Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
6 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Blue Mounds

 
Blue Mounds Fort Marker image, Touch for more information
By William J. Toman, June 20, 2010
Blue Mounds Fort Marker
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 29 — Blue Mounds Fort
The onset of the Black Hawk War in northwestern Illinois in April, 1832 triggered panic in southwestern Wisconsin's lead mining region, prompting erection of over a dozen stockades. On an open prairie knoll 3/4 mile south of this marker, area miners . . . — Map (db m35412) HM
2Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 18 — Brigham Park
Ebenezer Brigham (1789-1861), first permanent white settler of Dane County, came here as a prospector in 1828. The inn he built for his miners became popular with travelers on the old Military Road, and Blue Mounds became a well-known landmark. . . . — Map (db m36125) HM
3Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Brigham Park
You are looking north from the Military Ridge toward Mazomanie, which lies in the Wisconsin River Valley. Beyond the Wisconsin River bluffs, on a clear day, the higher Baraboo Hills can be seen 35 miles away. These hills, with some of the oldest . . . — Map (db m36986) HM
4Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Elvers CornerVermont Township
This corner has a colorful background as the site of a saw mill, grist mill, post office, grocery store, hotel, blacksmith shop, dance hall and until 1958 the Town Hall. In 1847 Samuel Lattimer built a saw mill that operated until 1865 when it was . . . — Map (db m55592) HM
5Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — 38 — German ValleyEvangelical Lutheran Parochial Schule
German immigrant families from Hesse began settling in this area of Blue Mounds Township in the 1840s. As early as 1856, Lutheran missionaries conducted home services for the rural community. In 1867, on acreage purchased from Justus Heuser, a frame . . . — Map (db m75828) HM
6Wisconsin (Dane County), Blue Mounds — Site of Blue Mounds Fort
Built in May 1832 by the miners and settlers of the neighborhood and garrisoned by them as volunteer members of General Henry Dodge's Iowa-Michigan Brigade from May 20 to September 20, 1832 during the Black Hawk War This site was donated . . . — Map (db m36980) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2020