Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cheyenne, Wyoming Historical Markers

 
1st Lieutenant Vernon J. Baker Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, May 26, 2016
1st Lieutenant Vernon J. Baker Marker
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — "Buffalo Soldiers" — 1st Lieutenant Vernon J. Baker
On Randall Avenue at McComb Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Randall Avenue.
right side In 1866, following the American Civil War, Congress created six all African American Army units which later merged into four (9th and 10th Cavalry - 24th and 25th Infantry Regiments). Composed of former slaves, freemen, and . . . — Map (db m95173) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — "The Mighty Big Boy"
Near East Lincolnway near Nation Way, on the left.
The 4004 is one of eight surviving examples of the world's largest steam locomotives. The Union Pacific Railroad had 25 of these goliath built, at a cost of over a quarter million dollars each. The 4004 ran primarily between Cheyenne and Ogden, . . . — Map (db m95202) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — 1974 Downtown National Historic District
On Lincolnway at Capitol Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Lincolnway.
Although Cheyenne was originally established in the 1857, much of the early town had been destroyed by fires over the years and it was not until the late 1800s that masonry structures were introduced. The current Downtown District of Cheyenne was . . . — Map (db m47184) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — 1980 Capitol North National Historic District
On Randall Avenue near Pioneer Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
The Capitol North Historic District of Cheyenne was built between 1905-1930 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. This district presents a good blend of middle to upper income housing for the period. Many of the home . . . — Map (db m95257) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Aviation in Cheyenne (1920-1930s)
On East 8th Street near Warren Avenue, on the right.
Front From 1920 to 1926, pilots braved the toughest conditions on the Transcontinental Airmail Route contending with Wyoming's high altitude, unpredictable weather and severe winds. Pilots such as Slim Lewis, Hal Collison, Frank Yager, Harry . . . — Map (db m95464) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Aviation in Cheyenne (1930-1950s) — Cheyenne Airport
On East 8th Street near Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Front It was at Cheyenne's airport facility that the first de-icing equipment was installed on aircraft. It was also where wide-scale installation of variable-pitch propellers, cabin heaters, and on-board air to ground capable radios was . . . — Map (db m95463) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Camp Carlin
On Happy Jack Road (State Highway 210) near Carlin Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Camp Carlin or Cheyenne Depot, 1867-1890, was 2nd largest quartermaster depot in the United States. In Wyoming it supplied Forts Russell, Sanders, Steele, Bridger, Washakie, Fetterman, Laramie, McKinney and Phil Kearny; in Nebraska, Forts Sidney, . . . — Map (db m92156) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne Builders and Architects — The Early Years
On Warren Avenue at East 17th Street, on the right when traveling north on Warren Avenue.
Many of Cheyenne's most famous and outstanding historic structures were designed and built by local architects and builders. During the city's early years, structures built by merchants were generally temporary in nature. Canvas tents or simple . . . — Map (db m95524) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne Corner Stone
Near Dey Avenue south of W. Jefferson Road, on the left when traveling south.
S.W. corner of site chosen by General Grenville Dodge in 1867 for the division point of the U.P.R.R. and for the location of Cheyenne City. The original 4 sq miles were laid at an angle to give "all houses maximum sunshine throughout the year." This . . . — Map (db m68053) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne Frontier Days™ (Part I)
Near Carey Avenue near Lions Park Drive, on the left when traveling north.
The year was 1897, Wyoming was still a young new State and the economy was still reeling from the Panic of 1993. The town's new Mayor and leading business men were looking for something to bring in outside business. The names of those involved reads . . . — Map (db m95344) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne Frontier Days™ (Part II) — The Cowgirls
On Carey Avenue near Lions Park Drive, on the left.
Cheyenne Frontier Days (CFD) Old West Museum (OWM) possesses a collection of Daily Programs that list contestants and events and the Ladies Cowpony Races were first run in 1899. Proud of their skills as horsewomen, young cowgirls used the . . . — Map (db m95378) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne's Big Boy 4004
Near East Lincolnway (Route 30) near Nation Way.
Twenty-five Big Boys, the world's largest steam engines, were built exclusively for Union Pacific by the American Locomotive Company in Schenectady, New York between 1941 and 1944. Each locomotive was 132 feet long and weighed 1.2 million pounds. . . . — Map (db m95200) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne's Early Fire Companies — 1870-1909
On West 19th Street near Bent Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
From the beginning Cheyenne, like many other towns along the newly constructed Union Pacific Railroad had problems with fires. The primarily wood and wood shingle buildings that made up the downtown area were especially subject to fire created by . . . — Map (db m95229) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Cheyenne's Heritage at a Glance
On Carey Avenue at West Lincolnway (U.S. 30), on the right when traveling south on Carey Avenue.
There are six plaques on this rather large monument. Prehistoric Cheyenne Those First to Life Here There is evidence of prehistoric man living in Wyoming more than 12,000 years ago before present (YBP). These early . . . — Map (db m96408) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land
On 24th Street at Carey Street, on the right when traveling west on 24th Street.
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Wyoming by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive . . . — Map (db m47188) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Durant Bell
Near O'Neil Avenue near West 21st Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Durant Hose Co., and J.T. Clark Co., each purchased huge bells, and boasted the first fire engines in Cheyenne. Both companies used the fire bells as long as their organizations existed. The J.T. Clark Bell may be seen at the old Johnson . . . — Map (db m95203) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Early Cheyenne Reservoir
On Carey Avenue near South Lions Park Drive, on the right when traveling north.
The exposed rock wall in front of you once formed part of an early Cheyenne Reservoir constructed in the mid 1880's. Water came by wooden pipe across the USDA Agriculture Research Station, Warren Air Force Base and Frontier Park. From here it was . . . — Map (db m95212) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Elling William "Bill" Golling
On Capitol Avenue near West 24th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Bill Gollings was a Wyoming working cowboy and renowned artist. Four of Golling's large oil paintings, from 1918, hang in the Wyoming State Capitol building: Indian Attack on the Overland State, Immigrants on the Platte, The Smoke Signal . . . — Map (db m95275) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Esther Hobart Morris
On Capitol Avenue at 24th Street on Capitol Avenue.
Proponent of the Legislative Act Which in 1869 gave distinction to the Territory of Wyoming as the 1st government in the world to grant Women Equal Rights — Map (db m47185) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — 84 — First United Methodist Church
On Central Avenue near East 18th Street, on the right when traveling north.
Organized - 1867 Sanctuary Building Constructed - 1890 Entered National Register of Historic Places Wyoming Place No. 84 — Map (db m95215) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Floyd and Edna Young Folk Art Fence
Near Lions Park Drive near Carey Avenue.
Floyd and Edna Young, residents of Wyoming for over 65 years, created the inner fence that surrounds Engine No. 1242. Floyd was a Union Pacific Engineer of this locomotive, Engine No. 1242, prior to its retirement and final move to Cheyenne in 1954. . . . — Map (db m95213) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Fort Laramie Trail
Near Kennedy Road near Central Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
This stone marks that road of romance and adventure traveled by trappers, traders and troops to Fort Laramie, the most historic spot in the west. 1867 - 1887 — Map (db m95230) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Historic Plains Hotel
On Central Avenue.
The National Register of Historic Places Wyoming Place No. 343 Downtown Historic District — Map (db m47156) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Magic City of the Plains — The Settled Side of Transportation
Near High Plains Road near Interstate 25, on the left when traveling east.
Cheyenne was founded in 1867 as a terminal for the Union Pacific's transcontinental railway through southern Wyoming. The city grew bigger and faster than most rail towns, in part due to nearby U.S. Army Fort D.A. Russell, established in 1867, and a . . . — Map (db m92203) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Mrs. Esther Hobart Morris
On Warren Avenue near East 22nd Street, on the left when traveling north.
Mother of Woman's Suffrage Lived Here in 1890 Born August 8, 1814 Spencer, N.Y. Died April 2, 1902 Cheyenne, Wyo — Map (db m95232) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Mt. Sinai Congregation — First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in Wyoming
On Pioneer near 20th Street, on the left when traveling east.
The first Permanent Jewish Synagogue in Wyoming was erected in 1915 by Cheyenne’s Mt. Sinai Congregation. German Jewish merchants came to Cheyenne starting in 1867, organized but were unable to build a Synagogue. After 1900, with the arrival of . . . — Map (db m27087) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Pole Creek Ranch
On Telephone Road (County Route 120) near Atlas Road (County Route 224), on the right when traveling south.
was first regular stop of the Cheyenne and Black Hills stage 18 miles from Cheyenne a "hotel" was built in 1876 — Map (db m92154) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Preservation of the Wyoming Historic Governor's Mansion
On East 21st Street near House Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In 2000, a group of concerned and preservation minded citizens formed to preserve one of Wyoming's premier historic sites. Over the next five years, the Historic Governor's Mansion Foundation, the Wyoming State Legislature, the First Families of the . . . — Map (db m95246) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Site of Cheyenne's Carnegie Public Library -- 1901-1966
On Capitol Avenue near West 22nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
New York, Dec. 27, 1899 Robert C. Morris, Esq., Dear Sir: Your favor of the 16th instant received. When the city of Cheyenne is willing to furnish a proper site for a free public library and maintain it at a cost of not less than $3,000 a . . . — Map (db m95259) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — St. Marks Episcopal Church
On Central Avenue near West 19th Street, on the left when traveling north.
The First Church edifice built in the State of Wyoming August 23, 1868. — Map (db m95247) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — St. Mark's Episcopal Church — Pioneer Church of Wyoming — A National Historic Place —
On Central Avenue near West 19th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Finding "the wickedness unimaginable and appalling," the Rev. Joseph Cook organized St. Mark's Parish Jan. 27, 1868, in Cheyenne, Dakota Territory, then a railroad winter camp. The first church at 18th and Carey Avenue was dedicated in August 1868 . . . — Map (db m95258) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Suffrage Tablet
On West 17th Street near Capitol Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
This tablet marks the site where the council of the first Territorial Legislature of Wyoming convened which legislature enacted the first woman suffrage law passed in the United States. Approved by John Allen Campbell First Governor of . . . — Map (db m95199) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Burlington Routes — 1887 - Present
On Capitol Avenue just south of Lincolnway, on the left when traveling south.
Side A Incorporated as the Cheyenne & Burlington Railroad in March 1887, the 30-mile long Wyoming segment was a part of the larger 145-mile long Chicago, Burlington & Quincy (CB&Q) Railroad line that ran from Midland, Nebraska, westward to . . . — Map (db m47181) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Cattle Barons & Business Giants — 1860s - 1920s
On Carey Avenue near West 19th Street, on the left when traveling north.
With the coming of the transcontinental railroad and with settlers and ranchers moving into the greater Cheyenne area, it was quickly apparent that 180 acre land grants were insufficient to sustain a livelihood. Shrewd businessmen, many foreign born . . . — Map (db m95210) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Cheyenne - Ft. Laramie - Deadwood Trail — 1867 - 1887
On Capitol Avenue near West 22nd Street, on the right when traveling north.
started from the corner of Capitol Ave. & 16th Street and ran 88 miles north to Ft. Laramie, the most historic Fort in the Rocky Mountain west. In 1876 it was extended to Deadwood and the Black Hills gold fields 266 miles from Cheyenne. Indians, . . . — Map (db m95261) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Cheyenne Club
On East 17th Street at Warren Avenue, on the left on East 17th Street.
was built on this site in 1882. Most of the members were wealthy cattle barons from the East and Europe. The club gained world wide fame. After the Blizzard of 1886-1887 the cattle business was ruined and the club lost its glamour. The building . . . — Map (db m95187) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Cheyenne Club — Bresnahan House
On East 17th Street near Warren Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
The Cheyenne Club - 120 East 17th Street 1880-1936 The Cheyenne Club, first known as the "Cactus Club," was organized in 1880 by several wealthy stockmen. It gained worldwide fame because of the European Cattle Barons who spent . . . — Map (db m95188) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Cheyenne Opera House and Territorial Library
On West 17th Street near Capitol Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
was erected on this site in 1882. For twenty years, it was the center of civic and cultural activity. In 1902, a fire destroyed the auditorium and stage of the building. In 1905, the annex was built on the site adjoining the remaining portion of the . . . — Map (db m95198) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The first steam-powered locomotive reached Cheyenne on November 14, 1867
On Capitol Avenue just south of Lincolnway, on the left when traveling south.
Side A By 1868 the community boasted 3,000 to 4,000 residents, plus business, schools, churches and newspapers. The UP's stone roundhouse was the first permanent structure (non-wood) built in town. The City's phenomenal growth produced its . . . — Map (db m47182) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The First Transcontinental Airmail Route*
On Evans Avenue near East 7th Street, on the left when traveling north.
The U.S. Post Office Department authorized the first experimental mail flight in 1911 at an aviation meet on Long Island, New York. By 1912 it had authorized 52 flights at fairs, carnivals and air meets in more than 25 states. From 1912 to 1916 they . . . — Map (db m95465) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The First Transcontinental Highway — The Lincoln Highway - U.S. Highway 30 - Wyoming Portion of Interstate 80
On West Linclonway near Carey Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
The Lincoln Highway was America's first transcontinental highway, conceived in 1912 specifically with the automobile in mind. Although parts of the Lincoln Highway were first used in 1908 for the famous New York to Paris automobile "Great Race", it . . . — Map (db m95580) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Greeting and The Gift
On High Plains Road.
The scene depicts a typical meeting of the Indian and the Mountain Man on the open plains of Wyoming during the time of western discovery and exploration in the early 1800’s.

At such meeting the offering of friendship would take place. The . . . — Map (db m94225) HM

Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Military 1867-1890 — Cheyenne Depot - Camp Carlin
On Randall Avenue at McComb Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Randall Avenue.
The second of the original military facilities to be located in Cheyenne was officially established in August 1867 and was named Cheyenne Depot; however, it later took the name of its first Quartermaster Commander, Brevet Lieutenant Colonel Elias B. . . . — Map (db m95175) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Military 1867-1949 — Fort David A. Russell - Fort Francis E. Warren
On Randall Avenue at McComb Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Randall Avenue.
The United States Army came to Cheyenne in 1867 on the heels of the Union Pacific Railroad's westward expansion and established two separated military operations: Camp Carlin just west of Cheyenne and Fort D.A. Russell adjacent to Camp Carlin and . . . — Map (db m95171) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Military 1949-Present — Francis E. Warren Air Force Base
On Randall Avenue at McComb Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Randall Avenue.
In 1949, more than eighty years after it was founded, Fort Warren and the City of Cheyenne joined forces shortly after the new year to battle the "Blizzard of 49." Personnel and equipment from the 3450th Technical Training Wing cleared the City's . . . — Map (db m95177) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Tivoli Building
On West 16th Street at Carey Avenue on West 16th Street.
was established by the Richardson Brothers in 1892. The Tivoli has been a landmark since Cheyenne's early days when the town was known as the "Paris of the West." It was a regular hangout for visiting cowboys during Cheyenne Frontier Days. In . . . — Map (db m95189) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Trails (Part I) — The Growing of the West
On Carey Avenue near Lions Park Drive, on the left when traveling south.
Long before the railroad, airplane, and automobile; the desire to develop the West brought explores, mountain men, fur trappers and a few brave settlers into Wyoming. Later this would be followed by miners, farmers and ranchers, and hundreds of . . . — Map (db m95197) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Trails (Part II) — The Stage and Mail Routes
On Carey Avenue near Lions Park Drive, on the left.
By 1859 there was daily mail and overland stagecoach service to California. The trip took approximately 27 days for coaches to make the journey. Although trips were originally made across the southern Santa Fe route this practice was abandoned at . . . — Map (db m95310) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Trails (Part III)
Near Carey Avenue near Lions Park Drive.
The Cattle Trails The cattle drives and the trails that they followed were designed to move large numbers of Texas and Mexican cattle to Cheyenne to meet the railroad or further north into Montana for summer grazing. The trails were . . . — Map (db m113831) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Trolleys / Cheyenne's Street Railway
On Lincolnway at Capitol Avenue on Lincolnway.
The Trolleys The railway included a connector past the Fairgrounds to Fort S.A. Russell. Although 1890 drawings show a fail line going up over the wooden viaduct to South Cheyenne, it was never completed and no trolley service went south of the . . . — Map (db m47159) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — The Union Pacific Railroad — Part 1 (1867 - 1890) / Part 2 (1869 - 1890)
On Capitol Ave just south of Lincolnway, on the left when traveling south.
Part 1 Side A The story of the Union Pacific Railroad is also a story of Wyoming and particularly Cheyenne. One cannot be told without the telling of the other. It is no exaggeration to say that Cheyenne, Fort D.A. Russell (now F.E. . . . — Map (db m47178) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Tom Horn — "Killing Men Is My Specialty"
On West 16th Street (Lincolnway) near Carey Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
At this site on January 12, 1902, Cattle Detective Tom Horn was tricked into making a series of incriminating statements that were used as a "confession" to the July 18, 1901, murder of 14-year-old Willie Nickell at Iron Mountain, west of Chugwater . . . — Map (db m95190) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Trails & Tales of I-25 — Wyoming's Continued Role as Crossroads of the Nation
Near High Plains Road near Interstate 25, on the left when traveling east.
Interstate 25 serves as a primary north-south corridor for the western states. Skirting the eastern edge of the Rocky Mountains, it stretches 1,059 miles from southern New Mexico to northern Wyoming. A vital junction with east-west interstates, it . . . — Map (db m92205) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Union Pacific Depot
The Union Pacific Depot was built in 1886 and given to the community or Cheyenne in April 1993 by the Union Pacific Railroad Company. — Map (db m47157) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Union Pacific Steam Engine #1242
Near Lions Park Drive near Carey Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Union Pacific Steam Engine #1242 is the oldest coal burning steam locomotive in Wyoming. Union Pacific Railroad (UP) donated "Old Sadie," as she was nicknamed, to the City of Cheyenne in 1955 after being retired from the Walcott-Saratoga-Encampment . . . — Map (db m95216) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Near O'Neil Avenue near West 21st Street, on the right when traveling north.
In Memory of the Vietnam Veterans From Laramie County Who Never Returned From Southeast Asia Earnest C. Balland - USA • Michael R. Beck - USMC • Edward R. Braun - USA • Dennis C. Cressy - UDAF • Frank M. Darling - USMC • William B . . . — Map (db m95211) WM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Wyoming Army and Air National Guard Memorial
On 24th Street at Central Avenue, on the left when traveling west on 24th Street.
Eternal gratitude to the men and women who have served and sacrificed in the Wyoming Army and Air National Guard — Map (db m47191) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Wyoming Governor's Mansion — Enrolled in the National Register of Historic Places
On East 21st Street near House Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
In 1901 Wyoming Legislature authorized an Executive Mansion and appropriated $40,000 for that purpose. Under architect Charles W. Murdock, this Georgian style building was completed late in 1904 at a total cost, including site, landscaping, . . . — Map (db m95245) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Wyoming Spanish American War Monument
On 24th Street at Central Avenue, on the right when traveling west on 24th Street.
. . . — Map (db m47190) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Wyoming’s Wildlife Heritage
On High Plains Road.
Welcome to wonderful Wyoming! As you travel through the state, your visit will be more enjoyable and interesting if you stay alert to one of Wyoming’s most precious treasurers—an abundance and diversity of free ranging wildlife. The wildlife . . . — Map (db m94224) HM
Wyoming (Laramie County), Cheyenne — Yellowstone Highway — Grows into the longest road in the U.S., The National Park-to-Park Highway
Near High Plains Road near Interstate 25, on the left when traveling east.
This Welcome Center's entrance axis aligns with and pays tribute to the Yellowstone and National Park-to-Park highways. The Yellowstone Highway was an unpaved "auto trail" established in 1915 that was mapped, maintained, and promoted by local . . . — Map (db m92204) HM

61 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement