Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bridgeport, California Historical Markers

 
"Bridgeport Inn" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, August 6, 2008
"Bridgeport Inn" Marker
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — "Bridgeport Inn"
The old Levitt House which became The Bridgeport Hotel and is now the Bridgeport Inn was built in 1877 by Sam Hopkins for Hiram L. Leavitt. Weary travelers in the old west used this historic hotel as a stage and buggy stop to and from the Bodie gold . . . — Map (db m10365) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — "The Irwin"
Presented to the town of Bridgeport by J. S. Cain in 1914. Built in 1881 by J. Renault, machinist for the Standard Co. of Bodie, Calif. This cannon was never fired. — Map (db m10323) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Chronicle-Union
On this site stood the original office of the Bridgeport Chronicle - Union newspaper. In 1880, while still publishing the "Bodie Chronicle", the Folger Brothers, Robert and Alex, started the "Bridgeport Union". The first number of the Bridgeport . . . — Map (db m37622) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Bridgeport Elementary School
Built in 1880, this historic building was used until October, 1964. Plans for a new school building called for the destruction of this one. It was saved by the Mono County Historical Society, the citizens of Bridgeport and Mono County. Through the . . . — Map (db m10324) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Dynamo Plant and Pond
Completed December 1, 1892, by the Standard Consolidated Mining Company, this hydro-electric generating plant began operation in October 1893. Electricity was transmitted over a 13 mile line to the mining company’s 20 stamp mill at Bodie. This . . . — Map (db m49953) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — East Walker Toll House
Henry Hayes lived in the toll house building on this site and collected tolls beginning about 1880 and continued until the county purchased the road in 1915. State ownership occurred August 21, 1833. Tolls were 25˘ for saddle horsed, 75˘ for teams, . . . — Map (db m49889) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — First Bridgeport Courthouse
Located near this site was the first courthouse in the town of Bridgeport. Previously, the county courthouse was in Aurora (the county seat established in 1861) However, a state boundary survey completed in 1863 determined that town was actually in . . . — Map (db m8545) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Fremont’s Trail 1844
On January 27th, a cold winter day in 1844, Captain John C. Fremont and his guide Kit Carson, led as small band of half-starved men west past this point. They were in search of the fabled Buena Ventura River, which they believed would give them easy . . . — Map (db m49887) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Frontier Justice
On this site, Bridgeport's most sensational court trial occurred June 9th, 1891. Ah Quong Tai, a local Chinese businessman accused of the cannibalistic murder of Poker Tom, a well known Paiute Indian, appeared in court defended by two attorneys, . . . — Map (db m37596) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Hunewill Upper SawmillBuckeye Canyon – 1863
Napoleon Bonaparte Hunewill and his wife Esther arrive in San Francisco from Maine in 1859, and early in 1861 they came to Aurora. Late fall found them building a home at Buckeye Hot Springs. In 1862, N.B. Hunewill has the Eagle Creek Lumber Mill in . . . — Map (db m49956) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Little Bodie
East of this site was located the Little Bodie mines. Organized in the 1930s it was composed of 5 mines or claims which produced high grade ore containing galena, pyrites, sulphide and gold valued at $12 to $15 per ton. During its heyday the . . . — Map (db m89290) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Masonic
Although gold was discovered here in 1860, it was not until about 1900 that Joseph Green staked the rich Jump Up Joe Mine. On the Fourth of July, 1902, J. S. Bryan and Caleb Dorsey made an exciting find and called it the Pittsburg-Liberty to honor a . . . — Map (db m37631) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Mono County Court House
Since April 1, 1881 with the trial of Morton, indicted for theft of gold bullion from the Standard Co. of Bodie, the scales of justice in this building have continuously weighed the problems of Mono County from infancy to this present day. This . . . — Map (db m10322) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Mono County Memorial HallAlta Lodge No. 333
Alta Lodge No. 333, Free and Accepted Masons was chartered on October 15. 1897. The original lodge hall was in the brick building at the corner of Hwy. 395 and Hayes Street. The Lodge moved to this location in 1955. An ever changing society . . . — Map (db m49958) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Old County Jail
Since the formation of Mono County in 1861, six facilities have served as the county jail. This stone building was placed into service by Sheriff C.F. McKinney, Dec. 5, 1883, and became the 5th Mono County Jail. It replaced the wooden jail facility . . . — Map (db m10364) HM
California (Mono County), Bridgeport — Poor Farm
It began as the county hospital in Bodie in 1879. With the decline of Bodie in the mid 1880’s, the hospital was moved eventually to a site east of this monument and Highway 395 to the rear of the small meadow that you see. At that time it became . . . — Map (db m11347) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement