Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Burnet, Texas Historical Markers

 
Airy Mount House (Front) image, Touch for more information
By Keith Peterson, December 23, 2007
Airy Mount House (Front)
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9695 — Airy Mount Barn
Kentucky native Adam Rankin Johnson (1834-1922) came to Texas in 1854. After attaining the rank of brigadier general in the Confederate Army, Johnson later settled in Burnet County where he was active in business and civic affairs. In 1882 he . . . — Map (db m27397) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9697 — Bethel Cemetery
The Rev. Richard Howard (1817-1882) moved to this area of Burnet County in 1855. The frontier settlement he joined would later be known as the Bethel community. In 1874 he deeded two acres at this site for community use. The first recorded burial . . . — Map (db m27428) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9704 — Burnet County
Formed from portions of Travis, Williamson and Bell counties. Created Feb. 5, 1852; organized August 28, 1852. Named in honor of David G. Burnet (1788-1870), president of the Provisional Government of the Republic of Texas in 1836. County seat, . . . — Map (db m27463) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9708 — Burnet County Jail
Built 1884 of hand-hewn rock. Has apartment for sheriff, who is also jailer. On second floor the county library was founded. — Map (db m27464) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 13343 — Dobyville Cemetery
The Dobyville Cemetery is the last visible remnant of the community of Dobyville. Settled in the 1850s, and named for the town’s location on a white adobe rock hill. The cemetery contains more than 230 marked graves, between 60 and 70 graves are . . . — Map (db m27485) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9721 — General Adam R. Johnson
Home County of Texas Confederate General Adam R. JohnsonJoined C. S. Army 1861. Cavalry scout with Gen. Nathan B. Forrest 1861-62. Commanded Partisan Rangers 1862-64 executing daring exploits behind enemy lines in Kentucky area. Took . . . — Map (db m27537) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9756 — George Whitaker Home
Built 1870 by George Whitaker, early settler. Of hand-hewn rock. Has inside cistern. Stones from old courthouse used in 1939 addition. — Map (db m27737) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9719 — Holland Springs — (300 Yards West)
Indians had probably visited these clear, cool springs for centuries when, in 1847, Henry E. McCulloch established a Ranger camp here, on Hamilton Creek. A year later, Samuel E. Holland (1826-1917), a Georgian, decided while visiting the camp that . . . — Map (db m27533) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9720 — Hoover's Valley Cemetery
Established in 1850 by the Rev. Isaac Hoover, of local Methodist Protestant church. He came from Tennessee; soon initiated services in nearby oak grove. Oldest stone dates from about 1850. Another grave is of Whitlock family, killed by Indians. . . . — Map (db m27534) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 11773 — Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M.
Sponsored by the nearby Robert E. Lee Lodge, Lake Victor Lodge No. 1011, A. F. & A. M. was formally established in December 1909 during the 73rd Annual Grand Communications of the Grand Lodge of Texas. The first meeting of the Lake Victor Lodge took . . . — Map (db m27578) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9725 — Longhorn Cavern Administration Building
Longhorn Cavern opened as a state park in 1932. From 1934 to 1942, Company 854 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked here to explore and develop the cavern. Using hand labor and native materials, the CCC workers built this structure in a . . . — Map (db m27593) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9724 — Longhorn Caverns
Rich in history and folklore. A young geologic formation, only a few million years old. Bones of elephant, bison, bear, deer, other animals have been found here. When white men came to area in 1840's, Indians knew the caverns; Rangers once found and . . . — Map (db m27594) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9726 — Magill Family Cemetery
Surrounded by a rock wall, the small pioneer family cemetery just west of this site is located on land that was once part of the William H. Magill homestead. Magill, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, moved his family to Burnet County in 1850. . . . — Map (db m27595) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 15943 — Mount Blanc School
In 1883, Mount Blanc School organized out of the Oatmeal School System. J. J. McGlothin deeded land for the school site and served with S. H. Campbell and J. T. Chamberlain as the original trustees. Several members of the Chamberlain family taught . . . — Map (db m28884) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9757 — Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Wolf
Jacob Wolf (1812-1874) and wife Adeline Faulkner Wolf (1814-1870) came from Tennessee to Texas about 1850. Obtaining land grant in Burnet County, they settled at Dobyville, and were pioneers, supplying their own provisions, buildings, medicines, and . . . — Map (db m27738) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 13164 — Naruna Baptist Church
Naruna Baptist Church Settlers came to the Naruna area as early as the 1840s, and the town was named by its first postmaster, William M. Spitler, who came to Texas on the riverboat Naruna. Residents formed Providence Baptist Church in July 1877 . . . — Map (db m27639) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 15408 — Naruna Cemetery
William M. Spitler became Naruna’s first postmaster in 1878, and he named the town after the riverboat that carried him to Texas from Tennessee. At that time, Naruna was an agricultural community with store, school, churches, fraternal lodges and . . . — Map (db m27640) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9708 — Old Cook Home
Built 1873 in Victorian style, with large bay window, solid walnut staircase, three fireplaces; was remodeled but retains original floor plan. House was bought 1890 by Judge J. G. Cook, a noted lawyer, and remained in Cook family several generations. — Map (db m27480) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9739 — Oldest Commercial Building in Burnet
Logan Vandeveer (1815-55), a hero of the 1836 Battle of San Jacinto, came here about 1849 as a Fort Croghan beef supplier. He became first United States Postmaster in Burnet and in 1854 built this native stone structure. With a partner named Taylor, . . . — Map (db m27693) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9723 — Peter Kerr 1795-1861
One of "Old 300" of Stephen F. Austin's first colony from Pennsylvania, took part in 1836 war for Texas Independence, he made and lost several stakes. In 1851 bought a league and labor of Burnet County land, including site of Fort Croghan. . . . — Map (db m29150) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9744 — Rocky Rest
Built 1860 by Gen. Adam R. Johnson. Of hand-hewn stone, logs. High windows and thick walls kept out Indians. Once housed a school. — Map (db m27698) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — Site of Fort Croghan
Established by Lieut. C. H. Tyler, United States Second Dragoons, by order of the War Department, March 18, 1849, as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Abandoned in December, 1853 as the settlements had extended farther west. — Map (db m20644) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9750 — Site of Town of Strickling
Once a busy rural community. Named for Mrs. Martha (Webster) Strickling, who settled here in 1853 with husband Marmaduke. As child, she survived killing of some 30 settlers in infamous Webster Massacre near Leander, and months of Indian captivity. . . . — Map (db m27730) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9696 — The Badger Building
Completed about 1883, this two-story limestone structure is representative of other commercial buildings located on the Courthouse Square in the 1880s. It was built for local financier Dr. W. H. Westfall and Captain Brandt Badger (b. 1839), a native . . . — Map (db m27398) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9705 — The Burnet Bulletin
Established in the early 1870s, this weekly newspaper has been in continuous operation for more than one hundred years. The first editor on record was George Whitaker, who served in that position until 1874. In 1898, the paper was sold to L. C. and . . . — Map (db m27435) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9715 — The Galloway House
The original part of this house was built in 1856. The adobe and rock residence, owned by Maj. Hugh H. Calvert, also served as an inn. Local landowner Enoch Brooks bought the home in 1885 and made major additions to the structure. Significant . . . — Map (db m27492) HM
Texas (Burnet County), Burnet — 9746 — The Russell-McFarland Homestead
William H. and Mary Russell built this Victorian residence in 1883-84. Russell, a veteran of the Civil War (1861-65), headed the Burnet school system about 15 years. Sold in 1895, the house had such tenants as J. W. Edgar, later state commissioner . . . — Map (db m27700) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement