From a vista point near the 1,156 long, 130 foot high bridge, completed in 1966, the site of Bagby lies east under, and sometimes exposed beside, the back waters of Lake McClure. Bagby's history passed through three definite development eras. From . . . — — Map (db m5957) HM
George W. Coulter started a Tent Store here, early in 1850 to supply hundreds of miners working the rich placers of Maxwell, Boneyard and Black Creeks. The settlement was called Banderita, from the flag flying over Coulters store. A postoffice . . . — — Map (db m5955) HM
While miners worked nearby streams and veins for gold, George W. Coulter served their needs as merchant and hotel proprietor. His first store, established in 1850, was a tent stocked with merchandise hauled in by pack train. Coulter and the town . . . — — Map (db m46330) HM
The original rock building was built by Thomas and Caroline McCarthy as a private home. Upon completion of the building, they placed a cornerstone with the date of 1852. Eventually, the property was leased to Percy Davis who converted the home into . . . — — Map (db m46327) HM
“This was the first road into Yosemite Valley. Originally a county road it became a toll road and later again a county road. Opened in 1874 as an improved toll road, it has served continuously since that time. Beginning in 1956, the Northern . . . — — Map (db m45647) HM
In 1849 Penon Blanco was a Mexican and Chilean gold mining camp. The foreign miners tax of 1852 caused the camp to be abandoned. In 1855 George Bell and Mary Haigh opened a store in Penon Blanco and reportedly sold supplies to Joaquin Murietta’s . . . — — Map (db m46373) HM
Built originally in the late 1840’s to serve the Mexican community as a cantina and fandango hall, the succeeding Jeffery Hotel has been warmly praised in the memoirs of the 49er and travelers.
The hotel is among the oldest owned and operated by . . . — — Map (db m46339) HM
One of the earlier Gold Rush buildings, and one of the last adobe structures left, this general store was established and operated by the Chinese from 1851 until 1926.
Named after it’s original owners Mow Da Sun and his son, Sun Kow, this store . . . — — Map (db m46366) HM
This structure was built around 1860. After a fire, it was reconstructed in 1890. At this time, the building was owned by Tom Hollow and housed a blacksmith’s shop. The upper level was added around 1900 and eventually the building became a bar and . . . — — Map (db m46365) HM
This eight-ton, short-wheel base, wood burning locomotive, built by the H. K. Porter Co. of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, was delivered to the Merced Mining Company of Coulterville in 1897. All of "Billy’s" active life was spent hauling gold-bearing . . . — — Map (db m5956) HM