Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Collierville, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Battle of Collierville Marker image, Touch for more information
By Lee Hattabaugh, October 21, 2010
Battle of Collierville Marker
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Battle of ColliervilleAn Unexpected Guest
Collierville's location on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad made it strategically important throughout the Civil War. Frequently occupied by Union forces, the town found itself in the gun sights of Confederate cavalrymen intent on severing . . . — Map (db m37267) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Battle of Collierville
(Side one): On Oct. 11, 1863, Gen. James R. Chalmers, with a force of about 3000 Confederate cavalrymen, consisting of the 7th TN, 13th TN, 18th MS, 2nd MO, 2nd AR, and 3rd MS, approached Collierville from the south along Mt. Pleasant Road. . . . — Map (db m63137) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Chalmers's Collierville Raid"... break the railroad behind him."
Early in November 1863, Union Gen. William T. Sherman was moving east to relieve the Union army at Chattanooga. Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston ordered Gen. James R. Chalmers to "harass [Sherman's] rear and break the railroad behind him." . . . — Map (db m37269) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville Christian Church
The Collierville Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was originally founded in Fayette County near the close of the Civil War. Construction began at the present location in 1873. Renovations to the building were made in 1906, and again in the . . . — Map (db m63135) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville High School
This land, which was actually in Mississippi until 1838, originally belonged to the Chickasaws. This area has served as a central hub for education in Collierville since 1873, when Bellevue Female College constructed a two story wooden building . . . — Map (db m76812) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville United Methodist ChurchSanctuary on the Square
One of two sanctuaries of Collierville United Methodist Church, the Sanctuary on the Square was built in 1900 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South congregation. The Methodists were the first to erect a church in the community and from . . . — Map (db m82673)
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville, Tenn.
Collierville, first known as Oak Grove, was founded in about 1835 and was named for Jesse R. Collier. The county’s second oldest town was near Mt. Pleasant Rd. and Hwy. 57 on land of Adams, Floyd, Hodge, Collier and the Tharp Grant. In 1837, the . . . — Map (db m63134) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Crisscross Lodge1913
The home of Cecil and Laura Davis Elliott was designed in 1913 by architect Bayard Snowden Cairnes of the Memphis firm Hanker and Cairnes. Cairnes, who was trained at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris, used a unique hexagonal plan that provided a . . . — Map (db m37266) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — First Baptist Church
By August 1836, before Jesse Collier and Horace Barbee had advertised “Collier Town for Sale” in the Memphis Enquirer, the Baptists had located in the Collierville area. Shiloh Church was established on the north side of State Line Road . . . — Map (db m76816) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Presbyterian Church of Collierville
In 1844 Salem Presbyterian Church was established in southeast Shelby County. It remained there until 1871 and then relocated to Collierville. The name was changed to the Presbyterian Church of Collierville. The Presbyterians met at the Methodist . . . — Map (db m63131) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
The corner stone for Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church was laid on April 22, 1890. The church was consecrated on May 27, 1891. Anna Holden, the guiding force in the founding of St. Andrew’s, led a group that raised $3,000 to build the church. The . . . — Map (db m63132) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — The Wigfall Grays4th Tennessee Infantry Co. C
(side 1) On April 15, 1861, eighty men from Collierville organized the Wigfall Grays to oppose President Lincoln’s call for volunteers to invade the South. The company was named in honor of Senator Louis T. Wigfall who was well known for . . . — Map (db m82843) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Tom Brooks Park
Herbert Thomas Brooks served in community leadership roles for over 50 years. His leadership and vision affected almost every facet of the community and can be seen in the physical beauty of Collierville's landscape as well as the design of the . . . — Map (db m37271) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement