Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Centreville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Charles Willson Peale image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, August 9, 2015
Charles Willson Peale
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Birthplace of Charles Willson Peale
First Free School of Queen Anne’s County erected near here 1724. Its sixth master was Charles Peale, father of the distinguished portrait painter and museum founder—born 1741 in living quarters near the school. Luther Martin, renowned . . . — Map (db m129231) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Carmichael House
Built in 1804 by William Carmichael (1775-1853), attorney and state senator who freed more than 120 of his family's slaves, 1811-1839. One of the largest manumissions in the state's history. Birthplace of Richard Bennett Carmichael (1807-1884), . . . — Map (db m80673) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Centrally Located
Although Centreville wasn't incorporated until 1794, colonial settlement of the county dates back to the 1630s. When officials decided to move the county seat and its supporting government functions, they chose a name that reflected its . . . — Map (db m62553) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Centreville National Bank of Maryland
In 1876 The Centreville National Bank of Maryland (predecessor to CNB) was established, and in 1904 constructed this building, its headquarters, to replace the one nearby that was destroyed by fire. — Map (db m138260) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Centreville Wharf
Site of Marlborough, a port town laid out in the early 18th century with the creation of Queen Anne’s County. The wharf was a trade center, with a tobacco inspection warehouse administered by William Hopper. The “Captain’s Houses” were . . . — Map (db m80659) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Chesterfield Avenue: River to Railroad ConnectionCentreville Heritage Trail
These 20th Century tickets for Centreville, while portraying a sense of the excitement of the circus coming to town do not represent the impact of those first circuses that came by boat up the Corsica, and up this street. The Aron Turner’s Circus . . . — Map (db m80657) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Command CentralStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
"When our own citizens have been carrying provisions--the produce of our own soil, in their own ships--to feed the armies of England, and her allies on the continent of Europe, they have been captured on their homeward bound passage on on their . . . — Map (db m138255) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Female Seminary
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Female Seminary 1876 — Map (db m138259) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Honor • Valor • WWI • WWII • Korea • Vietnam
To honor the veterans of Queen Anne’s County who served their country in time of war and especially those who made the supreme sacrifice so that we and future generations may enjoy freedom. — Map (db m3106) WM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — John Ozmon: Captain of the Sea and EntrepreneurCentreville Heritage Trail
Born in Denton, Caroline County on June 1, 1828, Captain Ozmon was already a well-known sea captain by the time he established his business in Centreville in 1858. In the 1860’s he began purchasing properties in the wharf area and continued to do so . . . — Map (db m80670) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Maryland's Eastern ShoreHundreds of Enslaved and Free Black Men Enlisted
Although isolated from Maryland's largest population centers, the Eastern Shore was important to the state's role in the Civil War and exemplified the citizens' divided loyalties. In the years before the war, enslaved African-Americans here . . . — Map (db m21455) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Queen Anne’s County
In 1631 William Claiborne established the first settlement in Maryland. A fort and trading post on Kent Island, the westernmost part of Queen Anne's County. On April 18, 1706, during the reign of Queen Anne, the County received its name from . . . — Map (db m3104) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Queen Anne's County Courthouse
The Queen Anne's County Courthouse was built between 1792 and 1794. Still in use today, it is the oldest continuously used courthouse in Maryland. In 1876, the entire building was enlarged to the rear and the wings raised to full stories, resulting . . . — Map (db m138254) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — She Fought for Equal Access
Lucretia Kennard was a woman who knew how to make a difference. Arriving in Queen Anne's County in 1903, she was appalled by the poor quality of education for black students. In those days, schools were segregated by race, the only books . . . — Map (db m138262) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Short History of Centreville
In 1782, an Act of the Assembly authorized the removal of the County seat from Queenstown to a more central part of the County. That's why the town was called "Centre Ville", with French spelling because of the Post-Revolutionary War admiration for . . . — Map (db m138252) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Shuttled By Ship
Before the automobile, boat transportation was the only efficient way of moving goods in the Chesapeake Bay area. Throughout the 19th century, Centreville Landing was a prosperous commercial area serving the schooners that carried grain, . . . — Map (db m80661) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Site of Goldsborough HouseCirca 1798
By that year, a 2-story brick house, measuring 40 by 24 feet and described as “not yet fully complete,” was built on a 4-acre lot of “Chesterfield,” deeded in 1792 from Mary Nicholson to her daughter Henrietta. Henritta’s . . . — Map (db m3109) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Parish was officially established as a result of the Vestry Act and the formal record of the vestry proceedings began on May 8, 1694. On May 1, 1834, the cornerstone for the church was laid by the Rev. Robert Goldsborough — its wall . . . — Map (db m138264) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — The Brass Pin
The brass pin in the adjoining sidewalk marks the former location of the stone known as "P.G. No. 1", recognized since 1791 as the beginning point of the "Public Ground" now occupied by the Court House and the reference point for all of the original . . . — Map (db m62294) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — The CourthouseQueen Anne’s County
Oldest courthouse in continuous use in the State of Maryland. The building was authorized by Acts of Assemby after the removal of the County Seat from Queenstown to Chester Mills, later Centreville. It was erected between 1791 and 1796 on land . . . — Map (db m3103) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — The Queen Anne's County Courthouse
The Queen Anne's County Courthouse was constructed at the time when the county seat was removed from Queenstown to Centreville. It was accepted by the County Court on June 1, 1796, and ordered to be "taken, held and deemed to be the proper Court . . . — Map (db m138253) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Tucker House
Built circa 1794 on the second lot to be sold in Centreville, the Tucker House is a good example of what many of the earliest homes in the town were like. It originally was two rooms deep and one room wide, a popular style of the Federal period in . . . — Map (db m138258) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — William Harper, Sr. Housesc. 1794-1798
In October, 1794 the merchant William Harper Sr. purchased the Northern half of town lot No. 3 North from Centreville founder, Elizabeth Nicholson for £55 pound. By 1798 2 Federal brick houses had been built by Harper and rented for commercial . . . — Map (db m138256) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Wright’s Chance
Early plantation house with original paneling. Listed as an “old dwelling” in a 1744 resurvey of “Smith’s Forrest,” patented 1681. Moved 1964 by the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society to present site, part of . . . — Map (db m3107) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Centreville — Wright's Chance
Wright's Chance was moved to this location in 1964 from its original site 6 miles east of town. Unlike the large brick plantation houses that have better survived, this type of frame structure was much more common during the Colonial period. The . . . — Map (db m138257) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement