Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coldwater, Michigan Historical Markers

 
Branch Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, May 17, 2013
Branch Cemetery Marker
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch Cemetery
The plat for the Village of Branch was signed the 16th day of March 1832 in Detroit by Sol. Sibley a Supreme Court judge for the Territory of Michigan. The proprietors Elisha Warren, De Gormo Jones, and Ebenezer S. Sibley also signed. . . . — Map (db m66771) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1642C — Branch County / Branch County Courthouse Site
(Obverse Side) Branch County Branch County, named for John Branch, President Andrew Jackson's secretary of the navy, was one of thirteen counties established by the Michigan Territorial Legislature in 1829. The village of Branch, . . . — Map (db m66759) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County Korean and Vietnam Wars Memorial
In honor of the men and women who served their God and Country during the Korean and Vietnam Wars — Map (db m66770) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County World War I Memorial 1917 1919
A tribute to the men of Branch County who served in the spirit of loyalty served their country in the World War and in loving memory of those inscribed below who made the supreme sacrifice. Adams, George R. Alderman, Claude W. Berger, . . . — Map (db m66692) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Branch County World War II Memorial
Memorial To honor those valiant men and women of World War II who gave their lives for God and Country Paul Keller Richard Symons Donald Perry Rollin Johnson Marion Nutt Donald Russell Sidney Palmateer Harold Van Patten . . . — Map (db m66769) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Coldwater Michigan National Guard Armory Memorial
The Michigan National Guard Armory was dedicated in 1917 and was the major information and gathering facility for Branch County's Military, Company A-32. These guns, known as the Maxim-Nordenfeldt Automatics, are anti-aircraft weapons, and they . . . — Map (db m66694) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Coldwater War Memorial
(Front Panel) To the memory of the soldier dead Erected by Butterworth Woman's Relief Corps No. 31 and the Citizens of Coldwater Dec 1906 (Right Side Panel) To the memory of the soliders of the . . . — Map (db m66718) WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L657A — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1837, the same year that Coldwater became a village, the local Presbyterian society held services in various quarters until 1844 when it erected its first church. It completed the present Romanesque Revival-style brick church in 1869 at . . . — Map (db m66767) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Frank D. Newberry Volunteer Soldier
Born at Rochester, Michigan, June 23, 1840 Died at San Jose, California, December 28, 1912 Civil War 1861-1863 Private Duryees Zouaves, 5th N.Y. Inf. Michigan National Guard Enlisted 1876 Commissioned Capt. Co. A, 2nd Regt. . . . — Map (db m66691) HM WM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S489 — Governor Cyrus Gray Luce
On this site lived Cyrus Gray Luce, twenty-seventh Governor of Michigan. Born in Ohio in 1824, he moved to Branch County about 1849. He soon became involved in township, local and state politics, serving on the Board of Agriculture, in the . . . — Map (db m66760) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L2258 — H.C. Lewis Art Gallery / Masonic Temple
H.C. Lewis Art Gallery Businessman Henry Clay Lewis and his wife, Alma, built the original part of this structure in 1869 to house their extensive art collection and make it available to the public. The Italianate building complimented the . . . — Map (db m103503) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L1490C — Harriet Quimby
(Front Side) According to a long-standing Quimby family tradition, early aviatrix Harriet Quimby was born in the Coldwater area on May 1, 1875, to Ursula (Cook) and William Quimby. She spent her childhood in Arcadia, Michigan, and Arroyo . . . — Map (db m67528) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Loomis' Battery Battery A First Michigan Light Artillery Organized in Coldwater and Known as
This is one of the six ten pounder Parrott guns sent to Loomis Battery by General McClellan at Rich Mountain, West Virginia, to replace the old six pounder brass gun originally supplied the battery, and was in service in West Virginia from July 1st . . . — Map (db m66690) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S275 — Michigan Library Association
The first formal step toward the founding of a state library association was taken by Mary A. Eddy, of the Coldwater Free Public Library, in a letter to Henry M. Utley of the Detroit Public Library on January 13, 1891. They had discussed this matter . . . — Map (db m66717) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — Old Sam Born April 4, 1849 Died November 8, 1876
Hero of the Civil War, a beautiful, powerfully built draft horse, was the only survivor of the two hundred horses assigned to the Loomis battery of Michigan, after having been engaged in many battles and skirmishes. Old Sam was wounded several . . . — Map (db m66693) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S530B — State Public School at Coldwater / Coldwater Regional Center
State Public School at Coldwater In 1871 the Michigan legislature authorized the building of a special state public school to furnish temporary support and instruction for dependent and neglected children between the ages of four and . . . — Map (db m68976) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — L19 — The City of Coldwater, 1861-1961
Potawatomie Indians ceded Coldwater Prairie to the United States in 1827. The Indians called it “Chuck-sew-ya-bish,” meaning “cold spring water.” Coldwater is located at the junction of Old Sauk and Fort Wayne Indian trails. . . . — Map (db m65858) HM
Michigan (Branch County), Coldwater — S445 — Wing House Museum
(Front Side) This impressive Second Empire style home with mansard roof was constructed in 1875 for Jay M. Chandler (1850-1884) and his young bride Frances. On this site from 1847-1871 had stood the Parrish flouring mill. Jay, the fourth . . . — Map (db m66761) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement