On Porter Street Northwest at 30th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Porter Street Northwest.
In the early 20th century, small apartment buildings and houses were constructed on Macomb, Ordway, Porter, Quebec, and Rodman Streets. Another popular style on these streets was the Bungalow, one of many styles that could be ordered by mail from . . . — — Map (db m111607) HM
On Macomb Street Northwest at Ross Place Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Macomb Street Northwest.
In 1912, renowned country house architect, Charles Adams Platt designed several buildings on this 20 acre country estate in collaboration with landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman.
Initially named The Causeway for its stone bridges across . . . — — Map (db m112392) HM
On Connecticut Avenue Northwest at Orway Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on Connecticut Avenue Northwest.
Connecticut Avenue's commercial corridor, between Macomb and Ordwary, reflects changes in retail that followed changes in modes of transportation from 1890 streetcar, to automobiles, to the Cleveland Park Metro Station in 1981. Individual stores on . . . — — Map (db m67824) HM
On Newark Street Northwest at 33rd Place Northwest, on the right when traveling east on Newark Street Northwest. Reported unreadable.
In 1910, this was the site of a shed hosting a horse drawn chemical fire truck, an important amenity as the first houses in Cleveland Park were constructed mainly of wood, and the new suburb was far from city services. In 1916, the District . . . — — Map (db m112388) HM
On Quebec Street Northwest at Idaho Avenue Northwest, on the left when traveling west on Quebec Street Northwest.
Cleveland Park's lovely, hidden private gardens periodically open to the public in organized garden tours. These tours are but one of many results of the long history of resident collaboration. In the 1920s, the Cleveland Park Club and the Cleveland . . . — — Map (db m112376) HM
This Pennsylvania Dutch style structure was built in 1823 by Joshua Pierce. The west side was added in 1843. It encloses ten rooms within its three stories. A utility house and potting shed flank the rear.
Joshua was an avid horticulturist, and . . . — — Map (db m70684) HM
On Reno Street Northwest at Quebec Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on Reno Street Northwest.
An 1897 study for Washington, D.C. by the renowned landscape architecture firm of Frederick Law Olmstead influenced the layout of many streets in Cleveland Park. Rather than following the standard grid pattern, streets east of 34th Street (Reno . . . — — Map (db m112374) HM
On Porter Street Northwest at 35th Street Northwest, on the left when traveling west on Porter Street Northwest.
1. Roma Restaurant - Mary Belcher
2. Commerce - Eleanor Oliver
3. The Broadmoor - John Simpson
4. Causeway at Tregaron - John Woo
5. Red Top - John Woo
6. Queen Anne Style - Di Stovall
7. Early Fire Fighting - Caitlin Werrell
8. . . . — — Map (db m112379) HM
On Porter Street Northwest at Wisconsin Avenue NW, on the left when traveling west on Porter Street Northwest.
Founded by Mary Day and her teacher, Lisa Gardner, in 1944, the Washington School of Ballet has grown from one studio on the first floor of this corner building into the headquarters of the Washington Ballet. The Washington Ballet is comprised of a . . . — — Map (db m112378) HM
On Spring of Freedom Street near 3900 Spring of Freedom Street Northwest when traveling west.
“Fidelissimus Ad Mortem”
Michael Kovats de Fabricy
A Hungarian American Hero, who gave his life for Freedom in the Battle of Charleston in 1779
Executed in Bronze by Attila Dienes . . . — — Map (db m79452) HM WM
On Shoemaker Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Peirce Still House, built between 1796 and 1811, was part of a large plantation owned by Isaac Peirce, a Quaker from Pennsylvania and slave owner, who purchased the property in 1795. Much of the Peirce Estate became part of Rock Creek Park when . . . — — Map (db m82098) HM
During the 19th century, the majority of the land now known as Rock Creek Park was owned by Isaac Peirce, one of Washington's most prominent land holders and mill owners. It was here that Isaac's son, Joshua Peirce, constructed his home in 1823 on . . . — — Map (db m97976) HM
On Newark Street Northwest west of Connecticut Avenue Northwest, on the right when traveling west.
This 1898 Queen Anne style house is an outstanding example designed by Robert Thompson Head, the most prolific architect during the first phase of the Cleveland Park neighborhood's development. Between 1897 and 1901, Head designed houses for John . . . — — Map (db m112391) HM
On Connecticut Avenue Northwest at Macomb Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north on Connecticut Avenue Northwest.
Cleveland Park was named for Grover Cleveland who bought a country house on now Newark Street in 1886. In the 1890s, electrified streetcars ran on Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues and led to the development of the Cleveland Park "suburb".
Shops . . . — — Map (db m112449) HM
On Newark Street Northwest at 36th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest.
The grand, 1,000 acre Rosedale Estate which was later subdivided to form Cleveland Park, was purchased by General Uriah Forrest, an aid-de-camp of General George Washington, who built a farmhouse in 1793. Between 1920-1959, the estate was owned by . . . — — Map (db m112382) HM WM
On Highland Place Northwest at Ashley Terrace Northwest, on the right when traveling north on Highland Place Northwest.
Between 1903 and 1912, the second phase of Cleveland Park development featured houses in the Arts and Crafts style. Many of these were Sherman Cottages named for Ella Bennett Sherman, artist and wife of developer John Sherman. Smaller and less . . . — — Map (db m112390) HM
On 35th Street Northwest at Macomb Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 35th Street Northwest.
Cleveland Park derives it's name from it's most illustrious resident, President Grover Cleveland. In 1886, Cleveland purchased a stone farmhouse on the South side of now Newark Street, directly opposite Rosedale, which served as the Cleveland's . . . — — Map (db m112386) HM
On Tilden Street, NW near Rock Creek, in the median.
This small stone structure was built by Isaac Pierce in 1801. Constructed around a natural spring, it was used as a cooling place for cheese, milk, and butter products, during the hot summer months. It also provided a clean water supply.
A . . . — — Map (db m79644) HM
On Connecticut Avenue Northwest north of Porter Street Northwest, on the right when traveling north. Reported damaged.
The Broadmoor epitomizes the luxury apartment/hotels built along Connecticut Avenue in the 1920s. Designed in 1927 by prominent architect Joseph H. Abel, the Broadmoor featured a pioneering underground garage, restaurant and bar, beauty salon, . . . — — Map (db m111655) HM
On Newark Street Northwest at 35th Street Northwest, on the right when traveling west on Newark Street Northwest.
The Rosedale farmhouse is said to be the oldest house surviving in Washington, DC. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
The farmhouse is a private home.
Please do not enter farmhouse grounds.
. . . — — Map (db m112385) HM WM
On Macomb Street Northwest west of Ross Place Northwest, on the right when traveling east.
The historic gardens of the Tregaron Estate with pathways, flowing streams and stone bridges are an enduring treasure and place of discovery.
Tregaron Conservancy is dedicated to the preservation and rehabilitation of the woodland garden . . . — — Map (db m112393) HM