Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Biloxi, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Archaeological Findings Marker in foreground with Weeping Angel statue in background. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
Archaeological Findings Marker in foreground with Weeping Angel statue in background.
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Archaeological Findings
Sadly, Hurricane Katrina in 2005 devastated the Moran Art Studio, but it did allow exploration of the rest of the site. Faculty and students from the University of Southern Mississippi conducted archaeological excavations from 2005 until 2012. In . . . — Map (db m102261) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Back Bay Factories Historic Biloxi
In 1880, self-made entrepreneurs Lazaro Lopez, F. William Elmer, William Gorenflo, James Maycock, and William K. M. Dukate formed a company that would launch Biloxi's seafood industry. Inexperience did not thwart the partners. Dukate traveled to . . . — Map (db m102241) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Beauvoir
Built 1852-4. Last home of Jefferson Davis, U.S. Senator, Congressman, Secretary of War, and only President of Confederacy. Beauvoir served as a Confederate Veterans' home from 1903 until 1956. — Map (db m92604) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi
Founded by the French as "New Biloxi." Capital of French colony of Louisiana, 1721-1722, prior to French removal to New Orleans. Incorporated as a town in 1850 by the Mississippi Legislature. — Map (db m68449) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — 108 — Biloxi Blues
Front The Mississippi coast, long a destination for pleasure seekers, tourists, and gamblers, as well as maritime workers and armed services personnel, developed a flourishing nightlife during the segregation era. While most venues . . . — Map (db m90623) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Cemetery Historic Biloxi
Historians believe that the oldest and southernmost section of the Biloxi Cemetery was the burying place for French settlers during the early 1700s and for generations thereafter. The first officially written record of the land on which the . . . — Map (db m102255) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi City Hall Historic Biloxi
The City of Biloxi adopted this building as its city hall in 1960, but it was originally built as a combined post office, federal courthouse, and customs house. Federal funds for the construction were secured through the efforts of the Biloxi . . . — Map (db m102246) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi City Park & Welcome Sign Historic Biloxi
This Biloxi welcome arch originally stood at the northeast entrance of Biloxi's old City Park, which was on the northwest corner of Reynoir Street and south of the Louisville and Nashville Railroad depot. The Biloxi Commercial Club and the City of . . . — Map (db m102251) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse
Since its construction in 1848, this cast iron lighthouse has been the landmark for which Biloxi-bound vessels sail. Tended by the Younghans family, father, mother and daughter, from late 1866 until 1929. — Map (db m22778) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse
Constructed in sections by the firm of Murray and Hazelhurst of Baltimore, Maryland, the Biloxi lighthouse arrived at this location aboard the brig General North and was erected in 1848. A cast iron sheath lined with locally made brick, the 48-foot . . . — Map (db m95447) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi Lighthouse Historic Biloxi
In 1848, the United States Lighthouse Service erected the South's first cast-iron lighthouse, in Biloxi on a low sandy bluff overlooking the Mississippi Sound. The tower was fabricated by the Murray and Hazelhurst Vulcan Works of Baltimore, . . . — Map (db m102221) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Biloxi's Famous Schooner Races Historic Biloxi
The Biloxi schooner was first and foremost the work horse of the seafood industry, but during the summer off-season it played a role in maritime sport and recreation. As early as the 1830s, Biloxi-built schooners were used for fishing and . . . — Map (db m102248) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Birthplace of Barq's
Barq's root beer was created by Edward C. Barq, Sr. in 1898 and produced on this site until 1936, when the operation moved to Lameuse Street. A Mississippi Gulf Coast favorite, the number of franchise bottlers grew to over two hundred by 1950. . . . — Map (db m68425) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Brielmaier House
This house was built in 1895 for Mrs. Henry Graves and soon sold to her brother, Paul W. Brielmaier. A skilled carpenter who was superintendent and later owner of a local millwork company. Brielmaier may have constructed the house as a showcase for . . . — Map (db m91144) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Cathedral of the Nativity (B.V.M.)
Parent Catholic Parish on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, continuing missions dating back to French Colonial era. First church on this site dedicated 1844. Rebuilt after fire in 1900. Dedicated Cathedral for Diocese of Biloxi 1977. Restored in 1989 . . . — Map (db m22980) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — 21 — Chris LeDoux
(front) Born in Biloxi, Chris LeDoux (1948-2005), the Singing Bronc Rider, pursued dreams of success as both a competitive rodeo cowboy and latter day Western singing star and achieved both. The 1976 World Champion Bareback Bronc Rider . . . — Map (db m79086) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Church of the Redeemer
The Carpenter Gothic style Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, built 1873-74 was located here. Among the church's parishioners was former Confederate President Jefferson Davis. In 1892, a new church, designed by architect Thomas Sully, was constructed . . . — Map (db m102182) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Civil Rights Wade-Ins
On May 14, 1959, April 24, 1960, and June 23, 1963, the Biloxi beach front was the site of planned civil rights wade-ins demanding equal access to the public beach. On April 24, 1960, several citizens, both black and white, were injured and . . . — Map (db m68460) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Coast Guard Station Barracks
Built here in 1934 as part of a U.S. Coast Guard base, the barracks was an E-shaped, Spanish Colonial Revival style building made of reinforced concrete. Arcaded porches lined the building's wings and central pavilion, which had an octagonal . . . — Map (db m102175) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Debuys-Hermann-Keller House
The Greek Revival mansion once located here was a "raised cottage" (meaning it was composed of a frame upper story set upon an above-ground brick basement to protect the wooden portion from moisture and insects.) Probably built ca. 1850 for Peter . . . — Map (db m68423) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Deer Island Coastal Preserve
Through most of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th, Deer Island was owned and occupied by the Baker Family, descendents of Josephus Aiken, who acquired ownership by a patent signed by President James K. Polk. In 1951, Robert D. Sanders, . . . — Map (db m102183) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Downtown Biloxi Historic Biloxi
The development of downtown Biloxi paralleled the economic growth of the city. Biloxi's first economic boom occurred during the antebellum period when daily stops by a steamboat packet between New Orleans and Mobile turned the small village into . . . — Map (db m102243) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Father Ryan House
Known as the Father Ryan House, the Greek Revival house once located here was built ca. 1840 by Judge W.C. Wade of Natchez. Among the area's first vacation villas, it was sold to New Orleans architect T.W. Carter in 1885, and was altered. It may be . . . — Map (db m102178) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — French Colonial Memorial Garden
In the early 1700's, "New Biloxi" served as a staging ground for thousands of European immigrants brought over to work the inland concessions. This cemetery had first been revealed in 1969 after Hurricane Camille and was fully exposed by Hurricane . . . — Map (db m102260) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — High Water Mark City of Biloxi, Mississippi Visitors Center, 1050 Beach Boulevard
This plaque is dedicated to bring awareness to the surge and high water levels from Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Camille. Both storms brought about great devastation and loss of life to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina made landfall . . . — Map (db m91142) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — High Water Mark City of Biloxi, Mississippi Katrina Memorial, 710 Beach Boulevard
This plaque is dedicated to bring awareness to the surge and high water levels from Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Camille. Both storms brought about great devastation and loss of life to the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Hurricane Katrina made landfall . . . — Map (db m102368) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Historic Downtown Biloxi
The development of downtown Biloxi is a direct reflection of the economic growth of the city. During early and mid-19th century homes on small lots and hotels occupied the area. Attracted by the population density, merchants began to establish . . . — Map (db m91146) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Historic Downtown Biloxi Walking Tour
Historic downtown Biloxi has seen many changes over the decades caused by disasters both natural and man-made including fires, hurricanes, and urban renewal. Today visitors will find an eclectic blend of old and new architecture. Downtown includes . . . — Map (db m107244) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Moran Site
Located here was a French Colonial cemetery, now known as the Moran Site. Based on archaeological investigations, the cemetery dates to the founding of "New Biloxy" between 1717 and 1722, and includes at least thirty burials, primarily male . . . — Map (db m68448) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Old Brick House
Site granted by Spanish to Jean Baptiste Carquote in 1790. Residence in Civil War of Mayor John L. Henley, who led defense against Union fleet, Sept., 1861. Restoration by Biloxi Garden Clubs. — Map (db m42855) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Pierre LeMoyne Sieur d'Iberville 1661-1706
Canada's first hero was sent by King Louis XIV to locate the mouth of the Mississippi River from the Gulf of Mexico. His landing on the Biloxi peninsula in 1699 began the colonization of the Mississippi Coast and the Louisiana Territory. This . . . — Map (db m91140) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Point Cadet Historic Biloxi
Point Cadet encompasses the eastern tip of the Biloxi Peninsula. "Cadet" (pronounced Ka-day) is the French word for junior or younger. In early records, it is shown as "Point-a-Cadda." Over time it became "Point Caddy." More recently, it has been . . . — Map (db m102249) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Robinson-Maloney-Dantzler House
Originally a raised-cottage Greek Revival mansion similar to Beauvoir, the house located here was built ca. 1849 by J.G. Robinson, a wealthy English cotton planter. It was the center of an estate that included a ten-pin bowling alley, billiard . . . — Map (db m68456) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Sea Turtles of the Mississippi Sound
The waters of Mississippi commonly support three of seven sea turtles species that call the Gulf of Mexico home: the Green (Chelonia mydas), the Loggerhead (Caretta caretta), and the Kemp's Ridley (Lepidochelys kempii). They . . . — Map (db m107243) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Slavic Benevolent Association
Originally on this site was the Slavic Benevolent Association Lodge, a 13,000 sq. ft. structure with a meeting hall accommodating 600 people. Known as the Slavonian Lodge, the building served as a social center for the large number of ethnic Slavs . . . — Map (db m102174) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Evolution of Biloxi Tourism Historic Biloxi
During the early 19th Century, the Biloxi peninsula was sparsely populated with a few French speaking families. The 1827 establishment of steamboat service between New Orleans and Mobile, via Lake Pontchartrain, served as a catalyst for the . . . — Map (db m102223) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Landing of Pierre LeMoyne D'Iberville Historic Biloxi
The 17th Century struggle among the French Spanish, and English for supremacy on the North American continent led the Bourbon King of France, Louis XIV to sanction an expedition from France to the Gulf of Mexico in 1698. The command was given . . . — Map (db m102218) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Magnolia Hotel
Built by John Hohn in 1847. Its operation for a century attests to the Gulf Coast as a resort area. In 1972 structure moved to present location 100 yds. north of original site & restored by City of Biloxi. — Map (db m68447) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Memorial Garden
In February, 2012, the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources acquired nearly an acre of land located at 110 Porter Avenue, Biloxi, to preserve a time in history, long forgotten.The remains of 32 French servants were recovered during two . . . — Map (db m102262) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — The Moran Site History
The Moran Site is a French cemetery dating from ca. 1720-22 and is among the oldest and most significant French colonial sites in the U.S. Human remains near the site were first uncovered in 1914; stories abounded as to the identity of the . . . — Map (db m102257) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tivoli Hotel
A six-story, blonde-brick structure with an arcaded gallery that wrapped its first story, the Italian Renaissance Revival-style Tivoli Hotel was one of Biloxi's early 20th century resorts, built in 1926-27 to designs by local architect Carl E. . . . — Map (db m68464) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Tullis-Toledano House
One of the most substantial of the vacation houses on the Gulf Coast, the Tullis Toledano House was built in 1856 for New Orleans native Christoval Sebastian Toledano (1789-1869) and his wife, Matilda Pradat Toledano. The estate, composed of a . . . — Map (db m102171) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Vance-Gillis House
Built in the 1830s, the French Creole house once located here incorporated Federal and Greek Revival decorative influences in its design. The gallery completely encircled the house, and its slender, colonnettes supported a broad hipped roof with . . . — Map (db m102173) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — White House Hotel
Established as the White House Inn in 1895, this hotel was first operated as a boarding house by Cora White. By 1910 the White House had grown in popularity and become a tourist destination. The campus encompassed seven residential . . . — Map (db m102179) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — William Bartram Trail
William Bartram, noted naturalist and journalist, traveled down the Mississippi and along the Gulf Coast in 1777. His observations of plant life, geography and inhabitants were published in 1791. — Map (db m79087) HM
Mississippi (Harrison County), Biloxi — Woolmarket
S. 3 mi. Once center of wool industry. Here on July 16, 1910, three rural schools formed Woolmarket Vocational High School, considered to be the first consolidated high school in the state. — Map (db m20010) HM

46 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement