Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Canastota, New York Historical Markers

 
Amelia Earhart Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bob, April 16, 2015
Amelia Earhart Marker
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Amelia Earhart
Former site of Canastota Municipal Airport 1928-1989 Dedicated by Amelia Earhart August 28,1928 — Map (db m82424) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — 293 — Bruce Opera House
Site Of Bruce Opera House 1888-1909 This Cultural Hub Seated 802 Patrons & Showed Movies Projected By The Biograph, A Canastota Invention — Map (db m109611) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Canal Town Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior —
Towns sprouted along the length of the Erie Canal. Canal Street was Canastota's business district. Travelers stopped here for food and supplies or a bed for the night at a hotel or boarding house. Local farmers, merchants, and manufacturers shipped . . . — Map (db m139500) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Carmen Basilio
Born here April 2, 1927 Son of Joe and Mary Basilio Hall of Fame boxer World Champion 1955-58 Athlete of the Year 1957 — Map (db m82369) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Congregational Church - 1814
Founded by pioneers from CT on the theology of J. Edwards Meeting house built 1824 Early leaders: R. Bushnell, E.S. Cadwell, & P. Cadwell — Map (db m65337) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Enlarging the Erie Canal Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
Its immediate success on opening from Albany to Buffalo in 1825 soon led to calls to enlarge the canal. From 1836 to 1862 the canal was deepened from 4 feet to 7 feet, with bigger locks and aqueducts, and canal boats grew threefold in capacity from . . . — Map (db m139502) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Great Auto Race
1908 - Centennial - 2008 From New York to Paris. Racers arrived in Canastota Feb. 14th staying overnight. The U.S. team won the race. — Map (db m58367) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Industrial Growth / Canalway Trail
Industrial Growth (marker front panel) The Erie Canal encouraged settlers to establish farms and helped small upstate towns become economically viable. Plants and mills built near the canal to process farm produce diversified to meet . . . — Map (db m139499) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Lenox Anti-Slavery Society LA-SS
300 feet north of here, the Lenox Anti-Slavery Society was organized at the former First Presbyterian Church on December 7, 1836 — Map (db m139567) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Lewis Adamo
Asst Canastota Police Chief Killed At This Location On June 5 1950 While Directing Traffic — Map (db m109697) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Milton Delano Home of
Home of Milton Delano. Clerk of Town of Old Lenox. Twice elected Sheriff of Madison County. Member of Congress 1888-1892 — Map (db m139563) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Peterboro Street Lift Bridge Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor
Canal and street traffic came into conflict where Peterboro Street crossed the Erie Canal in Canastota's busy commercial district. Engineers fixed the problem with a hydraulic lift bridge. Raised, it let boats through and still carried foot traffic. . . . — Map (db m139501) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Quality Hill Green
A company of horse artillery drilled here during the War of 1812 — Map (db m139565) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Reuben Perkins
Reuben Perkins, born on November 5th, 1763, came from a family of the earliest settlers of New England. Perkins was a veteran of the Revolutionary War and had served in the battles at Plattsburg, Saratoga, and Stony Point. For his service he . . . — Map (db m139591) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — The Erie Canal Historic New York
Construction of the Erie Canal was hailed as the greatest engineering accomplishment to that time. Under the leadership of Governor De Witt Clinton, construction began July 4, 1817. With little technical knowledge, thousands of workers surveyed, . . . — Map (db m65012) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement