Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coloma, California Historical Markers

 
“Gold Boys Gold” Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, March 17, 2009
“Gold Boys Gold” Marker
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — “Gold Boys Gold”
On January 24, 1848, James Marshall set off early and alone to inspect progress in deepening the ditch that channeled water from the sawmill back to the river. Suddenly, he bent over and picked up a few particles gleaming in the icy water. . . . — Map (db m17241) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 2010-03 — 200th Anniversary of James W. Marshall's Birth
On the occasion of James W. Marshall's 200th birthday, the Native Sons of the Golden West rededicate this monument erected in his honor. Born in Hopewell Township, Mercer County, New Jersey to Phillip and Sarah Wilson Marshall on October 8, 1810, he . . . — Map (db m71528) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — American House HotelSite of
Located on this corner in 1853 was a sturdy, well proportioned 2-story hotel known as the American House. The proprietors, Marchant and Crocker, were proud of their hotel with its healthful location on “Piety Hill” opposite the Court H . . . — Map (db m17161) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Beer Garden
This beer garden, a recent addition to Coloma, was built by Jim Bridgham in the mid 1950s. Jim and his sister Margaret operated a business called the “Hitching Rack” and built the beer garden so the “locals” could sit around, . . . — Map (db m17429) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Bekeart’s Gun Shop
Jules Francois Bekeart was a gunsmith who came here in 1849 to mine gold and soon became a close friend of James Marshall. The hard labor of gold mining was not to his liking, so “Frank” Berkeart started a highly successful gunsmith . . . — Map (db m17225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Cabin of James Marshall
This cabin was erected by Marshall and occupied by him from 1856 : 1870. Born in New Jersey October 8, 1810. Came to California in 1845 – Died at Kelsey, this state, August 10, 1885. The discovery of gold by Marshall in the tailrace of John A. . . . — Map (db m12215) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Capt. William E. Shannon
First Alcade of Coloma Delegate from this area to First State Constitutional Convention Convention at Monterey. September 1849 — Map (db m17467) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Miners of the Mother Lode
Following the California Gold Rush of ’49, swarms of Chinese miners came to make their mark on the diggings in the Mother Lode, including this Coloma Valley. They were industrious and self-contained and mostly content to thoroughly comb the old . . . — Map (db m12225) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Chinese Stores
These two stone buildings known as the Wah Hop and Man Lee Stores were built by Jonas Wilder before 1860and leased to Chinese merchants. Located at the edge of a large Chinese community, they sold traditional foods, clothing and other items. Such . . . — Map (db m12227) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — ColomaAn Artists View
”The principle street of Coloma was alive with crowds of moving men, passing and repassing, laughing, talking, and all appearing in the best of humor. It was a scene that no other country could ever imitate.” from “A . . . — Map (db m12274) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Breweries
In the 1850’s and 1860’s Coloma had two breweries – the El Dorado and the Coloma – between Brewery Street and the river. An 1853 advertisement in Coloma’s newspaper stated: “Mr. Joseph Wellman would respectfully inform traders, . . . — Map (db m12324) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Greys
This building, perhaps originally a livery stable, was the armory for the Coloma Greys, a local volunteer militia company. After the Greys disbanded in 1862, the building was used as a carriage house by Elias Weller, who lived in the large white . . . — Map (db m17222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Post Office
Coloma’s first post office opened in 1849 when, against his wishes, John T. Little was appointed postmaster. In 1851 Coloma received tri-weekly mail service from Sacramento City. The post office, first designated as Culloma, California Territory, . . . — Map (db m17180) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma Schoolhouse
In 1885 Coloma’s three private school schools enrolled 187 pupils; two years later one large public school held 234 children. That school was housed in the original El Dorado County Courthouse on this site. The courthouse burned in 1915, and this . . . — Map (db m17129) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Largest Brick Store(Site of)
A large brick building measuring 50 feet by 65 feet, was built here in 1856. Two older frame structures were demolished and were sorely missed by the “old-timers” of that day. The brick for this store probably came from a brickyard 2 . . . — Map (db m12273) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Law OfficesSite of
In the 1850s, the law offices of Thomas Robertson and the firm of Sanderson and Hews were at this site. The town alcalde also had his office here. Borrowed from Mexican government, the position of alcalde combined the roles of mayor, justice of the . . . — Map (db m17572) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Coloma’s Pioneer Cemetery
Thousands of people emigrated to California with the dream of riches for themselves and have found their final rest in these hallowed grounds. The exact date that the cemetery was founded is unknown. The earliest known graves date from 1849. In . . . — Map (db m12282) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — County CourthouseSite of
When El Dorado County was organized in 1850 as part of the new State of California, Coloma was named the county seat. County offices were housed in simple frame structures until 1856, when a fine court house was built here on the public square. . . . — Map (db m17141) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Dukehart’s Barbershop and BathhouseSite of
In the 1850s a black man known only as “Dukehart” operated a barbershop that straddled the creek at this location. Typical of many barbershops of this period, Dukehart’s establishment also provided hot baths for his customers. The water . . . — Map (db m17166) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — El Dorado County Jails
Coloma’s first jail was made of logs and was located around the corner on High Street. The second jail, built in 1855, quickly proved to be too small, and this stone-block prison was erected. It was used from 1857 until 1862. The metal cell that . . . — Map (db m12228) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Emmanuel Church
Built in 1855, this is the oldest Episcopal church building in the state. It was later purchased and used by the Methodists. James Marshall's funeral services were held here in 1885. The Church remains a popular site for weddings. Contact the Park . . . — Map (db m53184) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. MarshallDiscoverer of Gold
“Boys I believe I have found a gold mine” so said James W. Marshall to his millworkers on January 24, 1848, after he discovered gold in the tail race of Captain John A. Sutter’s sawmill at Coloma. This discovery started the great Gold . . . — Map (db m12224) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James W. Marshall1810 - 1885
. . . — Map (db m71527) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — James Wilson MarshallAnd the Coloma Valley
James Marshall arrived in the “Collumah”, valley home of the Nisenan, on May 8, 1847 to map the site for a sawmill he was to build in partnership with John Sutter. On August 18, Marshall returned with a crew, mostly Mormons, to build the . . . — Map (db m39013) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Kane House
Tom Kane was born in Coloma of Irish parents. He built this house for his bride, Julia, in 1886. He died 5 years later, and Julia lived here for many years afterward. In 1934 Ralph Hikens owned the house and operated a store and post office in one . . . — Map (db m17168) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Metropolitan Saloon and Bowling AlleySite of
At this site was one of California’s first bowling alleys. It was actually three buildings, with single-lane bowling alleys in each of the side buildings. The establishment, also known as the Metropolitan Saloon and Sporting Hall, featured gambling . . . — Map (db m17598) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Miner’s Cabin
This cabin is an example of he quarters used by miners during the gold rush. The earliest structures were canvas tents, made from recycled sailcloth taken from abandoned ships in San Francisco Bay. In 1849 Coloma had hundreds of “tent” . . . — Map (db m12270) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mining Ditches
Mining ditches were dug by ditch companies to carry vast amounts of water needed for placer mining. Thousands of miles of ditches and flumes were built in the gold country; some brought immense profits to their owners. As mining declined in the . . . — Map (db m17484) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe Family Homestead
The home of the pioneer Monroe family stood here for more than a century. The family matriarch, Nancy Gooch, came across the plains from Missouri as a slave in 1849. She gained her freedom in 1850 when California joined the Union as a . . . — Map (db m17455) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Monroe House
Perly Monroe was the grandson of Peter and Nancy Gooch, who were freed from slavery here when California became a state in 1850. The Monroe family became successful fruit farmers and prominent property holders in Coloma. Built in 1925, this house is . . . — Map (db m17205) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Mormon CabinReplica
Members of the “Mormon Battalion,” returning from the war with Mexico, were enlisted by Sutter and Marshall to help construct Sutter’s Mill. The Mormon members of the sawmill crew built a cabin near the mill during the winter of 1847. . . . — Map (db m12158) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Odd Fellows Hall
Built in 1854 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, this hall was also shared with religious organizations of the Coloma community. The I.O.O.F. was only one of the many fraternal lodges that were active during the 1850s in Coloma and in most . . . — Map (db m17143) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Papini House
This home is located near the site of an 1853-1864 bakery and confectionery store and owned and operated by Luther Davis. The impressive Davis home was located on the hill, some 100 feet behind the bakery. Both were dismantled after 1885. This . . . — Map (db m17164) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Partners In History
Friday, Aug. 27, 1847…made a contract and entered in partnership with Marshall for a sawmill to be built on the Amer. Fork. So wrote John Augustus Sutter, methodically recording the agreement that led to California’s astonishing gold . . . — Map (db m17226) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Pioneer Cemetery
This cemetery, also called “Coloma Protestant” Cemetery, “Sutter’s Mill” Cemetery, and “Vineyard House” Cemetery, is the final resting place for many ‘49ers. Among these graves are the remains of miners, farmers, . . . — Map (db m12279) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Robert Bell's Store
Most of Coloma's buildings were wooden, but some were were made of brick or stone to resist fire. This one, known as "Bells Brick Store," was a general merchandise store that also sold feed and grain. The U.S. Post Office was located in this . . . — Map (db m12207) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Saint John’s Cemetery
This is Coloma’s Catholic Cemetery. There were probably some internments here early in the 1850’s. Many of the early burials were marked by wooden markers that have long since disappeared. The oldest existing headstone is dated 1861. This cemetery . . . — Map (db m12280) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Schulze House
This house was built in 1916 by Charles Schulze for his daughter Daisy, who visited Coloma occasionally. Schulze had been a miner, blacksmith, teamster and mason. In 1886 he fell heir to the Sierra Nevada House and became a hotelkeeper. He died in . . . — Map (db m17170) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sierra Nevada House(Site of)
The Sierra Nevada House was a handsome two-story building with many windows and a broad balcony. Here guests could always expect fine hospitality, suburb food, excellent ballroom music, fine carriages and comfortable beds. It was opened by Robert . . . — Map (db m12237) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Cemetery – 1848
Originated at time of gold discovery also known as “Coloma Protestant” or “Vineyard House” Cemetery. Still used by local pioneer families. — Map (db m12277) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Replica
This replica of Sutter’s Mill was based on research from many sources – a drawing by James Marshall, an old photograph of the mill, and the results of several excavations made on the original mill site. The building is 60 feet long, 20 feet . . . — Map (db m12206) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Sutter Mill Timbers
John Sutter’s mill was not used after 1850 and it deteriorated rapidly. The flood of 1862 destroyed the above ground remains of the structure. In 1924 the original mill site was located and the mill monument was built. Major excavations in 1947 . . . — Map (db m12222) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 530 — Sutter’s Mill Site
This rock monument marks site of John A. Sutter's saw mill in the tailrace of which James W. Marshall discovered gold, January 24, 1848, starting the great rush of argonauts to California. The Society of California Pioneers definitely located and . . . — Map (db m39015) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — 748 — The Coloma Road
Here in the Valley of the Cul-lum-mah Indians, James W. Marshall discovered gold on January 24, 1848, in the tailrace of Sutter’s sawmill. The Old Coloma Road, opened in 1847 from Sutter’s Fort to Coloma, was used by Marshall to carry the news of . . . — Map (db m12272) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — The Tailrace
Here on a chilly morning in January, 1848, carpenter James Marshall picked up the small pieces gold that touched off one of the largest, most frenzied mass migrations in history. Within a year of Marshall’s discovery, six thousand gold seekers . . . — Map (db m17608) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Weller House
Probably the first structure on this site was Littner’s Exchange, which was later purchased and remodeled by the Bramer brothers. They operated the Orleans Hotel, Restaurant and Oyster Saloon until 1856 when Elias Weller bought the property and . . . — Map (db m17176) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Weller’s StoreSite of
Like many ‘49ers, Samuel and Elias Weller soon quit mining and turned to less exhausting work. The Weller brothers operated two stores in town; one was primarily a tin shop. The brick buildings were called Coloma’s first fireproof structures. Their . . . — Map (db m17355) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Wintermantel’s Miner’s HotelSite of
A large pentagon-shaped structure was built here in 1849. In 1850 it became the Roger’s Hotel, one of Coloma’s first major hotels. Ownership changed hands several times until 1852 when it became known as Wintermantel’s Miner's Hotel. A sign on the . . . — Map (db m15673) HM
California (El Dorado County), Coloma — Winters’ HotelSite of
The Winters’ Hotel was the most ornate building in town. It was one of the earliest hotels here and the best known. A forty-niner later described it as “the hotel par excellence of the town; one could easily perceive that by its long white . . . — Map (db m17221) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement