Eastern gateway to Permian Basin, in Coke County called Oso and Broncho in early 1880's. Formally named for English novelist Charlotte Bronte, in 1890, incorporated 1907.
Basic agricultural economy, predominately ranching. Site of major oil . . . — — Map (db m77860) HM
Built by local stonemason James C. Lammers (1874-1942), this depot was completed in 1911, two years after the first train arrived in Bronte. Built of locally quarried materials, the depot features stone lintels and window sills and a red tile roof. . . . — — Map (db m12236) HM
(Front Side, Center Panel)
Dedicated to the veterans of all wars who freely and courageously joined in the great world-wide conflicts for the preservation of peace freedom and democracy
Killed in Action
Verdon T. Allen • Joey . . . — — Map (db m18739) HM
Organized by visiting minister W.G. Green and a congregation of three on June 19, 1887, the Baptist Church in Bronte met in homes. In 1890 a brush arbor was built and the Rev. R.M. Cumbie was called as first pastor. Services were later held in the . . . — — Map (db m82380) HM
This congregation traces its history to the summer of 1890, when a small group of worshipers led by the Rev. J.W. Montgomery gathered under a brush arbor on East Kickapoo Creek to organize a church. Later that year the Rev. G.F. Fair became the . . . — — Map (db m82379) HM
Fort Chadbourne C.S.A.
Located 8 mi. north on old Butterfield Stageline. Upon secession, company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for many Union . . . — — Map (db m82378) HM
Passed near this site, providing for the first time combined passenger and mail service between Pacific and Atlantic coasts. Operating west from St. Louis and Memphis, John Butterfield’s company used 1,350 horses and mules and 90 Concord coaches and . . . — — Map (db m83088) HM