Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Cincinnati, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Mt. Moriah Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rev. Ronald Irick, November 5, 2016
Mt. Moriah Marker
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah
Clermont County Bicentennial Marker Chapel- Mt. Moriah

United Methodist Church. Organized in 1835 as the Methodist Protestant Church of Tobasco. Meetings were held in a schoolhouse until 1842, when the church erected this small brick . . . — Map (db m99694) HM

Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah Cemetery
The Union Township Trustees operate and maintain the cemetery. It is situated on land purchased in 1800 by Withamsville founder, Maurice Witham. Interred here are some prominent pioneers and citizens - - the Witham family, Indian fighter . . . — Map (db m99695) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Cincinnati — Mt. Moriah Veterans Memorial
1941 - 1945 In memory of these men who gave their lives for freedom in World War II

Alvin Earl Beard James C. Butts William A. Rolke Loren Hoderlein Merle Patterson Albert Wienner — Map (db m99696) WM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — "Lincoln - The Man" — Lytle Park Series
Former President Taft was to return to Lytle Park on March 31, 1917 to preside at the unveiling of the statue “Lincoln - the Man,” a gift of the Charles P. Tafts. The statue, executed at a cost of $100,000 by Sculptor George Grey . . . — Map (db m24921) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — "Mike" Mullen — Lytle Park Series
It was Michael Mullen, a kindly councilman from the old Eighth Ward for 34 years, whose efforts brought about Lytle Park. After his death in 1921, funds were collected for a new “memorial” bandstand replacing the park's original one. . . . — Map (db m24923) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 12-31 — 1749 French Claims to Ohio River Valley
Side A: In 1749, the French in North America perceived a threat by British expansion west of the Allegheny Mountains to the Ohio River Valley and beyond. The French commander, Pierre Joseph Celeron, sieur de Blainville, with 250 men, left . . . — Map (db m24610) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — A Beginning . . . — Lytle Park Series
The “Little Wilderness” of the 1700's became Lytle Square in 1809 and the setting for this brick mansion of General William H. Lytle, first Surveyor-General of the Northwest Territory and the State of Ohio. The home was razed in 1907. . . . — Map (db m24884) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Auburn Avenue — 1830 - 1900
In 1819, the first known residents of the Mt. Auburn hilltop were wealthy families who built country estates. After 1849, when Mt. Auburn was annexed to Cincinnati, it continued to grow as a residential suburb. Prominent businessmen and . . . — Map (db m59350) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Battery F, 136th Field Artillery, A.E.F.
In memory of the service of Battery F, 136th Field Artillery, A.E.F. Erected by the mothers. — Map (db m78356) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Bicentennial Commons at Sawyer Point
Welcome to a spectacular recreational area created as a gift from the people of Cincinnati to the people of Cincinnati in honor of the city's Bicentennial in 1988. Originally, this land was an untouched tree-covered bank along a . . . — Map (db m25597) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Bottoms
A Neighborhood That No Longer Exists Cincinnati is a city of neighborhoods. One of them is very, very special—because it is no longer there. The Bottoms: a dense urban neighborhood full of churches, full of people. It ran from the River . . . — Map (db m24995) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 55-31 — Boyhood Home of Dr. Winthrop Smith Sterling
Dr. Winthrop Smith Sterling (1859-1943) founded Mu Phi Epsilon International Professional Music Fraternity on November 13, 1903, at the Metropolitan School of Music in Cincinnati, where he served as dean. The Victorian frame house was built by his . . . — Map (db m24845) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cherry Tree Grove — World War I Memorial
In memory of the citizens of Hamilton County who gave their lives in the country's service. 1917 - 1918. These cherry trees were planted by the Garden Club of Cincinnati. 1920 — Map (db m78234) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 72-31 — Cincinnati Breweries / Remaining Brewery Structures
Side A: Cincinnati Breweries The Brewery District contains the majority of Cincinnati's remaining breweries and associated structures such as icehouses, bottling buildings, offices, and stables. With the first brewery north of Liberty Street . . . — Map (db m24835) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cincinnati Fire Fighters
In Memory of the Cincinnati Fire Fighters who died in the line of duty serving in the first paid professional fire department in the United States — Map (db m24087) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 32-31 — Cincinnati Public Markets / The Northern Liberties
Side A: Cincinnati Public Markets Public markets housing butchers, fish merchants, and produce vendors were once the primary source of perishable foods for residents of America's cities. Cincinnati operated nine in 1859. Only Findlay Market, . . . — Map (db m24814) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 54-31 — Cincinnati Reds
The 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings made history not only as the most dominant baseball club of its time, but also as the first band of professional ballplayers. Cincinnati's decision to pay players proved to be a success, and other cities soon began . . . — Map (db m19919) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 19-31 — Cincinnati Riots of 1884 / Sheriff Morton Lytle Hawkins
Side A: Cincinnati Riots of 1884 In March 1884, public confidence of Cincinnati law enforcement was extremely low. The public believed that murderers and other serious offenders were not brought to justice promptly or received little . . . — Map (db m24598) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 26-31 — Cincinnati Union Terminal
The Cincinnati Union Terminal opened in March 1933 and integrated rail travel in the city, which previously operated from five separate passenger terminals. Built when rail travel was already in decline, Union Terminal stopped operating as a . . . — Map (db m23939) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Cincinnati's First Playground — Lytle Park Series
For many years, Lytle Park echoed the shrieks and laughter of Cincinnati's children. It was dedicated as the city's first public playground, a respite for already crowded inner-city dwellers, on the sunny afternoon of July 6, 1907. The Lytle estate . . . — Map (db m24907) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 22-31 — Cincinnati's German Heritage
Side A: Cincinnati, along with Milwaukee and St. Louis, is one of the three corners of the "German Triangle," so-called for its historically high concentration of German-American residents. During the 19th century, Cincinnati was both a . . . — Map (db m24615) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Corporal Merrill Laws Ricketts Marine Corps Memorial
In honor of the United States Marine Corps and the Marines of Hamilton County who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War [Roll of Honored Dead] Corporal Merrill Laws Ricketts XVIII Co., V. Reg., U.S. Marines Defensive Sector • . . . — Map (db m25068) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Dunlap's Station — Frontier Outpost in Hamilton County, Ohio — Site of Seige in 1791
former site of Fort Dunlap 1790 erected by Boy Scout Troop 275 Mt. Healthy, Ohio — Map (db m78622) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 38-31 — Elizabeth Blackwell
Born in Bristol, England, Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910), moved to Cincinnati in 1838. Blackwell applied to several medical schools before being accepted to Geneva Medical College in New York. In 1849, she received a medical degree, becoming the . . . — Map (db m24085) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ernie Lombardi — Catcher 1932-41 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor
Even more legendary than Ernie Lombardi's pronounced profile were his blistering line drives. Using an interlocking grip and one of the league's heaviest bats, the Crosley-era catcher hit better than .300 seven times for the Reds and remains the . . . — Map (db m52828) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Evanston - World War One Honor Roll — Duty and Patriotism
1917 - World War Honor Roll - 1918 And when the storm of war was gone, enjoyed the peace your valor won. — Map (db m78646) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Famous Lytle Neighbors — Lytle Park Series
Dr. Daniel Drake (1785-1852), the city's most famous physician- surgeon and founder of the Ohio Medical College, made his home on nearby Third Street. He was an outstanding author, historian and scientist. Dr. Richard Allison . . . — Map (db m24877) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 59-31 — First Glass Door Oven
The first full-size glass door oven was invented and manufactured here by Ernst H. Huenefeld of The Huenefeld Company in 1909. Specially designed and patented sheet metal frames in the door allowed for expansion and contraction of the glass. The . . . — Map (db m24830) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 5-31 — First National Correctional Congress / Declaration of Principles of 1870
Side A: First National Correctional Congress On this site in October, 1870 a group of enlightened individuals dedicated to the reformation and improvement of penal systems met. This first Congress of the National Prison Association, now known . . . — Map (db m23944) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington — 1789 - 1808
. . . — Map (db m24855) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington — Lytle Park Series
Southwest of Lytle was Fort Washington, built in 1789 and 1790 and named for President George Washington. The fort protected settlers in the new Ohio country from Indian attacks. It became the base headquarters for the Indian campaigns of Generals . . . — Map (db m24891) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington
The ground on which this building stands formed part of the Fort Washington Reservation — 1789 —— 1808 — This reservation was bounded on the north by Fourth Street, on the east by Ludlow Street, on . . . — Map (db m43124) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fort Washington Powder Magazine
Beneath this building lies the powder magazine of Fort Washington, the major military outpost of the United States in the Northwest Territory, 1789-1808. The magazine was uncovered in October, 1952 when footers were being excavated. It is the only . . . — Map (db m24948) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Frank Robinson — Outfielder 1956-65 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor
Playing with unparalleled intensity, Frank Robinson quickly earned a reputation for challenging pitchers, crowding the plate and charging hard around the bases. He spent the first half of his career in Cincinnati, where his powerful swing produced . . . — Map (db m52825) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Frederick W. Galbraith — National Commander of the American Legion — Commanding Officer, 147th Infantry Regiment, Ohio National Guard
May 6, 1874-July 9, 1921. President, Cincinnati Rotary Club 1914-1915. Commanding Officer, 147th Infantry Regiment Ohio National Guard, World War I. First National Commander, American Legion 1920. — Map (db m78208) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Fuldner Mortuary
In 1845, Jacob Fuldner and Samuel Cobb established an undertaker's shop at 143 Sycamore Street. His son William F. and grandchildren William L., Howard F. and Mary E. carried on the family business until 1977 when it was merged with Schaefer & . . . — Map (db m24310) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 65-31 — Gaines High School / Peter H. Clark
Side A: Gaines High School In 1866, Gaines High School (grades 7-12), one of the first high schools for African Americans in Ohio, opened just west of this site in the same building as the Western District Elementary School, completed in 1859 . . . — Map (db m23956) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 9-31 — Garard/Martin Station, 1790
Marker Front: Site of the first fortified settlement in Anderson Township and one of the first in the Virginia Military District. John Garard and Joseph Martin were the founders of this Station, who, with Elias Garard, Joseph Frazee, and . . . — Map (db m19924) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 52-31 — George Washington Williams
George Washington Williams was born in 1849 in Bedford, Pennsylvania. At age 14, he enlisted in the Union Army to fight in the Civil War and received a medical discharge in 1868. In 1874, he became the first African American to graduate from the . . . — Map (db m25125) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Greek Revival Architecture Example
Built in the 1820's as a residence, this example of Greek Revival Architecture is a contributing element to the West Fourth Street National Register Historic District. The building also housed several businesses, including a homeopathic pharmacy, an . . . — Map (db m98106) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 44-31 — Hebrew Union College - Jewish Institute of Religion
Hebrew Union College (HUC), founded in Cincinnati in 1875, is the oldest institution of higher Jewish learning in the United States. Its founder, Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900), was a leading proponent of Reform Judaism in America. In 1950, the . . . — Map (db m24847) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Joe Nuxhall — Pitcher 1944, 1952-60, 1962-66 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor
With a wartime player shortage affecting rosters throughout baseball, Joe Nuxhall got the chance of a lifetime. At 15 years, 10 months and 11 days old, the high-school hurler took the mound for the Reds at Crosley Field and became the youngest . . . — Map (db m52826) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 27-31 — John James Audubon in Cincinnati
The Cincinnati Museum of Natural History is part of Cincinnati Museum Center. The Western Museum Society, organized by Dr. Daniel Drake in 1818, preceded it. The Western Museum Society's collection was built around ornithology, fossil zoology, . . . — Map (db m23935) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Kennedy Speech
From a platform erected on this site President John F. Kennedy made a speech on October 8, 1962 — Map (db m98033) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Laurel-Lincoln World War II Memorial
. . . — Map (db m25039) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus — Circa 458 BC
The legendary Roman is seen here after he had defeated the Aequians and rescued the trapped Roman army. With one hand he returns the fasces, symbol of power as appointed dictator of Rome. His other hand holds the plow, as he resumes the life of a . . . — Map (db m25596) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ludlow's Station — Outpost on the Ohio Frontier — St Clair and Wayne campsite
Near this spot stood the block house at Ludlow Station built in 1791. - - - - - - General Arthur St. Clair and his army encamped here from Aug. 1st to Sept. 17th, 1791. - - - - - - General Anthony Wayne and his army . . . — Map (db m78961) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle At Christmas — Lytle Park Series
Lytle Park was a showplace at Christmas time for 28 years from 1939 to 1967. Thousands crowded here to view the annual Nativity Crib of the Western and Southern Life Insurance Company complete with live animals. The crib has been moved to Eden . . . — Map (db m24927) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle Park — Lytle Park Series
Welcome to Lytle, the park that was rescued from 20th Century progress. Discovered by Cincinnati's first settlers in 1788 as wilderness, then a grove of peach trees, it became the grounds to an elegant estate and, later, the city's first public . . . — Map (db m24876) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Lytle's Surroundings — Lytle Park Series
Time has changed much of Lytle's surroundings. These handsome townhouses which stood on East Fourth Street were residences of many of Cincinnati's most prominent citizens. Most of the homes became service and civic clubs in the 20th Century and . . . — Map (db m24928) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair — 1736 - 1818
Maj. Gen. Arthur St. Clair 1736 - 1818 The city of Cincinnati was named by General St. Clair Hamilton County was created by His proclamation Jan. 4, 1790 First governor of the Northwest Territory Oct. 5, 1787 Major General . . . — Map (db m43995) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Manning Ferguson Force Memorial — Brevet Major General Union Army — Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Manning F. Force was born Washington D.C., Dec. 17, 1824, son of Peter and Hannah (Evans) Force. Graduate of Harvard Law School, 1848, admitted to the Ohio Bar, 1850. Civil War Brevet Major General –In battles of Fort Donelson, Shiloh, . . . — Map (db m94275) WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — C- 62 — Military Roads — Modern Streets and Highways Follow Old Army Trails
Approximately at this point two Ohio military trails branched. Reading Road fol- lows the marches of Bowman, Clark, Harmar, Harrison, Clay and Shelby.1779- 1812. Central Parkway follows the route of St. Clair and Wayne, 1791- 1793 C- . . . — Map (db m79007) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 57-9 [sic] — Miss Doherty's College Preparatory School for Girls
Mary Harlan Doherty was born in 1862 in the Dayton Street neighborhood of Cincinnati. She graduated from Woodward High School in 1880 at a time when women were not expected to go to college, but rather to marry, raise children, and take care of . . . — Map (db m24624) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Mt. Airy Forest — Listed on the National Register of Historic Places April 13, 2010
Property for Mt. Airy Forest was first acquired in 1911. Its listing by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior, shows the period of significance as 1911-1959 and notes the following: * One of the nation's first city reforestation . . . — Map (db m85300) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — C62 — Ohio Military Trails
Approximately at this point two Ohio military trails branched. Reading Road fol- lows the marches of Bowman, Clark, Harmar, Harrison, Clay and Shelby, 1779 - 1812. Central Parkway follows the route of St. Clair and Wayne, . . . — Map (db m43955) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Piatt Park
The first park in Cincinnati Donated to the people in 1817 by John H. Piatt & Benjamin M. Piatt — Map (db m24308) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Pleasant Ridge - World War One Marker — Lest We Forget
Let Us Hold in Honored Memory Those Who Served Their Country in the Great War * 1917 - 1918 * — Map (db m78724) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 48-31 — Powhatan Beaty / Union Baptist Cemetery
(front) Powhatan Beaty Born in Richmond, Virginia. Powhatan Beaty moved to Cincinnati in 1849, where he spent the majority of his life. Beaty enlisted as a private in the Union Army in June 1863, and two days later was promoted . . . — Map (db m87543) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — President William Howard Taft — Lytle Park Series
Lytle Park echoed the excitement of July 28, 1908, when President William Howard Taft (1909-1913) was officially notified of his nomination to the Presidency at the Taft home of his half-brother Charles. — Map (db m24908) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 36-31 — Procter & Gamble
Begun as a partnership between soap maker William Procter and candle maker James Gamble in 1837, Procter & Gamble (P&G) grew from its roots to become one of the world's largest and best-known consumer products companies. Building on Civil War . . . — Map (db m24600) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 51-31 — Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Side A: Among the first in America, Cincinnati's public library dates from March 14, 1853. A public reading room opened in 1856, but funding remained a problem until 1867, when local school board president Rufus King II secured legislation for a . . . — Map (db m24088) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 41-31 — Rabbi Isaac Mayer Wise and the Plum Street Temple
This historic synagogue symbolizes the work of one of the most important figures in nineteenth-century American Jewry, Isaac Mayer Wise (1819-1900). The Bohemian-born rabbi's many achievements include the establishment of the Union of American . . . — Map (db m24089) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Robert Alphonso Taft
"Mr. Republican" Son of William Howard Taft 1889-1953 Ohio House of Representatives 1921-19226 Ohio Senate 1931-1933 United States Senator from Ohio 1939-1953

Jacques Lipchitx - Sculptor Gift of the Thomas J. Emery Memorial . . . — Map (db m59352) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 35-31 — Robert S. Duncanson
The first African American artist to achieve international acclaim, painter Robert S. Duncanson (1821-1872) was born in New York and settled in Cincinnati in 1840. He pursued his artistic career during a time of tremendous racial prejudice and was . . . — Map (db m24854) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 61-31 — Salmon Portland Chase
Side A: Salmon Portland Chase, a renowned lawyer and statesman, was born in Cornish, New Hampshire, on January 13, 1808. He came to Ohio in 1820 and attended Cincinnati College (1822-23). Chase returned to New Hampshire and graduated from . . . — Map (db m24621) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Site of Home Field of First Pro Baseball Team
The first professional baseball team, the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings, played their home games on this site in a ballpark called Union Grounds. The facility included a main grandstand (nicknamed the “Grand Duchess”), two wings of . . . — Map (db m23937) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Stephen C. Foster
On the site of this school between the years 1846 - 1850 lived Stephen C. Foster Master of the Art of Song Composer of My Old Kentucky Home Swanee River Old Black Joe and many others In Native ballad form and . . . — Map (db m43654) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 24-31 — Taft Museum of Art — Baum-Longworth-Sinton-Taft House
This Federal house was begun about 1820 for Martin Baum (1765-1831), one of Cincinnati's early merchants. Art patron and abolitionist Nicholas Longworth (1782-1863) lived here for more than thirty years and commissioned the notable landscape murals . . . — Map (db m24602) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Ted Kluszewski — First Baseman 1947-57 — Red Legends of Crosley Field, Tom Tsuchiya Sculptor
Ted Kluszewski was an imposing physical specimen, a quintessential power hitter and the inspiration for Cincinnati's sleeveless uniforms. With room for his bulging biceps to move, “Big Klu” muscled his way through the 1950s, averaging . . . — Map (db m52827) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 18-31 — The Sultana
In 1862, less than a mile upriver from this marker, the John Lithoberry Shipyard in Cincinnati constructed the Sultana, a 260-foot, wooden steam transport. At the end of the Civil War, the U.S. Government contracted the Sultana to . . . — Map (db m24614) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Athenaeum — (St. Xavier College)
On this property in 1831 Bishop Edward Fenwick established a college known as the Anthenaeum and placed it under the patronage of St. Francis Xavier. In 1840 his seccessor, Bishop John Baptist Purcell, gave the College to members of . . . — Map (db m42659) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 39-31 — The Betts House, 1804
The oldest building in Cincinnati's basin area, the Betts House exemplifies a national trend on the expanding frontier of impermanent log and frame structures giving way to more permanent brick architecture. It is the earliest surviving brick . . . — Map (db m23943) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 58-31 — The Black Brigade of Cincinnati
Side A: Following the success of Confederate forces in eastern Kentucky and General John Hunt Morgan's raids there in 1862, Cincinnatians believed that Southern invasion was imminent. Anxious officials ordered Cincinnati citizens to form home . . . — Map (db m24617) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Burnet House
When it opened May 30, 1850, the 340-room hotel located on this site was considered one of the finest hotels in the world. Abraham Lincoln stayed here on September 17-18, 1859, while campaigning for the Ohio Republican Party. Lincoln also stayed at . . . — Map (db m98117) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 4-31 — The Church / The Founder
The Church Families of Salem settlement first held services in Francis McCormick's log home. When he gave land in 1817 for a church and public school, they built a log church on this site, later replacing it with a brick building. In 1863 the . . . — Map (db m19922) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 23-31 — The Cincinnati Observatory — "Lighthouse of the Sky"
Side A: Prompted by response to his popular lectures, astronomer Ormsby MacKnight Mitchel (1809-1862) founded the Cincinnati Astronomical Society (CAS) in 1842. With CAS funding, Mitchel traveled to Munich, Bavaria, to acquire the optical . . . — Map (db m24623) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The First High Rise Concrete Frame Building in the United States
Commemorating the first high rise concrete frame building in the United States Erected 1903 — Map (db m55562) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Gamble House — 1850
Home of James Gamble founder of Proctor and Gamble Re-Dedicated in 1992 — Map (db m23957) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 14-31 — The Irish in Cincinnati
Side A: Flatboats on the Ohio River brought many of the first Irish, some with land grants received after the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812, to the Cincinnati area. In 1789, Francis Kennedy arrived in Losantiville, where he operated . . . — Map (db m24611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 46-31 — The Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives
Dr. Jacob Rader Marcus (1896-1995), pioneering historian of the American Jew, founded the American Jewish Archives (AJA) in Cincinnati in 1947. In the aftermath of World War II and the brutal destruction of European Jewry, Marcus anticipated the . . . — Map (db m24849) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Miami and Erie Canal
The Miami and Erie Canal ———— • ———— Over this site once flowed the Miami and Erie Canal, linking the Ohio River with the Maumee and Lake Erie. The canal was opened in 1827 and was finally . . . — Map (db m43960) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — The Taft Museum — Lytle Park Series
Elegance has surrounded Lytle almost from the beginning. This imposing, Federal-style mansion, built by Martin Baum in 1820, became the social and cultural center of Cincinnati in the mid-1880's under the ownership of Nicholas Longworth, a noted . . . — Map (db m24894) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Tucker's Station — Outpost on the Ohio Frontier — Anthony Wayne campsite
In the year 1792, Henry Tucker started clearing land and erecting a Station House on the old Indian Trace in what is now the village of Woodlawn. He had purchased the land from John Cleves Symmes for two dollars per acre. Fear of Indian Attack drove . . . — Map (db m76291) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — White's Station
Here, at the third crossing of Mill Creek, Jacob White, in 1790, built a stockaded settlement consisting of six cabins and a blockhouse. White’s Station was one of several walled settlements which guarded the approaches of Cincinnati and . . . — Map (db m76218) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 43-31 — William Howard Taft / Robert Alphonso Taft
William Howard Taft Born here on September 15, 1857, William Howard Taft is the only American to have served as President and Chief Justice of the United States. His unique career of public service began after he graduated from Yale University . . . — Map (db m59348) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — Wiltsee Undertaker
In 1836, Paul Rust, cabinetmaker was selling “coffins”. Developed into a modern funeral home by three generations of the Wiltsee family. The operation was entrusted in 1945 to two employees, Schaefer & Busby. It is now Ohio's oldest . . . — Map (db m24309) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 61-31 — Woodward High School / School for Creative and Performing Arts
Side A: Woodward High School William and Abigail Cutter Woodward founded Woodward High School, the first public high school west of the Allegheny Mountains, on this site October 24, 1831. Concerned that the poor of Cincinnati had no avenues . . . — Map (db m24596) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — World’s Largest Chime Foot Piano — Verdin
This one-of-a-kind structure was designed and built by Cincinnati’s Verdin Company. Sensors under the piano keys electronically cause the strikers at the top of the structure to ring the chimes. The chimes themselves are historic. They were . . . — Map (db m98037) HM

89 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement