Civil War cannon has been dedicated to the memory of Arville L. Funk: historian, author, lawyer, teacher, civic and church leader This six-pound field gun is similar to those used by General John Hunt Morgans Raiders and the Harrison County Home . . . — — Map (db m9687) HM
A force of about 400, Indiana militia and citizen volunteers commanded by Col. Lewis Jordan, engaged John Hunt Morgan's raiders, 2,400 cavalry, along a wooded ridge a mile south of Corydon. The determined Hoosier defense caused General Duke, . . . — — Map (db m9636) HM
On July 9, 1863, along this wooded ridge - - - from the “Laconta” Road extending across the “Mauckport” Pike to the old “New Amsterdam” Road - - - occurred the only Civil War battle in Indiana. It was between Gen. . . . — — Map (db m9721) HM
In loving memory
David J. Dukes, M.D.
July 16, 1927 — June 15, 1991
Remembered for his love of music, church, sailing, family, and his fellow man.
The bell predates the Civil War and may have been in the First Methodist Church around . . . — — Map (db m9686) HM
First burials date back to founding of Corydon 1808. Col. Thomas L. Posey, a public minded citizen, donated the original ground to the Town of Corydon for burial purposes. The Farquar family added a small addition and the remainder of the cemetery . . . — — Map (db m9718) HM
In the home of Reuben W. Nelson two blocks east of here, eleven Master Masons representing the nine lodges of Indiana assembled Dec. 3, 1817 and called a meeting at Madison to organize a Grand Lodge. — — Map (db m9616) HM
Site of the first Methodist church, Corydon. Lot purchased from Isaiah Boone, son of Squire Boone, in 1826. Earlier, Corydon was a station on Silver Creed Methodist Circuit. Services were held in Corydon as early as 1816. — — Map (db m9716) HM
World War II
to the Enduring
Memory of our
Lest we forget, they died
that we may live
(Immediate Left of Center . . . — — Map (db m79524) WM
Built 1817. Housed offices of State Treasurer and Auditor until Fall of 1824. The cellar was the Treasury vault. Building used by Harrison County Seminary, 1829-51. Since 1871, home of Amzi Brewster heirs. — — Map (db m9710) HM
Home of Governor William Hendricks 1822-1825 while he was Governor of Indiana. Front room was Governor's Headquarters. Hendricks was also Secretary of Constitutional Convention. House wa built 1817 by Davis Floyd, Territorial Auditor and Treasurer . . . — — Map (db m9711) HM
Organized 1808 from parts of Knox and Clark Counties. Named in honor of William Henry Harrison who owned land within the County and was Territorial Governor and later ninth President of U.S.
Fourth County formed in Indiana Territory. Original . . . — — Map (db m9750) HM
Oldest continuous County Fair existing in Indiana. First fair held Sept. 11 - 14, 1860. Citizens met jan. 1860, organized Harrison County Agricultural Society, adopted constitution which with amendments governs yet today. Ground purchased Mar. 1860 . . . — — Map (db m9634) HM
First Log Jail erected 1809. Spier Spencer, First Sheriff, was killed 1811 commanding the Harrison County Yellow Jackets in the Battle of Tippecanoe.
During first twelve years, Harrison County had a whipping post where justice was meted out by . . . — — Map (db m9628) HM
In Honor of
The men from
killed or died of wounds at the
Battle of Tippecanoe
Nov. 7, 1811
War of 1812
Marker's Left Side
Capt. Spier Spencers Co.
Mounted Rifleman . . . — — Map (db m9751) HM
Shields, born 1769 in Virginia, served as a private for the entire Lewis and Clark Expedition from October 19, 1803 until October 10, 1806; one of its "Nine Young Men from Kentucky," he was a skilled gunsmith and blacksmith. . . . — — Map (db m9642) HM
Facility built 1891 as elementary and secondary school for African Americans. Originally known as Corydon Colored School; first graduation was on May 14, 1897.
Renamed 1987 for Leora Brown Farrow, a teacher at the school, 1924 - 1950. . . . — — Map (db m9627) HM
(Confederate Side of Marker):
Morgan's Confederate Dead
Pvt. Greene Bottomer
Pvt. John Dunn Pvt. Albert Womack Eight Unknown Dead Forty Wounded
(On Marker Base): Park Ground Donated by C. B. Hays Family
(Northern Side of . . . — — Map (db m9683) HM
Old Capital Bank & Trust Company was organized in March, 1922 and began operation at 202 N. Elm Street, across the Square.
Bank later purchased this bilding at public auction for $35,000 and opened March 31, 1923. The Neo-Classical structure, . . . — — Map (db m9717) HM
Born in Maryland early 1810's. Bought land in Corydon, May 1849. In November 1857, Kentuckians arrested Wright and two white men, Charles and David Bell; they were indicted and jailed in Kentucky for aiding escape of fugitive . . . — — Map (db m9615) HM
Built 1817 - - Home of Col. Thomas Posey, son of Gov. Posey. Col. Posey (1792 - 1863) served as Treasurer of Harrison County; Cashier of Corydon Branch of the Bank of Vincennes; U.S. Military Pension Agent in Indiana; Adjutant General of Indiana; . . . — — Map (db m9630) HM
Organized under Louisville Presbytery, Synod of Kentucky, January 1819 by Rev. John Finley Crowe who later founded Hanover College. Early Church services were held in homes and in State Capitol prior to building first church 1826. Original church . . . — — Map (db m9713) HM
Free blacks and former slaves organized an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Corydon by 1843. In 1851, church trustees purchased land in Corydon in order to build a church and for school purposes. In 1878, church . . . — — Map (db m9752) HM
This original Liar's Bench was located under a shade tree on the corner of Chestnut and Capital from 1929 to 1986. It was a popular and cool place for the men to congregate. Many generations of stories have been told on this bench, but it was always . . . — — Map (db m9641) HM
This 2 ½ Ton artillery piece was captured by American forces on the Western Front in 1918.
Made by the Fried. Krupp Co. Essen, Germany in 1917. The largest arms manufacturer in the world at that time.
It could fire a 93 lb. high . . . — — Map (db m9679) HM
New Model "96" made in 1916. This Leichte Minenwerfer, "Light Bomb Thrower" was captured by the French Army and presented to the United States Government by the Government of France. It weighed 550 lbs. when in action and could fire a 10 lb. . . . — — Map (db m9709) HM
April 6, 1917 Nov. 11, 1918
William C. Albin Roscoe Bennett Charles H. Bird Charles W. Bliss William McK. Brewer Pleasant Brown George Browning James R. Caughlin Raymond Chaffin Charles W. Coombs Preston L. Davis . . . — — Map (db m9678) HM