Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cameron, Texas Historical Markers

 
All Saints Episcopal Church image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, January 26, 2019
All Saints Episcopal Church
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7937 — All Saints Episcopal Church
Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was . . . — Map (db m129326) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7984 — Ben Milam
(Front Panel) Milam (Right Panel) Benjamin Rush Milam born in Kentucky 1788. Soldier in the War of 1812. Trader with the Texas Comanche Indians 1818. Colonel in the Long Expedition in 1820. . . . — Map (db m129324) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7946 — First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook . . . — Map (db m84662) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 16507 — First National Bank of Cameron
Two banks operated in Cameron prior to the establishment of the First National Bank. The Buckholts Exchange Commission, a small frontier deposit office, faltered during the Civil War, and the Milam County Bank closed during the panic of 1895. On . . . — Map (db m129325) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7949 — First United Methodist Church of Cameron
This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize . . . — Map (db m129327) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7985 — Milam County
A part of Robertson's colony in 1834 and a part of the municipality of Viesca, 1835. Created in 1836 and named for Benjamin Rush Milam killed Dec. 5, 1835, in San Antonio. When created, it contained one-sixth of the original land area of Texas. . . . — Map (db m129328) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — Milam County Courthouse
Created in 1835, Milam County's original boundaries extended north and west to include parts of 34 current Texas counties. Government offices were at Nashville-on-the-Brazos and Caldwell before Cameron became county seat in 1846. Two frame buildings . . . — Map (db m129398) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — Milam County Courthouse
This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891. Designed by architect A.O. Watson of Austin, the courthouse at one time featured a Second Empire . . . — Map (db m129399) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 14048 — Milam County Jail of 1895
When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. . . . — Map (db m84663) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8006 — Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946)
Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included . . . — Map (db m129323) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7947 — Site of First Home in Cameron
Boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898), Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. His father Shapley P. Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built house after moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it had a good spring. L. S. Ross, who was a . . . — Map (db m129329) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8004 — Steamboat Washington Landed Here
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, Commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., mer- chants at Cameron. The . . . — Map (db m74414) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement