12 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Bluff
By Bill Kirchner, May 18, 2016
Amasa Barton's Blacksmith Shop Marker
|A blacksmith shop with a skilled blacksmith was a necessity. Amasa Barton (Joseph Barton's brother) was kept busy fitting horseshoes, repairing wagons and making , sharpening and repairing everything from farming implement to carpentry tools.
In . . . — — Map (db m95040) HM|
|William H. Jackson of the United States Geological and Geographical survey conducted the first formal archeological exploration of the Comb Ridge area. Originating in the Colorado Territory, Jackson and his team reached Comb Ridge by following . . . — — Map (db m95034) HM|
|As winter storm approached, four nearly starved scouts, George Hobbs, George Morrill, Lemuel Redd, Sr. and George Sevey, sought shelter for the night in this area on December 27, 1879. The scouts were exploring for a feasible route for the 250 . . . — — Map (db m95035) HM|
| Built in 1890's by Jens Nielson
Born in Denmark in 1820
Member of handcart company of 1856, to S.L.C.
First Mormon Bishop of Bluff 1880-1906 — — Map (db m95042) HM|
|In honor of her courage, faith, compassion, friendship, love, and medical service to the greater Bluff community from 1882-1906.
In addition to serving the children as Bluff's Primary president for 25 years, Josephine Wood was called by Bishop . . . — — Map (db m95037) HM|
|The Jones log cabin was located in the northwest corner of the fort. Near the turn of the century, the Joneses constructed an elegant stone home adjacent to their original cabin. Fire destroyed the Jones home in 1975.
In 1896, a gold rush brought . . . — — Map (db m95038) HM|
|In 1879, at age 17, Parley R. Butt was one of 26 men who scouted possible routes for the San Juan Mission and established Montezuma Fort. A few months later, he traveled with the main group of pioneers as they blazed the Hole-in-the-Rock road. In . . . — — Map (db m95041) HM|
|Sketched by Remington Lange 1893 Bluff's log meetinghouse was the center of all public gatherings for the small community on the remote San Juan frontier. The meetinghouse, which was part of the north wall of the Bluff Fort, served as . . . — — Map (db m149540) HM|
| • Member of San Juan Mission Exploring Party • Driver of one of first wagons through Hole-in-the-Rock • First Superintendent of San Juan Schools • Church Leader and Missionary to Indians — — Map (db m150070) HM|
|Upon the pioneers' arrival in the Bluff valley, water for cooking and drinking was carried from the San Juan River. According to Mary Mackelprang Jones, water from the San Juan “O was so hard and muddy cottonwood ashes were put in it to stand . . . — — Map (db m95039) HM|
|The community's co-op store was located in the northeast corner of the fort. This cooperative venture, which provided a means for buying, selling and trading, became very successful. The Navajos and Utes also frequented the store, trading their . . . — — Map (db m95036) HM|
|Bluff was the first settlement of the white man in San Juan County and its first county seat. It was founded April 6, 1880 by the San Juan Mission "called" by the L.D.S. Church to establish friendly relations with the Indians. A small band of . . . — — Map (db m95043) HM|