Named for Harry Lamar Curtis, mayor of Brady who instigated offer of this field to the United States government during World War II. Born in 1903 in Dallas, H.L. Curtis was educated at the University of Dallas, Southern Methodist University, and . . . — — Map (db m116319) HM
The East Sweden community was settled in the late 1880s by Swedish immigrants who had originally established homes in Williamson County. By 1889 twelve families had relocated here and built homes. Most of the settlers were Lutherans, and they held . . . — — Map (db m116446) HM
Alexander (d. 1896) and Isabella (d. 1898) Mitchell came to this area in 1878 with their children. Alex, a surveyor, farmed and ranched. Daughter Elizabeth Mitchell Bradley, a widow, reared her sons on her parents' homesite and, in 1900, deeded the . . . — — Map (db m90745) HM
Distinguished Ranger, frontier surveyor, Indian fighter, lawman, statesman and military commander.
Born in Tennessee. Followed David Crockett to Texas to fight in War for Independence. Commanded one of the “Twin Sisters” cannon in . . . — — Map (db m116317) HM
On November 21, 1831, James Bowie, Rezin P. Bowie, David Buchanan, Cephas D. Hamm, Matthew Doyle, Jesse Wallace, Thomas McCaslin, Robert Armstrong, James Coryell with two servants, Charles and Gonzales, held at bay for a day and night, 164 Caddos . . . — — Map (db m116226) HM
Created Aug. 27, 1856. One of 128 counties formed from Bexar County that extended from the Rio Grande to the Panhandle, and as far west as El Paso. Named for Texas hero, Ben McCulloch, who fought in Texas Revolution, Indian, Mexican and Civil Wars. . . . — — Map (db m116316) HM
County organized 1876, with Brady as county seat; first courthouse built 1879.
Present courthouse (second and on same site) completed 1900; and Moodie, contractors, for "turn key" construction. Local labor and materials were used as far as . . . — — Map (db m112230) HM
Constructed 1909-1910, this was the second building to serve as the McCulloch County jail. This red brick Romanesque Revival style edifice was built by the Southern Structural Steel Co. of San Antonio. Sheriff T.L. Sansom was the first occupant of . . . — — Map (db m116224) HM
One night in 1866, five men from Richland Springs (about 25 mi. ne) recovered stolen horses from Indians camped near here. A metal arrow hit a Mr. Lafferty, slid halfway around his skull, was cut out with a pocket knife, and Lafferty survived. The . . . — — Map (db m116445) HM
Here was stationed, 1862-1864, Captain W.G. O’Brien’s company of mounted volunteers, a unit of the Frontier Regiment organized to protect the frontier against Indians. The regiment in 1864 became the Forty-Sixth Texas Cavalry in the Confederate Army. — — Map (db m90987) HM
Helped to populate county, 1886 to 1912, settling three areas East Sweden, West Sweden, and Melvin. Most of 95 families who colonized here were farmers, others were carpenters, stone masons, and blacksmiths. They established thriving farm economy . . . — — Map (db m116511) HM
The Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railway built the first rail line into Brady in 1903. Eight years later the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad constructed a second line into town. This depot, built in 1911, was designed for passenger use for both . . . — — Map (db m116318) HM
Through this gap in hills called "Brady Mountains" passed the western cattle trail, also known as "Dodge City Trail", "Fort Griffin Trail", or "The Beef Trail". Said to have originated in 1876, this was the last of the old-time Texas cattle trails, . . . — — Map (db m81877) HM