Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
16 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Cleveland

 
"Chief Jack" Walker Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, May 21, 2014
"Chief Jack" Walker Marker Area
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 71 — "Chief Jack" Walker
Here stood the home of John Walker, Junior, known as “Chief Jack”. A grandson of Nancy Ward, he was prominent in the affairs of the Cherokee nation, belonging to the party advocating a voluntary treaty of removal of the Cherokees to the . . . — Map (db m81366) HM
2Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Allen Grammar School
On this site in 1910, East Side School was constructed to serve as a three year City High School. The students then transferred to Bradley Central High School when it was completed in 1916. The school was renamed Allen Grammar School in honor of . . . — Map (db m153740) HM
3Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 103 — Bradley Central High School
On this site in 1916, Bradley Central High School began meeting the educational needs of this community. Adopting its name from the county, which in turn was named in honor of Col. Edward Bradley, a veteran of both the Revolutionary War and the War . . . — Map (db m153667) HM
4Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 109 — Civil War "No Man's Land"
After battles at Chattanooga in November 1863, and before the Atlanta Campaign the following May, southern Bradley County lay between Union and Confederate lines at Cleveland, Tennessee, and Dalton, Georgia. Both armies scouted the area. Soldiers . . . — Map (db m115884) HM
5Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Cleveland During the Civil WarStruggle for Control
When the Civil War began, Cleveland was a divided community with most residents being sympathetic to the Union. Confederate troops occupied the area in 1861 to control the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad and to protect the vitally important . . . — Map (db m69342) HM
6Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Col. Benjamin Cleveland1738-1806
Benjamin Cleveland was born in Virginia, later served in the North Carolina House of Commons and led the Wilkes County militia at the Battle of Kings' Mountain on October 7, 1780. This battle was considered a turning point of the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m107924) HM
7Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 101 — College Hill School1883-1966
On this site in 1883, the first local school building for African-Americans was erected. In 1890, the school awarded four diplomas at its first commencement. The wooden building was razed in 1924, and a new brick structure was built to house grades . . . — Map (db m153738) HM
8Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Confederate Memorial
South (front) face CSA 1861 1865 To our known and unknown Confederate dead East face 1861-1865 Erected by, the Jefferson Davis Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1910. West . . . — Map (db m153676) WM
9Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A-92 — Cooper Cemetery
In 1873, Bennet Cooper (1797-1886) gave one-quarter of an acre of land for a family burying ground. His first wife, Lydia, was buried there along with several other family members. The cemetery is located on a ridge behind the Cooper Homeplace which . . . — Map (db m81367) HM
10Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Fort Hill CemeteryDefending Cleveland
First called City Cemetery, this is the resting place of both Confederate and Union soldiers. On November 4, 1862, a train wreck south of Cleveland killed 17 Confederate soldiers who are buried here in a mass grave. Nearby engagements in 1863 . . . — Map (db m102186) HM
11Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Lee College
Since 1885 this campus has been dedicated to the purposes of Christian higher education. Lee College was founded by the Church of God as Bible Training School on January 1, 1918, on Caut Avenue in Cleveland. The school relocated in Sevierville in . . . — Map (db m49558) HM
12Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Masonic Female Institute"Sadly abused"
Masonic Lodge No. 134 and the town of Cleveland established the Masonic Female Institute in 1848 and opened the school in 1856. At the beginning of the war, student and diarist Myra Inman wrote of a disruption in the school's leadership: "Mr. . . . — Map (db m153687) HM
13Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 41 — Oak Grove Male Academy
Chartered Dec. 16, 1837, this was the first such institution in the Ocoee Purchase; here was its home during its entire existence. An early teacher (1843) was Henry von Aldehoff, a native of Prussia and graduate of Bonn University. This building was . . . — Map (db m49559) HM
14Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — 2A 44 — Red Clay Council Ground
One mile west was this Cherokee council ground. Here was held the last council between the United States and the Cherokee nation, preceding the removal of the Indians to Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. John Howard Payne, author of “Home, . . . — Map (db m49722) HM
15Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Union IV Corps at Blue SpringsThe Calm Before the Storm
After Union victories at Chattanooga in November 1863, the Union Army IV Corps's First Division, led by Gen. David S. Stanley, camped in this valley and made preparations for the Atlanta Campaign. By April 1864, more than 9,000 men were present, . . . — Map (db m153744) HM
16Tennessee (Bradley County), Cleveland — Union Monument
This monument is to perpetuate the memory of the Boys in Blue in the war of 1861-65 who have lived in Bradley County was dedicated by Oviatt Post No. 20 G. A. R. May 30 1914 — Map (db m153743) WM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 23, 2020