In 1892 the game of basketball was brought to Crawfordsville from its birthplace in Massachusetts by Rev. Nicholas McCay, General Secretary of the Crawfordsville YMCA that was located on this site in what would . . . — — Map (db m41945) HM
In 1897, the Current Events Club, like many women’s clubs during this era, helped organize city’s public library. Andrew Carnegie donated $25,000 in 1901 for library building construction; city provided land and annual . . . — — Map (db m18825) HM
This 11.8 acre tract was the homesite of Dorothy and Frederic. It is a gift to Shades State Park in her memory by the Estate of Frederic Luther.
Dorothy Madden Hobson, 1905-1999, a native of Parke County, Indiana, was Chief Naturalist at Turkey . . . — — Map (db m43705) HM
Small Upper Brass Plaque - by Front Door:
This property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of Interior.
Large Middle - Brass Plaque
In Memory of the Soldiers of the . . . — — Map (db m9396) HM
Public lands from the New Purchase of 1818 were sold from Ambrose Whitlock's cabin located on this site.
Whitlock, who platted Crawfordsville in 1823, was receiver for the Federal Land Office until 1829.
Williamson Dunn was register for the . . . — — Map (db m13274) HM
Home of Henry S. Lane (1811-81), Congressman, Governor, and Civil War senator. Chairman of the first Republican National Convention, 1856, he was a strong supporter of Lincoln and the Union. — — Map (db m3882) HM
As Indiana’s adjutant general he organized the state for war. He saw action at Ft. Donelson, Shiloh and Monocacy. Later served as governor of New Mexico Territory and minister to Turkey. Author of Ben Hur. — — Map (db m992) HM
This jail and sheriff’s residence built 1882. First rotary jail built in U. S. constructed to plans based on patented design of William H. Brown and Benjamin F. Haugh of Indianapolis. In use until 1973. Opened as museum and restoration begun 1975. . . . — — Map (db m46566) HM
(Front Side - in Stone):
Tribute to her Heroic Dead
Mexican War 1846 - 1948
Men Enrolled 98
War for the Union 1861 - 1865
Men Enrolled 2,971
Spanish American War 1898
Men Enrolled 264
(Under . . . — — Map (db m9394) WM
This Memorial erected in Memory of the following soldiers who are buried in this Cemetery.
The exact location of some are unknown. ———————————
Thomas Mason • . . . — — Map (db m13280) WM
Site of house reputed to be a stop on the "Underground Railroad." Reconstructed cabin, which was portion of house owned by John Allen Speed, now located on grounds of lane Mansion. Speed, active in abolitionist movement, was Mayor of Crawfordsville, . . . — — Map (db m3870) HM
Built in the year 1835 by Major Isaac Compton Elston. A soldier in the War of 1812 and Black Hawk War. He was then in his thirty-ninth year, a pioneer merchant, banker and financier.
Presented to Wabash College by Major Elston's grandson, Isaac . . . — — Map (db m6427) HM
In 1824, Presbyterians worshipped together for the first time in Montgomery County in an unfinished log cabin. Expressing their religious mission through education, Presbyterians founded Wabash College in 1832 and the county's first free preschool . . . — — Map (db m9126) HM