This type of canoe was not used by the Coeur d'Alene until the arrival (of the) pioneer settlers. Combined with iron tooling and burning, it took two men up to eight weeks to build. The Indians preferred their traditional bark-skinned canoe . . . — — Map (db m122768) HM
The horse-powered grist mill is shown with a half-timbered frame. Brother "blacksmith" (either brother Charles Huet or Classans), and brother Magri collaborated on fashioning the grist mill in 1848. This would be before construction began on the Old . . . — — Map (db m122766) HM
Records indicate that a least forty Coeur d'Alene Indians lived in permanent residence at the Mission site. The village was make up of a mixture of log cabins, Native American mat lodges and an occasional tipi.
E.S. Glover in his diary of 1875 . . . — — Map (db m122769) HM
The sketch drawn in 1860, shows a long multiple-unit structure parallel to the church. It housed the Mission brothers and travelers, a kitchen and repair shop.
Some of the prominent travelers who visited the Mission and possible stayed in this . . . — — Map (db m122764) HM
The main cemetery with log houses (grave houses) was located in this area. The limits of this have not been fully established (as of 1976); but according to the Mission records,
well over 300 people have been buried here. Many of the . . . — — Map (db m122770) HM
The Coeur d'Alene River is moderately visible from this vista point. The river aided in popularizing the Sacred Heart Mission by creating a steamboat access for outlying communities.
For one dollar, passengers could enjoy the 27 mile river . . . — — Map (db m122763) HM
Built by the Coeur d’Alene Tribe in cooperation with members of the Society of Jesus – restored with dedication as a 1976 bicentennial project by Henry Lawrence Day and his friend and helper Al Almquist in whose honor this memorial is . . . — — Map (db m110800) HM
“At sundown the church bell toiled, and it was soon filled with humble worshippers.
The chapel is quite an impressing building, the walls covered with pictures of saints and crucifixion.
The Indians are very devout and tell their . . . — — Map (db m110799) HM
Opened for services in 1853, this is the oldest building in Idaho.
Black-robed Jesuits founded the mission on the St. Joe River in 1842, but moved here in 1846 and raised this imposing building in a complete wilderness. Dwellings and . . . — — Map (db m110802) HM
The Coeur d'Alene River once flowed through here. Dams raised the level of Lake Coeur d'Alene causing the river to develop new channels. Annual flooding now furnishes water and silt to this former river bed. — — Map (db m122767) HM
The Parsonage house was the permanent house for the superior of the Mission. It is shown with a stone foundation. The west extension is depicted with a board floors, possibly a porch-like structure. The building was constructed with hewn logs using . . . — — Map (db m122762) HM
In 1853, Issac I. Stevens, Governor of the Washington Territory, described the Mission as being composed of buildings enclosing a square, some being quite old, but the barn was large and new. One-half of the barn was reserved for their crops, while . . . — — Map (db m122765) HM