This pneumatic (air-driven) drill was once used to help make mining ore more efficient. Compressed air was fed into the drill, which operated a piston that hammered the bit into the rock as it rotated in the chuck. Once the hole was deep enough, . . . — — Map (db m13159) HM
Asbury Francis Lever served in Congress, 1901–1919. On May 8, 1914, the Smith-Lever Act, introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Lever, was signed into law, providing for cooperative agricultural extension services to be . . . — — Map (db m9568) HM
Blue Key National Honor Fraternity
Clemson University Chapter
April 6, 1997
History of the Original Gates
The will of Thomas Green Clemson called for the establishment of a "high seminary of . . . — — Map (db m50972) HM
This land was granted in 1816.
From 1893-1916, the first schools in the area of Clemson were one- and two-room wooden schools.
Calhoun-Clemson, Alma Mater,
Thee do we praise;
For thy noble truth and . . . — — Map (db m21443) HM
John Caldwell Calhoun
Born March 18, 1782, Abbeville District, S.C.
Died March 31, 1850, Washington, D.C.
Buried St. Philip's Churchyard, Charleston, S.C.
Floride Colhoun Calhoun
Born February 15, 1792, Charleston, . . . — — Map (db m51067) HM
In Proud Remembrance of
Those Sons of
Who Gave Their Lives in the Great Cause
1917 - Of Liberty and Justice - 1918
Claude S. Garrett '17 1st Lt. 8th Aero Sq.
Richard H. Johnson '15 1st Lt. 56th Inf.
George L. McCord . . . — — Map (db m21445) HM
Clemson University was founded in 1889 as the Clemson Agricultural College of S.C., with its origins in the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 creating public land-grant colleges. It was established by a bequest from Thomas Green . . . — — Map (db m9572) HM
Clemson University was founded in 1889 as the Clemson Agricultural College of S.C., with its origins in the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862 creating public land-grant colleges. It was established by a bequest from Thomas Green . . . — — Map (db m14387) HM
For many years, Dr. Luther W. Baxter, Professor Emeritus of Plant Pathology, maintained this collection, aided by a group of volunteers. Much of Dr. Baxter's research focused on camellia diseases. To reduce root-rot, he taught the volunteers how to . . . — — Map (db m19575) HM
Margaret Marie Snider came to the College in January, 1955. She transferred to Clemson from Anderson College and finished her degree in 1957. Snider was the first woman to complete degree requirements at Clemson. She studied chemistry, then houses . . . — — Map (db m20420) HM
John C. Calhoun
----- • -----
United States Congressman 1811-1817
Secretary of War 1817-1825
Vice President of the United States 1825-1832
United States Senator 1832-1843
Secretary of State 1844-1845
United States . . . — — Map (db m9540) HM
Fort Hill plantation, home of John C. Calhoun and later Thomas Green Clemson, enjoys a rich history with Clemson University, the state of South Carolina and the United States.
John C. Calhoun, former U.S. House of Representative and . . . — — Map (db m51284) HM
John C. Calhoun's Plantation Office was his private sanctuary and housed both his study and library during his twenty-five year residency at Fort Hill. In this building Calhoun developed and set forth his most historically significant . . . — — Map (db m9566) HM
The Cadet Life Garden
The Cadet Life Garden is dedicated to a special period in Clemson history. From its foundation until 1956, Clemson was an all-military college, one of seven in the nation. The student body was organized as a Corps of . . . — — Map (db m19483) HM
Built for Paul de St Julien in
1716 in Berkley County, S.C.
Hanover was reconstructed
on campus in 1941 and was
relocated to this site in 1994.
Listed on the National Register
of Historic Places. — — Map (db m13162) HM
Hanover House, built 1714-16 in what is now Berkeley County and moved to the Clemson College campus in 1941, is a fine example of Dutch Colonial architecture. It was built for French Huguenot planter Paul de St. Julien (d. 1741). . . . — — Map (db m44537) HM
The Hanover House was built in 1716 in Berkeley County, S.C. for French Huguenot Paul de St. Julien. St. Julien honored his French heritage in the mortar of one chimney by inscribing "Pue a Pue" from the French proverb "Little by Little the bird . . . — — Map (db m64780) HM
The Heritage Gardens Project was initiated in 1990 by the Class of 1939. Sponsored by several loyal classes, alumni, and friends of Clemson, its design and early stages of construction was managed by the Class of '39 Heritage Gardens Committee, . . . — — Map (db m19471) HM
This Heritage Gardens entrance is given by the Class of 1939 in honor of their classmate
Walter T. Cox, Sr
whose lifetime of dedication to Clemson included serving as President from July 1985 to March 1986. — — Map (db m19473) HM
Hopewell was the family home of General Andrew Pickens, Revolutionary War hero and Indian Commissioner, and his wife, Rebecca Calhoun Pickens. Their son, Andrew Pickens, S.C. Governor, 1816-1818, later owned Hopewell, and it was the . . . — — Map (db m9586) HM
Hopewell Plantation was home to Revolutionary War General Andrew Pickens and his wife, Rebecca Calhoun Pickens. On July 16, 1785, Pickens acquired a grant of 573 acres on the Seneca River. By August 1, 1785, Pickens received an additional 560 acres . . . — — Map (db m54892) HM
The Hopewell Treaties were the first formal treaties after the battles between the United States and the Southern Native American tribes. Gen. Andrew Pickens, also known as "Skyagunsta" or "Border Wizard Owl," negotiated the treaties with . . . — — Map (db m54916) HM
This Garden was the brain-child of two of the Botanical Garden's most dedicated volunteers, Chuck and Betty Cruickshank. Their enthusiasm for hostas inspired them to suggest that a hosta display be planted at the South Carolina Botanical Garden. . . . — — Map (db m19600) HM
Ransom and Martha Hunt were well-to-do farmers, with over 8,000 acres of land. They lived in this cabin (built by slaves in 1835) with their 12 children near Seneca, South Carolina.
19th century life in the South Carolina Piedmont was . . . — — Map (db m19580) HM
Clemson University became the first white college or university in the state to integrate on January 28, 1963. Harvey B. Gantt, a Charleston native wanting to study architecture, had applied for admission in 1961. When Clemson . . . — — Map (db m9530) HM
Named in honor of John Caldwell Calhoun, (1782-1850), the Old South's most admired statesman and profound philosopher and America's most influential spokesman for state's rights.
From 1808 to 1810 he served his state as a member of the S.C. . . . — — Map (db m14099) HM
2¼ miles west is the site of Keowee built by John Ewing Colhoun as his upcountry seat in 1792. His sister, Mrs. Andrew Pickens, lived nearby at Hopewell. His daughter, Floride, married her cousin, John C. Calhoun, and lived at Fort . . . — — Map (db m9529) HM
Built in Oconee County about 1850
Restored 1995 by
Class of 1915
W.J. Hunter, Pres. (Deceased 1953)
David J. Watson, 1st V. Pres.
E.H. Pate, 2nd V. Pres.
P.C. Crayton, Secy.
Class Building Committee
David J. Watson, Chairman . . . — — Map (db m15032) HM
This park honors Clemson University's
legacy of service.
It is a tribute to those who have served,
to those who are serving,
and to those who will serve.
[South . . . — — Map (db m55148) HM
Military Heritage Plaza
"This Hallowed Ground"
Clemson University was established in 1889 to offer
education in applied sciences, including military
training. The institution opened four years later
and for the next 62 years academic . . . — — Map (db m20440) HM
Old Stone Church
This church was built in 1797 for Hopewell (Keowee) Presbyterian congregation by John Rusk on land given by John Miller. Andrew Pickens and Robert Anderson of Revolutionary War fame were elders at its organization. The Reverend . . . — — Map (db m9420) HM
Clemson A&M College
in Cooperation with
Works Projects Administration
J.M. Stallworth, President
A.D. Graham, Vice President
A.C. Commander, Secretary
E. . . . — — Map (db m20570) HM
On this spot, under a great oak three which stood here, the first meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Clemson Agricultural College was held May 2, 1888.
The following is a copy of the record of that meeting.
"Fort Hill, Oconee County, . . . — — Map (db m9564) HM
The Battle of Seneca Town
Seneca Town, on the Seneca River E of present-day Seneca, was one of several Cherokee “Lower Towns.” On August 1, 1776, Maj. Andrew Williamson’s S.C. militia, on a raid against these . . . — — Map (db m44540) HM
The South Carolina Botanical Garden began in 1958 when a camellia collection on the Clemson University campus was moved to make way for construction. Since that time, many others have been added, and the collection now contains more than 300 . . . — — Map (db m19538) HM
Hostas are herbaceous perennials grown primarily for their foliage. There are more than 1500 species, cultivars and hybrids in the genus Hosta, and new ones are introduced every year.
Hosta leaves come in various shades of green, yellow . . . — — Map (db m19601) HM
A gift from Mr. Claude J. "Pappy" Hayden provided funds to construct this building in 1979. It was originally called the Horticultural Service Center but after renovation in 1992, it was renamed in honor of its original donor. Mr. Hayden, a Clemson . . . — — Map (db m19576) HM
The Old Stone Church, along with the visitor sites of Pendleton Village, Fort Hill Plantation and Oconee Station, reflect the area;s transition from frontier to antebellum South Carolina society. The Church's early membership . . . — — Map (db m14459) HM
A Few of the People Interred Here
Buried within the cemetery grounds are people involved in the Indian campaigns of the late Colonial Period, soldiers and patriots of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Indian/Creek War of 1815-16, . . . — — Map (db m14468) HM
This bell was originally hung in the Tillman Hall Clock Tower in 1905, where it faithfully tolled the hours until replaced by the carillon in 1985. During those so eventful years, it joyfully rang out for the graduation of . . . — — Map (db m20424) HM
This 44 acres of the Botanical Garden was formerly the Horticultural Gardens of Clemson University, an innovative concept of Dr. T.L. Senn, Professor and Head Emeritus of Clemson's Department of Horticulture. Work began in 1959 on heavily eroded . . . — — Map (db m19509) HM
Dedicated, April 28, 1989
...These gates, that were originally donated to Clemson by the class of 1928, were moved to this present location as a Centennial gift of Clemson University by Tiger Brotherhood, marking the official entrance to our . . . — — Map (db m51343) HM
Walter T. Cox, Jr., native of Belton, South Carolina, came to Clemson University in 1935 as a freshman cadet. As a student, he was a company commander in the cadet Corps and an all-state guard on the football team. After graduating in 1939, he . . . — — Map (db m20566) HM
Letter in both Football and Track
Wingback and Defensive Back on the Tiger Football Teams of 1941, '55, '45, and '46
100-Yard and 220-Yard Dashes, Tiger Track Team of 1945
Drafted by the Chicago Bears of the National Football . . . — — Map (db m20676) HM