Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
John Brown's Raid Interpretive Panel in the nearby Heritage Center image, Touch for more information
By Robert H. Moore, II, April 25, 2009
John Brown's Raid Interpretive Panel in the nearby Heritage Center
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Abolitionist John Brown Boards in Chambersburg
Preparing for the raid on Harpers Ferry arsenal, John Brown came to Chambersburg in the summer of 1859 wearing a beard as a disguise and using the alias of Isaac Smith. He took up residence at Mary Ritner’s boarding house on East King Street, . . . — Map (db m18531) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Brown's Mill School
Built in 1836. Used until 1921 as one-room elementary school. — Map (db m84007) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Burning of Chambersburg
Occupied the morning of July 30, 1864, by cavalry of Confederate Gen. John McCausland. Failing to obtain ransom, he burned the town in reprisal for ruin in the Shenandoah Valley by Gen. David Hunter. — Map (db m2140) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m8107) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out “Chambers Town” in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by “Jeb” Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in . . . — Map (db m35807) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m92222) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg
Settled 1734 by Benjamin Chambers, who laid out "Chambers Town" in 1764. Seat of Franklin County since 1784. Scene of Civil War events: Raided by "Jeb" Stuart, 1862; occupied by Confederates in 1863; and burned by them in 1864. — Map (db m92625) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Chambersburg Founded A.D. 1764
Burned by rebel cavalry July 30, A.D. 1864 Destroyed Buildings 537 Value of Real Estate $713,294.34 Value of Personal Property $915,137.24 — Map (db m8097) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Confederate Conference
On June 26, 1863, Gen. Robert E. Lee, and staff, entered this square. After conferring with Gen. A.P. Hill, near the middle of the 'Diamond', Lee turned eastward and made headquarters at the edge of town. — Map (db m8099) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Falling Spring Church
Founded 1734; main part of present church built 1803. One of the Presbyterian churches marking the first great settlement of Scotch-Irish pioneers west of the Susquehanna. — Map (db m8062) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Finding Your Way — Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Arches were a common site across the Lincoln Highway route. A Gateway Arch, now removed, spanned Lincoln Way East. The wooden arch greeted travelers as they passed through downtown. It was at this very intersection (Lincoln Highway and U. S. Route . . . — Map (db m35181) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — First Lutheran Church
This church, the third building, stands on the site of a log church built in 1780 by the Lutheran and Reformed and used jointly by the congregations till 1808. The land was granted by Benjamin Chambers. — Map (db m8121) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort Chambers
Erected in 1756 by Col. Benjamin Chambers, pioneer land-owner and founder of the town, who fortified his house and mill with stockade and cannon against Indians. — Map (db m8114) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort Chambers
Southwest 150 Feet Erected 1755-56 by Colonel Benjamin Chambers Founder of Chambersburg A two story stone structure surrounded By a moat A stockade manned by two swivel guns Enclosed the fort, flour mill, sawmill, And dwelling. . . . — Map (db m18645) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Fort McCord
Built by the settlers; named for John McCord. Burnt April 1, 1756, by Indians, who killed or carried into captivity 27 persons. The site is marked, about 500 feet away. — Map (db m84012) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Founding Family Memorial Statue — "The Homecoming"
On March 30, 1734, Benjamin Chambers, a Scots-Irish immigrant and millwright was granted a Blunston License by the Penn family to develop a 400-acre plantation and gristmill for the first Franklin County settlement, named the Falling Spring . . . — Map (db m18630) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Franklin County
Formed on September 9, 1784 from Cumberland County and named for Benjamin Franklin. Site of Falling Spring, noted limestone trout stream. Birthplace of James Buchanan, 15th President of the United States. Chambersburg, county seat, was laid out 1764. — Map (db m2142) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Franklin County World War I Memorial — Spirit of the American Doughboy
They shall live forevermore our glorious dead 1917       1919 Erected to the memory of the men and women of Franklin County who gave their lives in the World War “Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for . . . — Map (db m14021) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Frederick Douglass and John Brown
The two abolitionists met at a stone quarry here, Aug. 19-21, 1859, and discussed Browns plans to raid the federal arsenal at Harpers Ferry. He urged Douglass to join an armed demonstration against slavery. Douglass refused, warning the raid would . . . — Map (db m18625) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — French & Indian War – Revolutionary War – War of 1812 — Soldiers of Franklin County
French and Indian War     1755-1758 In this war there were so far as can be determined two or three organized companies of Associators within the present limits of the county, who took part in the several campaigns to the West, in suppression . . . — Map (db m45163) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
On June 26, 1863, Gen. R.S. Ewell, with orders to take Harrisburg, marched his army by this road toward Carlisle, which he reached next day. On June 29, he was ordered to rejoin Lee's army at Cashtown. — Map (db m8006) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. Robert E. Lee reached Chambersburg June 26, 1863. Hearing June 28 that Union troops under Gen. Joseph Hooker had crossed the Potomac to Frederick, he decided to unite his forces at Cashtown; and left the city by this road. — Map (db m8007) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
General Albert G. Jenkins' brigade of Southern cavalry entered Chambersburg on June 15, 1863, in advance of the main invasion force, and later led the invading army, June 22-24. General Robert E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26. — Map (db m84013) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Gen. A.G. Jenkins' Southern cavalry raided Chambersburg June 15-17, 1863, prior to the main invasion; and later led the invading army, June 22-24. Gen. R.E. Lee entered Chambersburg on June 26. — Map (db m84014) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Israel Benevolent Society Cemetery
Consecrated in 1844, this cemetery provided a place for Jews to be properly buried under the requirement of Judaic law. Founded by Chevrah Kaddishah (Holy Burial Society), it is the first Jewish cemetery west of Philadelphia formed during a period . . . — Map (db m8118) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — John Brown
Boarded in this house for a while in the summer of 1859 under the name of "Smith". While in Chambersburg, he secretly received firearms and ammunition. Later in 1859k Brown led a raid on the arsenal at Harper's Ferry. — Map (db m8103) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Joseph Winters — (c.1816-1916)
African American inventor who secured a U.S. patent for the first fire escape ladder and hose conductor in 1878. In 1879 Winters was issued a second U.S. patent for improvements to the original invention. Winters was active in the Underground . . . — Map (db m8058) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — King Street Church — Founded 1878
King Street Church moved to the southwest corner from the northeast corner of King and Second Streets in 1936, expanding to accommodate growth. For 63 years, the church was led by Dr. Clyde W. Meadows (1928-1961), and Dr. Paul B. Baker (1961-1991). . . . — Map (db m8060) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Margaret Cochran Corbin
Heroine of the Revolution; born Nov. 12, 1751, near Rocky Spring, 1 1/2 miles to NW. Accompanied her husband to war. Manned a cannon, Fort Washington, N.Y., Nov. 16, 1776, when he was killed. She was wounded, pensioned, and assigned to Invalid Regt. . . . — Map (db m8106) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Martin Delany — (1812 - 1885)
Delany was an influential abolitionist, civil rights activist, Army officer, and prominent physician. The son of an enslaved father and free mother received his education in Chambersburg. He went on to publish and anti-slavery newspaper, "The . . . — Map (db m8102) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Masonic Temple
Built 1823-1824. Oldest Pennsylvania building erected solely for Masonic use and now used exclusively for that purpose. Spared when Confederates burned town on July 30, 1864. — Map (db m8057) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Memorial Fountain and Union Soldier Statue
Erected at center of Memorial Square to honor over 5,000 Franklin County soldiers who served in Civil War, 1861-65. Secured through gifts of Franklin County citizens and dedicated July 17, 1878. Entered in National Register of Historic Places, May . . . — Map (db m8095) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Messersmith's Woods
Name of grove selected by Gen. R.E. Lee for his headquarters, June 26-30, 1863. Here he issued the order for the concentration of troops near Gettysburg. Site of woods is just south of this point. — Map (db m8122) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Mexican War – Spanish American War – World War — Soldiers of Franklin County
Mexican War     1846-1848 --------------- 4 officers and 122 men – Co. B, 11th U.S. Regular Infantry. Approximately 325 men enlisted in the U.S. Army from Franklin County. --------------- Spanish American War     1898-1899 . . . — Map (db m45168) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Morrow Tavern
A two-story stone house occupied as a tavern by William Morrow stood on this site. George Washington, with staff, lodged here, Oct. 12, 1794, when traveling west to review troops assembled at Bedford to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion. — Map (db m8101) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Old Brown's Mill School
Originally known as Trinity Church and School. Erected in 1836 at land donated by Lazarus Brown for free school and non denominational church purposes. Funds ($391.36) for this building were contributed by 51 citizens. Used by Antrim Twp. until . . . — Map (db m84016) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Old Franklin County Jail
Of Georgian design, this jail was built in 1818 and was in continuous use for 152 years. The third oldest building in the borough, it survived the burning of Chambersburg by Confederate forces during the Civil War. — Map (db m8059) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Patrick Gass — (1771 - 1870)
Enlisted by Meriwether Lewis as a private in the Lewis & Clark Expedition, 1803 - 1806; selected as a Sergeant in August, 1804. His carpentry and soldiering skills earned written commendation from Lewis. Gass later published his diaries of the . . . — Map (db m8123) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Philip Berlin
Recognized as the inventor of the first sleeping car in U.S. for use of travelers. The car, "Chambersburg", was operated as early as 1838 between Harrisburg and Chambersburg. He lies buried in graveyard at rear of church. — Map (db m8120) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Scotland School for Veterans' Children
Established in 1895 as the Pa. Soldiers' Orphans Industrial School, the state-run institution provided primary and secondary education to veterans' children in a residential setting. About 10,000 boys and girls were instilled with a sense of . . . — Map (db m84015) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Site of Fort McCord
The site of Fort McCord where twenty-seven pioneer settlers men, women and children were massacred by Indian savages or carried into captivity, April 1st, 1756, was a few rods south east of this spot.

In the list of victims were Mary McCord, . . . — Map (db m84011) HM

Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Suesserott House
Built about 1807. Later, it was the home of Dr. Jacob Suesserott, a prominent physician, dentist and surgeon. The fire started by Confederate cavalry on July 30, 1864, was arrested at this point. — Map (db m8119) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The Burning of Chambersburg
During the Gettysburg campaign, Confederate troops were restrained, under orders, from destroying non-government property. By the time of the Rebels’ next raid into the North, however, the policy had changed. On July 30, 1864, Brigadier General . . . — Map (db m18532) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The Greatest Sacrifice / Prelude to Gettysburg
The price of war is devastation. Franklin County paid the price when its county seat, Chambersburg, was burned to the ground in 1864. Invaded in 1862, 1863, and 1864 by Confederate forces, Franklin County has the distinction of suffering more . . . — Map (db m18629) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — The John Jack Tavern
On this site stood the John Jack Tavern. Operated by the family of James Jack, courier of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. The Tavern was used from 1784 until 1794 as a courthouse and jail for Franklin County. — Map (db m8098) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — This Dwight D. Eisenhower Green Ash
Was planted by the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Post 1599 in honor of all those men and women who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during World War II. This living memorial will stand as a humble reminder of the sacrifices and dedication of these men . . . — Map (db m8115) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Thompson's Rifle Battalion: Capt. James Chambers' Company
Recruited in this part of Cumberland (now Franklin) County, Chambers' Company was a unit of the first battalion in the colonies authorized by Congress, in June 1775. From here this company marched about 450 miles to join the siege of Boston. The . . . — Map (db m8116) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine In memoriam to Walter S. Sellers, pharmacist, who lost his life in the sinking of the Battleship Maine, . . . — Map (db m34375) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Underground Railroad Activity in Chambersburg
Throughout the pre-Civil War period, there were a number of Underground Railroad "stations" in this area, temporary places of refuge for former slaves escaping through the mountainous terrain to freedom in the North. One local Underground Railroad . . . — Map (db m8096) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Union Soldiers of Franklin County
Erected in memory of the Soldiers of Franklin County who fought for the Union in the War Between the States 1861-1865 Dedicated July 17th, 1878 ---------- Approximately 40 feet southwest of this tablet, Generals Robert E. Lee and A. P. Hill met . . . — Map (db m45160) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — War Between the States — 1861-1865
The following Penna. Commands were organized and recruited entirely or in part in Franklin County. 2nd Regt. Inf. – Co’s. A. B. C. • 35th Regt. Inf. – 6th Reserves Co. D. • 41st Regt. Inf. – 12th Reserves Co. K. • 43rd Regt. 1st . . . — Map (db m45169) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — Wilson College
Founded in 1869, and named for Sarah Wilson, its benefactor. One of the oldest colleges for women in the U.S. Opened, 1870, in "Norland", former home of Col. A.K. McClure, close friend of Abraham Lincoln. — Map (db m8104) HM
Pennsylvania (Franklin County), Chambersburg — World War II – Korean Conflict – Vietnam Conflict — Soldiers of Franklin County
World War II,     1941-1945 In this war, Franklin County sent into the Armed Forces of the United States approximately 6,460 men and women.. --------------- Korean Conflict,     1950-1953 In this conflict, Franklin County sent into the . . . — Map (db m45165) WM

53 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement