14 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Canton
Canton, Michigan and Vicinity
▶ Wayne County (309) ▶ Macomb County (118) ▶ Monroe County (66) ▶ Oakland County (288) ▶ Washtenaw County (136)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
| At Cherry Hill Village, Henry Ford did something different.
In front of you, at the southwest corner of Cherry Hill and Ridge Roads, was one of his "village industries," small factory sites which produced Ford parts with special local . . . — — Map (db m99544) HM|
|The Barlett[sic]-Travis house embodies three distinct architectural periods of S.E. Michigan. Donated to Canton in 1988, it was moved to this site in 1989 and restoration began in earnest in 1993. In 2002, the house was completed and opened to the . . . — — Map (db m99712) HM|
|This one-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1884 by Hargreaze Sittlington. The school's arches and raised brickwork may have been modeled after the 1882 Cherry Hill United Methodist Church. . . . — — Map (db m100136) HM|
In the late 1820's, pioneers began settling the Cherry Hill area of Canton, following an Indian trail - a high, sandy and dry ridge that once was the beach of an Ice Age Lake, which today is known as Ridge Rd.
In 1827 Hugh Clyde received a . . . — — Map (db m99892) HM|
Walking among the headstones
of Canton's pioneer families, one cannot escape their contribution to American history. You see the Hustons, the Lewises, the Gills, and veterans from every war, beginning with the War of 1812 through modern . . . — — Map (db m99580) HM|
|1828 - Granted from the U.S. government
1867 - Property deeded to trustees as a burial ground
1905 - Cherry Hill Cemetery Association was formed.
Managed by the Cherry Hill Cemetery Association as a non-profit association.
This . . . — — Map (db m99585) HM|
This beautiful Italianate-style Inn
was built by Abner Hitchcock in 1866 on speculation that a railroad spur would come through Cherry Hill and travelers would need a place to stay. The railroad never came, and Hitchcock lost the building . . . — — Map (db m99509) HM|
|In 1876 this Italianate schoolhouse replaced a log school, built in 1836 and known officially as Canton Fractional No. 1 School. In 1944, Henry Ford, who operated a small factory in Cherry Hill, paid for an addition to this building, as well as for . . . — — Map (db m99506) HM|
|When this pioneer church was organized in 1834, it was one of ten served by circuit rider Marcus Swift of the Detroit Methodist Conference. In 1848, its members raised $600 to build their first church, which served the community for thirty-four . . . — — Map (db m99505) HM|
Cherry Hill Village originated in the 1830s
at the crossroads of Cherry Hill and Ridge Roads. As the economic and social center for the area, local families came here to trade at the general store, to pick up mail, to get shoes for . . . — — Map (db m99621) HM|
Canton's loamy soil was a natural draw
to the region's settlers. From 1825 to the 1960s farming was the main vocation in Canton. At first, self-sustaining farms provided the only food and income for a family. By the 1920s, automobiles, . . . — — Map (db m99847) HM|
This shed, built in the 1830's was donated by Richard and Joan Palmer, from their family farm which was located on the south side of Warren Rd., between Beck and Ridge Roads.
This farm was land granted by the U.S. Government to Arunah . . . — — Map (db m99884) HM|
In 1989, the Bartlett Travis house was relocated to this site from Warren and Canton Center and in 1993, restoration commenced. After a complete restoration it was dedicated to the community in 2002. In 1995, the Canton Historical Society built a . . . — — Map (db m99893) HM|
The Canton Community
October 2006 as
The Cady - Boyer Barn
Originally built before the Civil War, this barn was enlarged and remodeled in 1908 by Aruna Cady, son of one of Canton's first pioneering families. This Barn has been . . . — — Map (db m99891) HM|