Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Clinton, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Clinton Female Seminary Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 7, 2009
Clinton Female Seminary Marker
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-11 — Clinton Female Seminary
Clinton Female Seminary was incorporated on Dec. 15, 1821 by Act of Legislature signed by Gov. John Clark. Trustees were James Smith, Gustavus Hendrick, Samuel Lowther, Henry G. Lamar and Charles J. McDonald. This successful school under Rev. Thomas . . . — Map (db m25209) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-6 — Gen. Iverson’s Birthplace>>>------>
Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, C.S.A., son of Senator Alfred Iverson, also a Brig. Gen., and Caroline Goode Holt, was born here Feb. 14, 1829. He served with the U. S. Cavalry in the Mexican War and Mormon campaign and fought the Comanches and Kiowas. . . . — Map (db m24994) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — LaFayette
On March 25, 1825 LaFayette Paused Here and Made an Address — Map (db m25188) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — Macarthy-Pope House
Side 1: Known as Clinton’s oldest house, the Macarthy-Pope house is believed to have been built between 1809 and 1810. Benjamin and William Trapp owned the dwelling between 1818 and 1832. During the latter two years of their . . . — Map (db m57495) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — R9 — Old Clinton"...with much difficulty he restrained them from burning the [entire] town." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
Founded in 1808 Clinton was a commercial and educational center and the early seat of Jones County. It was planned with streets in a New England styled gridiron pattern and a central square. In 1820 Clinton was the fourth -largest town in Georgia. . . . — Map (db m103208) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-3 — Samuel GriswoldIron-master ←—«
The first iron foundry in Georgia was established here by Samuel Griswold who came from Connecticut, settling in Clinton in 1820. He also manufactured about 1,000 cotton gins a year and ran a steam sawmill and grist mill. Moving to Griswoldville in . . . — Map (db m25201) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-18 — Sherman’s Right Wing
On the night of Nov. 19, 1864, Kilpatrick’s cavalry division [US], which was covering the advance of the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman’s army on its destructive March to the Sea, camped at Clinton. At noon on the 20th, the . . . — Map (db m25204) HM
Georgia (Jones County), Clinton — 084-14 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. George Stoneman, with three cavalry . . . — Map (db m25207) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.