Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Burke, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Bog Wallow Ambush Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 20, 2016
Bog Wallow Ambush Marker
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Bog Wallow Ambush
On 4 December 1861, fifty-five men of the 3rd New Jersey Infantry, Col. George W. Taylor commanding, set an ambush nearby in retaliation for attacks on Union pickets. They stretched two telegraph wires across Braddock Road at the eastern end of a . . . — Map (db m72404) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — BW-3 — Burke Station
Burke Station was raided in December, 1862, by Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart. It was from this site, originally Burke Station Depot, that he sent his famous telegram to Union Quartermaster General Meigs complaining of the poor quality of the . . . — Map (db m12) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Burke's StationThe Christmas Raid
After the Battle of Fredericksburg in December 1862, most of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia settled into winter quarters except for Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's cavalry, which instead went on the move. Wade Hampton, Fitzhugh Lee, . . . — Map (db m83049) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Burke's StationWood Choppers and Teamsters
During the Civil War, African American laborers chopped wood and conveyed it to Burke’s Station, a major Federal timber transportation station located here on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad. To supply the Union army and engineers with timber for . . . — Map (db m88520) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Copperthite Racetrack
In 1897 Henry Copperthite, a Georgetown businessman, purchased Silas Burke’s farm. In 1907 he constructed, according to a newspaper account, the “very best” harness racing facility “of its kind in the country.” The . . . — Map (db m93999) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Lee Chapel Church1871 - 1951
On this site stood Lee Chapel, a Methodist Episcopal Church, built 1871 and named in honor of General Robert E. Lee. Lee Chapel replaced Mount Carmel Church which had been located at Ox Road and present day Lee Chapel Road and had been destroyed by . . . — Map (db m11) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — E-95 — Silas Burke House
Here lived Lt. Col. Silas Burke (b.1796–d.1854) and his wife, Hannah Coffer. Burke, for whom Burke's Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad was named, served as a director of the railroad and the Fairfax Turnpike Company. An innkeeper . . . — Map (db m42) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — The Huldah Coffer House
Built ca. 1876 for Huldah Coffer, this house was constructed on farmland that had been in the locally prominent Coffer family since the 18th century. Widowed at age 22, Coffer became a farmer, growing wheat, oats, and Indian corn and raising a . . . — Map (db m86180) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement