Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Covington, Georgia Historical Markers

 
City Hall Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 12, 2011
City Hall Marker
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 17 — City Hall
In 1958, the school building, so well loved by so many, was demolished and replaced by long needed municipal building. It housed the administrative offices, the fire department, the police department and jail. In 1996, the building was refurbished . . . — Map (db m50173) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-6 — Confederate Dead & Hospitals
Here sleep 67 known and 8 unknown Confederate heroes, men who died of disease and wounds in the several Confederate hospitals located here. Many of those who died were reburied elsewhere. In 1862, 1863, 1864, the Hill, Hood, Lumpkin, and . . . — Map (db m49465) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 17 — Covington City School1889 – 1957
The old Female College building served the City of Covington Public School system until 1896 when a new building replaced the old structure. At the turn of the century measures to improve public education were begun. A 9-month term was instituted. . . . — Map (db m50174) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — L4 — Covington SquareSherman Strikes Three Times — March to the Sea Heritage Trail
On Friday, July 22, 1864, while the Battle of Atlanta raged about 25 miles to the west, Union Brigadier General Kenner Garrard and about 3,500 cavalrymen were in Covington. They had been ordered by Major General William T. Sherman to disrupt the . . . — Map (db m103344) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 21 — Dr. James Thomas GibsonOctober 5, 1857 - June 21, 1921
This site represents a typical rural medical practice 1881 - 1921. Dr. James T. Gibson began his practice in Porterdale, Newton County at age 24. He made his calls on horseback, often staying overnight until the patient´s fever broke or a baby was . . . — Map (db m108633) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 6 — Factory Shoals c. 1820
This area represents one of Georgia’s earliest experiences in advanced water-powered industrialization technologically unsurpassed in the U.S. Archaeological remains of 5 mills ranging from large textile factories to small grist mills exist . . . — Map (db m34594) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-3 — Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the . . . — Map (db m20477) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 12 G-6 — Lucius Q. C. Lamar
Here was located the office in which L.Q.C. Lamar, Statesman and Jurist, practiced law at two intervals from 1847 to 1854, thence moving to Macon and Mississippi. His family located at Covington after his father's death in 1834, and at nearby Oxford . . . — Map (db m7119) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — Newton County War Memorial
In Loving and Grateful Memory of Those Citizens of Newton County Who Gave Their Lives In The Defense Of Our Country {Honor Roll of World War I, II, Korean War, Vietnam & Gulf War dead of Newton County, Georgia}Map (db m103366) WM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-2 — Red Oak Church>>>------>
Red Oak Church was established between 1803, when the Indians left this area, and late 1821, when Newton County was formed. The church grounds originally contained 4 acres, including the spring behind the church. The first building, between the . . . — Map (db m24383) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-8 — Sherman at Harris’ Quarters
On Nov. 18, 1864, Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, were established here at “Harris´ Quarters,” the overseer’s house and negro cabins of a large plantation owned by Judge John Harris of Covington. . . . — Map (db m34208) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 14 — Snapping Shoals – 1821formerly Part of Henry County
Water power, fertile land and excellent fishing were major attractions. Early settlers built a sawmill, grist mill and other small industries. The town developed on both sides of the river and flourished in the 1900´s. In 1936 Snapping Shoals Power . . . — Map (db m108635) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-1 — The Capture of Covington
On July 22, 1864, Union Cavalry from Wilder's and Minty's Brigades, armed with Spencer repeating rifles, entered Covington under orders of General Kenner Garrard. As the Battle of Atlanta raged to the west, Covington was unprotected by Confederate . . . — Map (db m14989) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 16 — The Female College1833 - 1889
This private institution, although undergoing several trusteeships and name changes, continuously functioned as an exclusive female school for over 50 years. It attracted students from southern states as well as local young ladies. Out of town . . . — Map (db m50175) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-7 — The March to the Sea
On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Right Wing . . . — Map (db m20480) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 107-4 — The Stoneman Raid
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman’s army [US] closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” Sherman sought to force its evacuation by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three . . . — Map (db m20478) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — To The Confederate Dead of Newton County
West side Their gallant and heroic deeds like monumental shafts arise from out the graveyard of the past, and mark the tombs where valor lies. _______ South side No sordid or mercenary spirit animated the . . . — Map (db m103368) WM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 23 — Washington Street SchoolA Bedrock of Black History in Newton County, GA.
In 1889 Washington Street School was established under the Covington City School system. The old building burned in 1939. Students and faculty met for two years in Black Churches. 1941 -- A new brick school house was completed. The name and . . . — Map (db m49807) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement