Local Methodist connections for Clay Methodist Church were Cedar Mountain Church and Shiloh Methodist Church. Samuel, a Revolutionary War soldier, was a notable member of these early churches. Many of his descendants are buried here. James Self . . . — — Map (db m117209) HM
The oldest marked grave is that of Nancy Paerson, daughter of William S. Turner who was born September 23, 1813 and died September 19, 1830. Jesse Taylor deeded land for this church and graveyard on February 15, 1856.
Listed in the Alabama . . . — — Map (db m25134) HM
Samuel Massey and his brother - in - law, Duke William Glenn, first came to this Territory in February 1814 with Lt. Col Reuben Nash's Regt. South Carolina Volunteer Militia to help defeat the Creek Indians in the War of 1812. Samuel Massey returned . . . — — Map (db m25088) HM
On Cahaba Mountain to the NW, springs form a fragile stream that grows as it carves through the steep, rocky terrain of Birmingham suburbs, flowing south on the Gulf Coastal Plain to the Alabama River, at the site of Alabama's first capital, . . . — — Map (db m25110) HM
The clay soil of the area, first cultivated by Creek Indians, gave this agricultural community it name in 1878 when a post office was established. Clay’s historical roots date to the early 1800s through two small communities, Ayres and Self’s Beat, . . . — — Map (db m83863) HM
Established about 1850, Wear Cemetery is located off Old Springville Road to the northeast at Countryside Circle. In the 1800's the Wear family was among the first settlers of the community later known as Clay. Twenty-three remaining graves were . . . — — Map (db m25113) HM