In 1774, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation for the establishment of a school near “Ye Coole Springs” for the education of boys from St. Mary’s, Charles, Calvert, and Prince George’s counties. As a result of the . . . — — Map (db m81186) HM
An outgrowth of the “Free Schools” established in Maryland in 1723, founded in 1774 “to provide for the liberal and pious education of the youth of this province, the better to fit them for the discharge of their duties.” . . . — — Map (db m81286) HM
Waters of exceptional purity and reputed healing quality led to the establishment near here of one of the earliest hospitals in the North American Colonies, authorized by the General Assembly, October 20, 1698. — — Map (db m929) HM
William F. Chesley began his railroad career as a telegraph operator for the Kansas City Southern Railroad in 1906. He worked every position on the line from track worker to manager.
Mr. Chesley returned home to St. Mary's County and in 1924 . . . — — Map (db m135327) HM
St. Mary’s County Welcome Center. Dedicated to all citizens and visitors of St. Mary’s County, Maryland.
In 1634, a group of courageous voyagers left England and all that was familiar and set out for the New World in search of religious . . . — — Map (db m944) HM
Bounded by the Patuxent and the Potomac, St. Mary’s County felt the squeeze as British invaders attacked along both rivers, plundering towns and plantations at will. Officials petitioned for federal help “to rescue and save us.” Little . . . — — Map (db m81180) HM
(1807–1877) Born Charles County. Attended Charlotte Hall Mil. Academy. US Navy – Mexican War. Practiced Law. Commissioned in CSN 1861. Captained CSS Sumter. Later commanded CSS Alabama. Most successful raider with 82 naval victories. . . . — — Map (db m140069) HM
The Village of Charlotte Hall derived its name from the school located there, authorized by the Maryland General Assembly in 1774. The area was originally known as "Ye Coole Springs" for the purported healing qualities of the drinking water the . . . — — Map (db m135328) HM
Legends of healing waters in St. Mary's came from the Native Americans and the colonists who believed in the therapeutic properties of the fresh water springs at Charlotte Hall. Around 1698, Governor Thomas Nicholson appointed trustees to purchase . . . — — Map (db m135329) HM