Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Cockeysville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Cornerstone from Wesley Chapel Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, July 23, 2019
Cornerstone from Wesley Chapel Marker
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Cornerstone from Wesley ChapelHistorical Society of Baltimore County
Cornerstone from Wesley Chapel-Located on Wesley Chapel Road, 0.3 miles west of Troyer Road, Monkton. Second church at the site built 1888, destroyed by fire c. 1900, rebuilt in 1901, dismantled in 1976 due to declining membership. Cemetery still . . . — Map (db m137215) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Gilmor's RaidCapturing Cockeysville — Early's 1864 Attack on Washington —
(preface) In June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and Gen .Jubal A. Early’s corps from the Richmond battlefields to the Shenandoah Valley to counter Union Gen. David Hunter’s army. After driving Hunter into West Virginia, Early invaded . . . — Map (db m75286) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Hayfields
Colonel Nicholas Merryman Bosley, builder, 1810, awarded silver tankard “by the hand of Lafayette” for best cultivated Maryland farm, 1824. Also home of John Merryman, early importer, 1848, of registered Hereford cattle, still, 1967, . . . — Map (db m2280) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Lime Kiln
Lime Kilns in this area were built into hillsides for support. A fire was maintained at the bottom of the pit and crude lime from a nearby source was thrown on top of it. The heat from the fire would separate the pure powder form of the lime from . . . — Map (db m53201) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Millstone
Millstone-White granite one-piece Cologne millstone from the Rhine valley, from the Fitzhugh Mill located on Fitzhugh Run, north of Dulaney Valley road near the Fishing Center, east of Jarrettsville Pike, Found on watershed property of Elmer R. . . . — Map (db m137213) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — North Central Railroad Trail
Completed in 1832, the North Central Railroad carried passengers and freight between Baltimore, York, and Harrisburg for 140 years. After the decline of the railroad, the railroad bed was converted to a rail trail in 1984. Today the Maryland portion . . . — Map (db m53200) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Phoenix
Phoenix, one of the many mill towns of the 1800s in Baltimore County, survives today as a secluded little village beside the Gunpowder River and the Northern Central Railroad 15 miles north of Baltimore. Today's Phoenix, with its big Victorian . . . — Map (db m53202) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Property Boundary Marker
Originally erected on the southwest corner of Church Lane and York Road. House Taylors Hall was on Padonia Road within what became quarry property, relocated to Rockland by M. Azola 1985. Historical Society of Baltimore County www.hsobc.org . . . — Map (db m137192) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — Third and Last County Almshouse
Building constructed and furnished at cost of $60,000 from proceeds of sale of old Almshouse property under authority of County Commissioners granted by Acts of Maryland General Assembly, April 1, 1872. Site purchased from John Galoway. Structure . . . — Map (db m2300) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Cockeysville — White Marble Block
From the railroad track bed of Baltimore & Susquehanna Railroad, below Padonia Road bridge. Cut out area in block is to hold rail track. Cockeysville marble, found during construction of the Light Rail.

Historical Society of Baltimore . . . — Map (db m137189) HM


10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement