Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Charlotte, Michigan Historical Markers

 
1845 Eaton County Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 6, 2018
1845 Eaton County Courthouse Marker
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1719 — 1845 Eaton County Courthouse
This building served as Eaton County's courthouse from 1846 to 1872. The first courthouse was built in Bellevue in the 1830s. In 1840, Charlotte became the county seat, and in 1844 the county supervisors voted to erect a new courthouse on the . . . — Map (db m126072) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L1371 — Center Eaton United Methodist Church
On November 30, 1878, the local Methodist class purchased land for a church from Benjamin and Catherine Spotts for $25.00. Church men cut and hewed the logs for the building. The Reverend B. E. Paddock dedicated the church on November 10, 1881. . . . — Map (db m126010) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S190 — Eaton County / Eaton County Courthouse Square
Eaton County Eaton County was organized in 1837 and named for President Andrew Jackson's war secretary, John H. Eaton. Pioneers had come to Bellevue, the first county seat, in 1833. The county was settled chiefly by New Englanders who . . . — Map (db m121314) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L187 — First Congregational Church of Charlotte
This handsome brick church was completed in 1881. Seven persons organized the congregation in 1851 in nearby Carmel Township. Moving to Charlotte the next year, they held services in the wooden courthouse and in 1856 built the city's first place of . . . — Map (db m121366) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — History of the Bennett Park Dam
The dam at Bennett Park was built around 1907 to provide cooling water for a stream generated water works facility. Additionally, it served as a local recreational attraction for many members of the community who would swim and fish here. The . . . — Map (db m126182) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2076 — Joseph & Mary Hall House
Local builder Nathan Johnson built this house around 1845 for Charlotte's first physician, Joseph P. Hall, and his wife, Mary. The house was moved from the business district to this site in 1868. Many professionals lived here, including . . . — Map (db m126029) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — L2154 — Lawrence Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church
Side 1 Served for many years by circuit riding ministers, the Methodist congregation dates from 1838, making it Charlotte's oldest religious society. People worshipped at the home of Jonathan Searles, in a temporary courtroom in the Eagle . . . — Map (db m121387) HM
Michigan (Eaton County), Charlotte — S691 — Luren D. Dickinson / The "Country Capitol"
Luren D. Dickinson Michigan's thirty-seventh governor, Luren D. Dickinson (1859-1943), prided himself on being a frugal farmer. As a young man he taught school and served as principal of Potterville High School before becoming . . . — Map (db m125995) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.