Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Historical Markers

 
Badger State Planing Mill At Lake Hallie Marker image, Touch for more information
By K. Linzmeier, May 9, 2012
Badger State Planing Mill At Lake Hallie Marker
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 44 — Badger State Planing Mill At Lake HallieBadger State Lumber Company
This site is near the location of the first sawmill called the "Blue Mills" built just north of Lake Hallie, built over a two year period 1842-1843 by Steven McCann and the brothers Simon and George Randall. In 1867 it was sold to T.S. Schoefield. . . . — Map (db m56289) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 49 — Bear Den Road Bridge
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — Map (db m43065) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 15 — Chippewa Springs
Millions of years ago the Midwest area of North America was covered by a great inland sea that laid down virgin white Cambrian sandstone. As the sea filled in, most of this sandstone became buried thousands of feet below the surface. The rim . . . — Map (db m42326) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 14 — Cook-Rutledge Mansion
In September of 1873 James Monroe Bingham, a local attorney, State Assemblyman, and future lieutenant governor of the State of Wisconsin, purchased this land which had just been plotted as Block 14 of the Western Addition to the City of Chippewa . . . — Map (db m42667) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 26 — Edward Rutledge Charity
This building was built in 1917 in memory of Edward Rutledge. Mr. Rutledge was born in northern Ireland on March 6, 1834. As a child he moved with his parents to South Mountain, Ontario, Canada where they farmed. At age 16 Edward and his two . . . — Map (db m39426) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 1 — First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church is the oldest Protestant Church in the City of Chippewa Falls. It was organized in 1855 by Rev. W. W. McNair. The first services were held in a log cabin 12 x 14 feet located on the east bank of Duncan Creek, just . . . — Map (db m42611) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 28 — Hiram Stores AllenSeptember 18, 1806 - March 6, 1886
Hiram S. Allen was born in Chelsea, Vermont and came to the Chippewa Valley of Wisconsin in 1834. Here he began a long and flourishing career and an active business life. He built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel . . . — Map (db m42343) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of All VeteransBoth Living and Dead — These are the Dead —
Sergeant Charles E. Mower, Company A, 34th Infantry, on November 3, 1944, was an assistant squad leader in an attack against strongly defended enemy positions on both sides of a stream running through a wooded gulch near Capoocan, Leyte, Philippine . . . — Map (db m41559) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — In Memory of Old Abe1861 • 1881
The soldier bird who was captured in Chippewa County by Chief Sky and taken to Eau Claire by Daniel McCann of Eagle Point. With Company "C" of the Eighth Wisconsin Regiment, he participated in twenty-five battles of the Civil War and was afterwards . . . — Map (db m38223) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 48 — Irvine Park Drive Bridge
The Irvine Park Drive Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge in 1907. The structure originally crossed Duncan Creek on . . . — Map (db m38734) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 222 — Nation's First Cooperative Generating Station
On Sunday, May 2, 1937, Wisconsin Power Cooperative was organized by an assembly of farmers for the purpose of developing a generating and transmission facility to provide low-cost electric service for the rural areas of Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, . . . — Map (db m13798) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 330 — Northern Wisconsin Center for the Developmentally Disabled
Before the 19th-century social reform movement, developmentally disabled people were relegated to almshouses and county poor farms where the “indigent, insane, epileptic and “idiotic” were housed together without regard to . . . — Map (db m13297) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 427 — Northern Wisconsin State Fair
Primarily rural in the 19th century, Wisconsin promoted the state fair to advance better state farming practices. Since 1851 to the present, this fair has been held in southern Wisconsin. Recognizing the impracticality of entering or attending the . . . — Map (db m13318) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 2 — Notre Dame Church
Notre Dame was Chippewa County’s first church, the Mother church of all area Catholic Churches. Originally called St. Mary’s (“Our Lady of the Pines”) was a 16' x 18' foot log structure erected in 1856. A carpenter’s bench served as . . . — Map (db m39975) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Old McDonell High School
This building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m41964) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 37 — Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — Map (db m55299) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 24 — Pioneer Norwegian Log Home
This log house, constructed of hand-hewn White Pine logs, was built by Norwegian immigrant Ole Pederson Bjerke about 1881. Ole and his wife Mari had three sons: Gus, John, and Charles. Around 1880, Ole had applied for a Homestead in the . . . — Map (db m43658) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 29 — Reverend Charles F.X. GoldsmithDecember 22, 1845 - November 24, 1890
Charles was born in Rochester, New York. At the early age of thirteen he entered the provincial seminary of St. Francis near Milwaukee. He graduated in 1864 and then entered the American College at Louvain, Belgium. There he earned two divinity . . . — Map (db m39937) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — Ronald P. Anders1943 to 1973
He gave his life to the Jaycees and to his community, in the belief that service to humanity is the best work of life. We shall not forget... Ronald P. Anders Memorial Pure Water Fountain was constructed by the Chippewa Falls Jaycees and . . . — Map (db m41525) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 43 — Site of the Chippewa Sugar Beet Factory
In 1904 on this 25 acre site between the Chippewa River and the Soo Line Railroad tracks, sugar processing became a new industry in the Chippewa Valley. The Chippewa Sugar Company was incorporated and a huge six-story sugar beet factory was . . . — Map (db m42693) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 38 — Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home
This Columbia Street site was the location of the ornate pioneer mansion built by Hiram Stores Allen. Called the founder of Chippewa Falls, Hiram built the first grist-mill, the first flour-mill, and the first hotel in Chippewa Falls. He operated . . . — Map (db m38891) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 16 — Site of the Mason Shoe Factory
Chippewa Falls was born with the logging era and with it came support industries such as shoe factories. One of the most important tools for the loggers was strong boots. In 1869, Colliche Vinette was the first shoemaker to come to town. The area . . . — Map (db m38822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 51 — Sokup's Market
Joseph Sokup opened Sokup’s Market in Downtown Chippewa Falls around 1891 on the northwest corner of Bay and Willow Streets. He built the current grocery store at 624 N. Bridge Street in 1894. The market is one of the oldest family owned businesses . . . — Map (db m55380) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 39 — Sunny Valley School
Sunny Valley School, originally called Goethel School was built in 1903 approximately eight miles west of Chippewa Falls on State Highway 29 where it crosses County Highway T. The one room schoolhouse served the north half of School District No. 5, . . . — Map (db m43255) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 22 — The Chippewa Valley Electric Railway Co.
This waiting shelter at the northern most point of service is the only physical structure remaining of what was once the 12½ mile long Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls interurban electric streetcar line. In 1897, Boston financier Arthur Appleyard . . . — Map (db m39822) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 10 — The Federal Building & Early Mail Service
This Federal Post Office Building was built in 1910 at a cost of $90,000. The property was purchased from the Thornton estate for $10,000. The Neo-Classical design style was often used by governmental architects of the Treasury Department during the . . . — Map (db m39009) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 21 — The Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company
Chippewa Fall's oldest industry. In 1867, Jacob Leinenkugel, the son of a Bavarian brewmaster, came to Northern Wisconsin searching for a promising location to build a brewery. He settled on this spot purchasing the land from lumberman Hiram S. . . . — Map (db m42360) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 9 — The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early . . . — Map (db m38806) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 27 — The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley
Built in 1871 by Alexander Wiley Sr. and Nels Elikson, the rooming house over the years was home for hundreds of immigrants, lumber jacks, mill workers, farm hands and log drivers (known as river pigs). In 1887 Wiley Sr. became the sole owner and . . . — Map (db m42697) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 45 — The Yellowstone Trail
Before there were numbered highways in the United States there were names attached to roads to help motorists navigate from town to town or from county to county. In 1912 no one thought in terms of an inter-state highway. However, a small band of . . . — Map (db m42158) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 5 — Trinity United Methodist Church
As early as 1846, Methodists were meeting in Chippewa Falls, with Thomas Randall preaching to his neighbors in a boarding house owned by the Chippewa Lumber and Boom Company. On March 10, 1860, Reverend Thomas Harwood, the first assigned . . . — Map (db m42615) HM
Wisconsin (Chippewa County), Chippewa Falls — 23 — William IrvineOctober 28, 1851 – December 26, 1927
William Irvine was born in Mount Carroll, Illinois of Scotch-Irish ancestry. He came to the Chippewa Valley when he was 14 years old to work for his brother-in-law, who was captain of a raft boat towing lumber from Chippewa Falls to Mississippi . . . — Map (db m38788) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement