Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
23 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Corning

 
The Storm King By-Pass plaque site image, Touch for more information
By Google Earth, unknown
The Storm King By-Pass plaque site
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1New York (Orange County), Corning — The Storm King By-Pass
Construction started Jan. 21, 1937 -- Construction completed Sept. 26, 1940 Herbert H. Lehman - Governor Frederick Stuart Greene – Supt of Public Works – Arthur W. Brandt – Comm’r of Highways and Supt. of Public Works Harvey . . . — Map (db m149436) HM
2New York (Steuben County), Corning — “Little Joe” Thermometer Draw TowerCorning
The old thermometer draw tower stands as a monument to Corning’s technology leadership. When built in 1912, the tower represented a great step forward in tubing production technology – the vertical draw. Before Corning introduced the . . . — Map (db m143954) HM
3New York (Steuben County), Corning — Achsinessink(“Stone Upon Stone”) — 900 Yards East →   —
Delaware Indian town—1750’s–1764. Site of 1760 Indian conference with Moravian agents, Christian F. Post and John Hays about the “forbidden path.” — Map (db m79380) HM
4New York (Steuben County), Corning — At This Location an Alliance of Prosperity was Formed1868–2001
During the 150th anniversary of Corning Incorporated’s history in the year 2001 our community presents this David Dowler Sculpture commemorating the 1868 unloading of the company’s first machinery at this site. Thus began an alliance with the . . . — Map (db m80028) HM
5New York (Steuben County), Corning — Benjamin Patterson Inn
1796 Painted Post Tavern Built by Chas. Williamson, Pulteney Land Ass'n Agent- named in 1976 for the first innkeeper, Benjamin Patterson. — Map (db m33214) HM
6New York (Steuben County), Corning — Canfield Parkcorning new york
Block 66, set aside by the Corning Co. in 1840 as a public square, has housed a school, churches, and courthouses. Constructed from 1905-1909, the popularly known Courthouse Park was renamed Canfield Park in 1944, in honor of the city engineer who . . . — Map (db m91095) HM
7New York (Steuben County), Corning — Centerway Bridge
1921 Year the Bridge was Completed 92.3’ Each Arch Span Length 752’ Total Bridge Length 41’ Each Arch length This bridge was built in 1921, when Warren G. Harding was president of the United States. It closed to motor vehicles in 1981, . . . — Map (db m144164) HM
8New York (Steuben County), Corning — City of Corning
Erastus Corning and others began a community here in 1835. It incorporated as a village in 1848 and as a city in 1890. — Map (db m33218) HM
9New York (Steuben County), Corning — Concert Hall Block — Corning’s Gaffer District —
Built in 1851, this building, one of the oldest on Market Street, has been substantially altered from its original three storied Greek Revival style. It is constructed of brick and is one of the few buildings surviving the disastrous fires of the . . . — Map (db m79959) HM
10New York (Steuben County), Corning — Corning Centennial SculptureGeorge Greenamyer, Artist
Corning was a railroad town well into the 1900’s beginning with the corning-Blossburg Railroad in 1839. In 1849 the Erie Railroad was built through the village. In 1881 the DL&W came to Corning via Gibson and the Northside. The Corning-Blossburg . . . — Map (db m80064) HM
11New York (Steuben County), Corning — Corning Free Academycirca 1922
Historic Structure of Corning's Southside Neighborhood — Map (db m91103) HM
12New York (Steuben County), Corning — Courthouse Park
Given by the Corning Co. this land, first the Public Square, then Canfield Park, has hosted a school, parks, churches, and a courthouse. — Map (db m91106) HM
13New York (Steuben County), Corning — Denison Park
. . . — Map (db m154248) HM
14New York (Steuben County), Corning — Ecker Drug Store — Corning’s Gaffer District —
The third floor of this 1885 building served as a large dance hall where Irene and Vernon Castle, darlings of the Dance Mode in America during 1914–1915, became a weekly feature. In 1965, the exterior of this building was completely . . . — Map (db m80026) HM
15New York (Steuben County), Corning — Erie Avenue
In 1849 the Erie RR began running through Corning on this street, then called Erie Avenue. The tracks were removed in 1952. — Map (db m33215) HM
16New York (Steuben County), Corning — First Presbyterian Church
Organized August 19, 1812, this structure, constructed of local stone in 1867, is the oldest church building in Corning. — Map (db m91107) HM
17New York (Steuben County), Corning — Frederick Carder Home
F. Carder (1863-1963) Co-founder Steuben Glass Works in 1903 and became a community leader and world-famous glass maker. — Map (db m91104) HM
18New York (Steuben County), Corning — Galvin and Haines InsuranceWilliam’s Block — Corning’s Gaffer District —
This building, which houses Galvin and Haines Insurance Company, is extraordinarily elaborate in its fine terra cotta detailing—most notably the famous “Owl of Market Street,” perched on top of the pedimented cornice. Known . . . — Map (db m80017) HM
19New York (Steuben County), Corning — Market Street Historic DistrictCenterway Square — Corning’s Gaffer District —
In recognition of its historical and architectural importance, Market Street has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The street is composed of fine examples of late 19th Century commercial buildings rehabilitated as part of a . . . — Map (db m79989) HM
20New York (Steuben County), Corning — The Rockwell MuseumCorning’s Old City Hall
The Rockwell is housed in Corning’s Old City Hall. It was completed in 1893 and is a notable example of American Romanesque Revival architecture. In the late 19th century, this was a popular style of civic architecture seen throughout the nation. . . . — Map (db m144289) HM
21New York (Steuben County), Corning — The Southern Tier Roller MillsErected in 1879 — Restored 1974 — Memorial House —
The Southern Tier Roller Mills maintained operations here until 1918. Eight years later the building was purchased by the Corning Glass Works and in 1930 became the club house for employee recreational facilities. After these activities were . . . — Map (db m66258) HM
22New York (Steuben County), Corning — Veterans Memorial
In memory of those who served their country during the War for the Preservation of the Union 1861 — 1865 Fort Sumter • Antietam Gettysburg • Appomattox ————————— The City . . . — Map (db m154244) WM
23New York (Steuben County), Corning — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all Veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces with devotion, loyalty, honor, and their determination to preserve freedom "Freedom Is Not Free" [Armed Services Emblems] — Map (db m154249) WM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 20, 2020