Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Coltons Point, Maryland Historical Markers

 
"...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" Marker image, Touch for more information
By F. Robby, September 12, 2009
"...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac" Marker
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "...one of the pleasantest summer resorts on the Potomac"
Tourism thrived on the island after Dr. Joseph McWilliams built a steamboat wharf in 1868. Dr. McWilliams enlarged his home to make room for a growing number of summer visitors from Baltimore and Washington. he also added cottages, a dining hall, . . . — Map (db m24198) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — "With a laudable and pious zeal...""for the propagation of the Christian faith"
A Catholic Mass, the first in English America, was celebrated here on March 25, 1634. It was a time of beginnings; the first day of the year on the old Julian Calendar and the Feast of the Annunciation. Catholic leaders were determine to . . . — Map (db m24191) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — A Target for Big Guns
In 1918, the United States War Department established the Dahlgren Proving Grounds in King George County, Virginia. Military leaders who had observed the death and destruction of World War I wanted more accurate and effective large guns for future . . . — Map (db m104737) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Blackistone Island LighthouseKeepers of the Light
1851 Isaac Wood 1853 George Goddard 1859 Jerome L. McWilliams 1868 Dr. Joseph L. McWilliams 1875 Mrs. Josephine McWilliams Freeman 1912 William M. Freeman, Jr. 1913 Leonard H. Staubly 1917 Francis E. Butterfield, Jr. 1918 William . . . — Map (db m24187) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Maryland Began Here!
Two ships, the 400-ton Ark and the 50-ton Dove landed almost 150 English settlers here in March of 1634. After a stormy passage from England, the 28-year-old Governor Leonard Calvert, brother of Lord Baltimore, looked for a safe place . . . — Map (db m24194) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Mother of Light Shrine
East Face Maryland was dedicated to Mary, the Mother of God, during the first Mass held on St. Clement's Island. John Carroll, the first Catholic Bishop of the United States declared our young nation to be under Mary's protection in 1792. . . . — Map (db m9496) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Potomac River Dory Boat
The Potomac River dory boat originated around the 1880s and was built almost exclusively within this area of St. Mary's County, Maryland. How the name dory boat came to be is unknown, but its unique design features a V-bottom, planked lengthwise . . . — Map (db m22148) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Saint Clement’s Island(One-half mile offshore)
Site of the first landing of Governor Leonard Calvert and the Maryland colonists, March 25, 1634. Here, on the same day, Father Andrew White, S. J. celebrated the first Catholic mass in the British-American colonies. The Island became a part of . . . — Map (db m9152) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island
To this island in March 1634, Governor Leonard Calvert and the first Maryland colonists came in the vessels Ark and Dove. Here they took possession of the Province of Maryland, erected a cross of Maryland wood and celebrated the Holy Sacrifice. Here . . . — Map (db m24197) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clement's Island Lighthouse"None of the Lighthouses ... are Safe"
On May 19, 1864 Confederates raided St. Clement's Island to destroy the 1851 lighthouse. Capt. John Goldsmith, a county residence who had once owned the island, led the attack, having joined the Confederate army in Virginia. In a thirty-foot . . . — Map (db m9181) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — St. Clements Manor
1639 11,400 acres In St. Clements Hundred, St. Mary’s County laid out with court leet and baron, and patented to Dr. Thomas Gerard, ESQ. and bequeathed to his oldest son Capt. Justinian Gerard — Map (db m9183) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — The Shrinking Island
Glaciers, storms, tides and winds are constantly creating and destroying islands and shorelines throughout the Chesapeake Bay region. According to Maryland settler and Jesuit missionary Father Andrew White, St. Clement's Island was 400 acres in . . . — Map (db m24196) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24200) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Coltons Point — Welcome to St. Clement's Island
This small island, one of hundreds in the Chesapeake Bay watershed, has a history as old as Maryland. St. Clement's was the first landfall of the Maryland settlers in 1634. A Potomac River landmark for almost four centuries, it has been a . . . — Map (db m24201) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement