Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Birmingham, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Bell Building and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel S., July 26, 2015
Bell Building and Marker
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Bell Building
In 1915, Samuel Oliver Wylie Bell, at one time Village Trustee, bought out his partner George Daines in the combined furniture store and undertaking establishment and built a two story brick structure. In 1929, the store was remodeled and S.S. . . . — Map (db m86485) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Billy McBride Building122 West Maple
This building was erected by Billy McBride in 1925. It is located on the site of an old fire-hose drying tower, which was built in 1892 and razed in 1920. After Hallock's Grocery closed, McBride expanded his candy store and restaurant into the . . . — Map (db m86302) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — City Hall
City Hall was built in 1928 and housed the village and township offices, as well as, the fire and police departments. The tower was used for drying fire hoses until about 1950. It was also designed to accommodate a clock. A Civic Center plan, . . . — Map (db m86291) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Field Building
The two story brick building was erected before 1920, by Mr. Ford, who had a paint and hardware business in the west side of the first floor. In the east side there was a 5 & 10˘ Store. In 1923, there was a severe fire in the building which resulted . . . — Map (db m86290) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Ford Building101 North Old Woodward
This structure was built in 1896 by Frank Ford, who built the Ford-Peabody House in 1878. The corner was occupied by Levinson's Department Store from 1897 to 1916. Two smaller businesses occupied units at the extreme west and north ends. The First . . . — Map (db m86377) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Huston Building
Elmer Huston had this building constructed with two stores on the ground level and apartments above in 1923. It housed the post office and a variety store from 1924 to 1928. In 1929, the Mulholland Dry Goods Company moved into both spaces. The . . . — Map (db m86486) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — Johnston-Shaw Building
Dr. Daniel Johnston, dentist, and Dr. Ninian T. Shaw, a physician, had this two story brick commercial building erected in 1905. The facade of this building was extended north to include the O'Neal Building (112 South Old Woodward) and give the . . . — Map (db m86303) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Birmingham Theater Building
The Briggs Investment Company and John H. Kunsky Theatrical Enterprises erected this large building in 1926 to contain shops, offices, a bowling alley in the basement, and a motion picture theater with facilities for vaudeville productions. The . . . — Map (db m86304) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Erity-Nixon Building
This red brick building was erected in the 1880's by William Erity and his son-in-law, Chauncy Nixon. The Erity family and later the Nixon family owned and operated a mill near the corner of Evergreen Road and Riverside Drive in Beverly Hills. The . . . — Map (db m86379) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The National Bank Building
In 1919, on the former site of the old National Hotel, George Mitchell and Almeron Whitehead erected this building to house the First National Bank and various shops. Throughout the decades, different banks have occupied this building, including the . . . — Map (db m86378) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Quarton Building
Fred V. Quarton erected this building in 1916 on the site of the family home of his wife, Emma Blakeslee. Through the years, the facade at street level has changed several times, but the second floor has kept its original appearance even including . . . — Map (db m86301) HM
Michigan (Oakland County), Birmingham — The Shain Townhouses
These townhouses were built as two story attached dwelling units in the Arts and Crafts style in 1916. Their use is commercial now, but their appearance is still very much as it originally was. — Map (db m86369) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.