industrialist and pioneer of the US steel industry. Schwab established Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1904. By World War I, it was among the largest steel producers in the world and a major contributor to the war effort. Schwab's South . . . — Map (db m79657) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Colonial Industrial Quarter — 1741 - 1800
“They have carried the mechanical Arts to greater Perfection here than in any Place which I have seen.” John Adams to Abigail Adams April, 1777 Early Industrial History By 1745, only four years after they founded . . . — Map (db m26917) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Continental Army Honored Dead
In memory of the soldiers of the Continental Army who suffered and died in this building used as a military hospital from Dec. 1776 to April 1777 and Sept. 1777 to April 1778 — Map (db m27115) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Crown Inn
A two-story log inn, built here in 1745, was Bethlehem's first public house. Located near the ferry that crossed the Lehigh River, it was visited by famous political and military leaders of the era. A bridge replaced the ferry, 1794, and the inn . . . — Map (db m29831) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — David Tannenberg — (1728-1804)
One of America’s foremost pipe organ builders. Tannenberg, born at Berthelsdorf, Germany, emigrated to the Moravian community at Bethlehem in 1749. From 1760-65 he lived at Burnside Plantation, where he built organs as an apprentice of Johann . . . — Map (db m29781) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Dye House — 1771
“Br. Schenk began erection of new dye shop.” Single Brethren's Diary June 27, 1771 Early Bethlehem's dyers used natural materials such as indigo (blue), madder (red), logwood (purple), and fustic (yellow) to add . . . — Map (db m27068) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Edwin L. Drake
Drilled first oil well in America in 1859 at Titusville, Pa. Lived at Bethlehem in this house for last seven years of his life, 1873-1880. In 1902 his remains were moved from Bethlehem to memorial monument erected at Titusville. — Map (db m26836) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Eugene Gifford Grace — (1876-1960)
President, Bethlehem Steel, 1913-45, & chairman, 1946-57, lived here. A protιgι of industrialist Charles M. Schwab, he helped make the company the U.S.'s largest shipbuilder & 2nd largest steelmaker - a formidable supplier in two world wars. — Map (db m29826) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — First Bethlehem Pharmacy
First Bethlehem Pharmacy, In Clergy House 1743 - 1752 Established at this stand, 1752. — Map (db m27154) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — First House of Moravian Settlement
The first house of the Moravian settlement occupied March 9, 1741, stood on this site. In this house on Christmas Eve 1741 COUNT ZINZENDORF, conducting a love feast, named the place Bethlehem. — Map (db m29793) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Gemein Haus — (Clergy House)
Erected in 1741 The first house of worship in Bethlehem Home for the clergy among whom were Zinzendorf - Spangenberg Nitschmann - Ettwein - Seidel Scene of the Great Wedding July 15, 1749 Place of the only school for the . . . — Map (db m27144) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Gemeinhaus — (Clergy House)
Erected in 1741. First place of worship in Bethlehem was on the second floor. Count von Zinzendorf had quarters here, 1742. Place of many notable conferences in the Colonial and Revolutionary periods. ————— . . . — Map (db m27138) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Heckewelder House
One-half block south, stands the home of John Heckewelder, famed Indian missionary and interpreter, author of works on American Indians. House was erected in 1810. — Map (db m27192) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Henry Noll — (1871-1925)
The productivity of this Bethlehem Steel worker, referred to as "Schmidt," was key to Frederick W. Taylor's landmark book, "Principles of Scientific Management." Noll was credited with loading 45 tons of pig iron a day in 1899, to increase his day's . . . — Map (db m29931) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Hilda Doolittle — (H.D.)
The renowned poet was born here on September 10, 1886; died in Zurich, September 27, 1961. H. D. sought the Hellenic spirit and a classic beauty of expression. She is buried in nearby Nisky Hill Cemetery. "O, give me burning blue." — Map (db m29796) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Horsfield House
Built A.D. 1749. First store in the Lehigh Valley Opened A.D. 1753 in the west end of this house. Torn down A.D. 1879. — Map (db m27193) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — 2 — Iron and Steel: A History

People have been producing iron and steel for thousands of years, heating up iron ores and limestone by burning charcoal, anthracite coal or coke (a fuel derived from coal) to create a sturdy metal. Iron-whether it is hammered ("wrought") . . . — Map (db m111844) HM

Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — John Frederick Wolle — (1863 - 1933)
Organist, composer, and conductor. A major interpreter of J.S. Bach's music. He founded the Bethlehem Bach Festival and conducted the Bach Choir of Bethlehem, 1898-1905 and 1911-1932. Wolle was born and raised here in Main Hall. — Map (db m27164) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — John Fritz — (1822-1913)
The famed mechanical engineer was superintendent of Johnstown's Cambria Iron Works, 1854-60, & Bethlehem Iron Company, 1860-92. Pioneered in production of rails and armor plate. A Lehigh trustee, he endowed the engineering laboratory here. — Map (db m79837) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Lafayette
Here stood the George Frederick Beckel house, 1762-1872, famed as the place where General Lafayette convalesced from a leg wound suffered at the Battle of Brandywine, 1777. Beckel was then superintendent of the community farm here in Bethlehem. — Map (db m26877) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Luckenbach Mill — 1869
The high quality flour produced by the Luckenbach Mill was obtained from grain grown in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota, and other parts of the mid-west. After processing in Bethlehem, the flour was marketed throughout the Lehigh Valley and the . . . — Map (db m27069) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Miller's House — 1782 / 1834
“Last night about 11 o-clock the alarm of fire was heard in our streets...It was occasioned by the discovery of fire in the old ‘Bethlehem Mill,’...A narrow escape of a sick lady was among the serious events of this memorable night...” . . . — Map (db m27075) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Moravian Archives
Repository for records of the Moravian Church, first organized in 1757. The Archives holds a unique collection of manuscripts, books, music and images relating to the history of the Moravians in North America from 1740 to the present. — Map (db m29782) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Moravian Cemetery
Used as a burial place, 1742-1910. Site selected and consecrated by Count von Zinzendorf. Only flat gravestones were permitted. Here are the graves of persons of various nationalities and races. — Map (db m29784) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Moravian Community
Community organized June 25, 1742. The oldest buildings are on West Church Street. Those marked are; Gemeinhaus, Sisters' House, Bell House, Brothers' House, and Old Chapel. — Map (db m26907) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — 3 — Moving Materials — The Hoover-Mason Trestle

The walkway you're standing on is the Hoover-Mason Trestle, an elevated rail line built to transport raw materials to the blast furnaces. Named after the engineering firm that designed and built it, the Trestle was in use from 1907 until . . . — Map (db m111847) HM

Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Oil Mill — 1765
“Notice is hereby given to the Public, that the new oil Mill at Bethlehem for rubbing Hemp will be a going before Christmas. But the new Oil Mill will not be finished till the Latter end of Januario or in Febr. next year 1766...” Oil . . . — Map (db m27080) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Old Chapel
The second place of worship, 1751-1806. Here many noted persons of the American Revolution heard early Moravian music and the Gospel. Prominent clergy were Bishops Nitschmann, Spangenberg, de Watteville, and Ettwein. — Map (db m27165) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Old Waterworks
As early as 1754, water was pumped from a spring to a water tower, that stood east of here, through hollowed trunks of trees. It then flowed by gravity to five cisterns or reservoirs. Original engine house stands about 60 yds. S.W. — Map (db m27146) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Pottery
“Today we made the beginning in the ground breaking for our new potter's house, which will be built toward the Monocacy, westward from the Gemein and Choir Houses, in such a way that a row of still needed shops can be added later in a . . . — Map (db m26919) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Pulaski's Banner
While Pulaski guarded this area in 1778, the Moravian women made a banner which his cavalry bore until he died at the Siege of Savannah in 1779. The banner was later immortalized in a poem by Longfellow. — Map (db m27195) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Restoration of the Nain-Schober House — 429 Heckewelder Place
This is the last remaining home from the American Indian mission village of Nain which existed from 1758-1765 in the vicinity of 12th and 13th Avenues in West Bethlehem. The house was originally built around 1758 by Moravian missionaries with help . . . — Map (db m27194) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Robert H. Sayre — (1824-1907)
The engineer and philanthropist lived here. Directed construction, Lehigh Valley Railroad. A founder, Bethlehem Iron Co. Benefactor to St. Luke's Hospital, Church of the Nativity, and Bishopthorpe Girls School. Charter trustee, Lehigh University. — Map (db m29825) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Samuel Wetherill — (1821-1890)
Chemist, industrialist, inventor, and Civil War officer. In 1852 he developed a process for extracting white zinc oxide directly from zinc ore. In 1853 he founded the Lehigh Zinc Co., with a plant here, pioneering the manufacture of zinc spelter and . . . — Map (db m29932) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Sisters' House
Built in 1744. Brothers' House until 1748. Here unmarried sisters plied many of the arts and crafts for women. In 1778, Pulaski's banner was made by them. ————— Erected A.D. 1742. Prior to 1748 used as a . . . — Map (db m27159) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Smith Complex — 1750 - 1761
“...The houses of the congregation were well built, and there were all sorts of manufacturing establishments there...There were good carpenters, cabinet-makers, steel-workers, and very good blacksmiths...” Baroness von Riedesel's . . . — Map (db m26918) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Springhouse — 1764
In 1747, the Moravians fenced in the spring to keep out domestic animals and fowl. Early recoreds also state that one a year, two men were assigned to clean the spring “by the light of the moon.” A bountiful spring was one of the . . . — Map (db m27102) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Sun Inn
Erection begun, 1758; enlarged and altered in 19th century. Considered one of the best inns of its time. Here many notable patriots and military leaders of the Revolutionary War period were entertained. — Map (db m26878) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Tawery — 1768
In the early years of Bethlehem, the tawer processed sheepskins almost exclusively. However, after the 1760s, inventories indicate that deerskins became the primary source of leather for the tawing industry. The tawer used sheepskins and . . . — Map (db m27103) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — The Old Chapel
Before and during the American Revolution many noted patriots worshiped here, including George Washington, Martha Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Count Casimir Pulaski and the Marquis de Lafayette. In 1792 . . . — Map (db m27189) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — The Unknown Soldier
Within this crypt rests the bones of an unknown soldier in the war for Independence. He was one of more than five hundred men who died in the hospital here at Bethlehem, and was buried on this hill side. — Map (db m29795) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Waterworks — 1762
“They have a Sett of Pumps which go by Water, which force the water up through leaden Pipes, from the River to the Top of the Hill, near an hundred feet.” John Adams to Abigail Adams 1777 A bountiful spring supplied . . . — Map (db m27191) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — West Hall — 1859
Built as an additional dormitory five years after Main Hall during a period of rapid expansion. Now occupied by the Moravian College Music Department. — Map (db m27163) HM

52 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement