Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

College Station, Texas Historical Markers

 
Academic Building image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
Academic Building
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Academic Building
The Academic Building (1914) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke, '86 and Samuel E. Gideon, after Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1912. The beaux-arts classical design is a four-storied reinforced concrete structure faced with . . . — Map (db m120269) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Chemistry Building
The Chemistry Building (1929) was designed by S. C. P. Vosper, using classical design proportions and details. It was extended to the east in 1981 and 1988. The ornamentation uses a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired from the art of . . . — Map (db m120273) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8674 — College Station Railroad Depots
In 1871 Texas Governor Edmund Davis appointed three Commissioners to select a site for the newly established Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M College). The Commissioners chose this location in large part because of the . . . — Map (db m119630) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13065 — Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game
In 1920, David J. Finn and other Texas A&M electrical engineering students attempted to broadcast the football game at Oklahoma A&M via ham radio. When the plan failed they used a telephone backup, relaying game updates to fans gathered in the Texas . . . — Map (db m119624) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8675 — Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were . . . — Map (db m119625) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Francis Hall
Rolland Adelsperger, College Architect and Professor of Architecture and Architectural Engineering designed Francis Hall in a highly distinctive romanesque style in 1913 for the School of Veterinary Medicine. The proposed design exceeded the . . . — Map (db m120274) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — History Building
The History Building was erected in 1922 as the Agriculture Building and housed the Dean of Agriculture for about ten years. Architect E. B. La Roche used a classical revival style with a strong base, rusticated brick main floor, and two-story . . . — Map (db m120275) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — K. K. Legett Hall Centennial
Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of . . . — Map (db m120270) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13369 — Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University opened in October 1876 and established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its Congressional mandate to teach military tactics. The students at what was then an all-male institution were required to serve in the corps and follow . . . — Map (db m119627) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Nagle Hall
Nagle Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, constructed in 1909 as the Civil Engineering building. Renamed in 1929 for James C. Nagle, the first dean of the School of Engineering. The design maintains the campus' distinct classical . . . — Map (db m120268) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Sbisa Dining Hall
Sbisa Dining Hall (1913) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke to replace the castle-like 1897 mess hall that burned in 1911. It anchors the north end of Military Walk whose south terminus was Guion Assembly Hall (1918-1971). A . . . — Map (db m120271) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8696 — Shiloh Community
Settled in the 1860s by Czech, German, and Polish immigrants, the Shiloh community was an area of large family farms. In addition to homes and farms, the settlement at one time boasted a community center, a two-room school, a vineyard, a mill, and a . . . — Map (db m102000) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8698 — Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
Soon after its opening in 1876, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its mandate to instruct its students (all-male until the early 1960s) in military science. A&M contributed more . . . — Map (db m119628) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8699 — Texas A&M University
The State Legislature authorized the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas April 17, 1871, under terms of the Federal Morrill Act. Constitutionally a part of a chartered, yet-unorganized state university, A&M gained its own directorate in . . . — Map (db m119592) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 18810 — Texas AMC and WWI
World War I allowed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas to expand beyond military training and directly contribute to the war effort with staff and students volunteering for service in large numbers. Students first served for other . . . — Map (db m126521) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Williams Administration Building
The Williams Building (1932) was designed by architect S. C. P. Vosper in a classical revival style as the headquarters for the Texas A&M System. The building faced the new state highway symbolizing the shift from train to automobile travel. The . . . — Map (db m120276) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement