The first large land grant in what is now Howard County. Patented October 1, 1687 to Adam Shipley who came to Maryland from England in 1668. This marks a section of the western boundary of the 500 acre grant. A Shipley family cemetery is located . . . — — Map (db m3182) HM
Original log chapel of ease, Queen Annes Parish, erected on “New Years Gift,” a present from the Proprietary to Edward Dorsey and Charles Carroll. Improved and made Queen Caroline Parish Church, 1728. First rector, James McGill, served . . . — — Map (db m3183) HM
Oakland was the family home of George R. Gaither, a successful Baltimore merchant who purchased the property in 1838. His son, George R. Gaither, Jr., served as captain of a local militia unit, the Howard Dragoons (mounted infrantrymen). Most of the . . . — — Map (db m5287) HM
Granite was quarried in the Guilford area beginning in the 1830s and continuing until 1925 - a span of almost a century. As the nearby cities of Baltimore and Washington expanded, there was a need for quality building stone for structures and . . . — — Map (db m20501) HM
* The Little Patuxent River begins in Howard County near Alpha Ridge.
* It is joined by the Middle Patuxent River near Savage.
* It continues south to join the Patuxent River near Crofton in Anne Arundel County.
* The . . . — — Map (db m20504) HM
[picture of steam locomotive] Steam locomotive. A small saddle-tanker locomotive pushed and pulled freight cars around in the quarry, and hauled heavy loads of granite to the main line of the railroad. The saddle-tanker had a water tank that . . . — — Map (db m20499) HM
History: Railroad expansion in the 19th century required strong, dependable bridges to carry trains over ravines and rivers. Early bridges were built of stone that was sturdy but expensive. Timber bridges often had to be replaced as wood . . . — — Map (db m20498) HM
The Town of Guilford
Once, a thriving community prospered here along the banks of the Little Patuxent River. Guilford was a center for milling, quarrying, and cotton=cloth production in the late 18th through the early . . . — — Map (db m19884) HM