Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Culver City, California Historical Markers

 
American Legion Building image, Touch for more information
By Michael Kindig, November 26, 2011
American Legion Building
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 5 — American Legion Building
A portion of the original Spanish landgrant Rancho La Ballona The American Legion Post #46 clubhouse was dedicated on August 9, 1930. Contractor Don S. Ely erected the building on this site over the first swimming pool in the area, on land . . . — Map (db m49954) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 11 — Civil War Union Camp Latham(1861-1862)
The First California Infantry, under Col. James H. Carleton, and First California Calvary, under Lt. Col. Benjamin F. Davis, marched from the port of San Pedro, 18 miles, a day's journey, to lay out Camp Latham. Named for U.S. Sen. Milton S. Latham, . . . — Map (db m49960) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 1 — Culver CitySite of City Hall — Dedicated 1928 —
The city of Culver City incorporated in 1912, built its first permanent City Hall on this site in 1926. This is a portion of the original Spanish landgrant, Rancho La Ballona. — Map (db m49949) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — Culver Theater
The Culver Theater, which opened in 1947, was one of two movie theaters in Culver City operating in the second half of the 20th century. As an example of the Skouras style, it was noted for its sweeping scrollwork and a juke box like ticket kiosk. — Map (db m137095) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 12 — Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial ParkFirst Park in Culver City
This land was first traversed by Native Americans, called Tongva, (later known as the Gabrielinos). Under Spanish rule, it was settled as a portion of Rancho La Ballona. After Culver City was incorporated in 1917, the property became a horseracing . . . — Map (db m49961) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 182 — Ivy SubstationMedia Park
The Ivy Substation, named for the land development where it is located, was built in 1907 by the Los Angeles Pacific Railway. It is one of the largest electric substations along the “Balloon Route” rail line from downtown Los Angeles to . . . — Map (db m121986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 10 — La Ballona School
Originally a wood-frame structure, classes began for the 1865-66 school year as a part of the Ballona School District. In its first year, there were 17 boys and 11 girls registered in 14 classes. The teacher, Miss Craft from Boston, received $50 a . . . — Map (db m118360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 6 — Main Street
Once a part of Rancho La Ballona, Main Street was so recorded in 1913, through the efforts of real estate developer Harry Culver, our city's founder. It was the hub of our city and the street address of the Harry Culver Co. In 1924, the 6-story . . . — Map (db m51858) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — M-G-M Studio — Historic Landmark —
On this site in the year 1915 was founded the first motion picture studio in Culver City, built by Thomas H. Ince. In 1919, Samuel Goldwyn succeeded to the title to this and adjoining property for his production company in 1924, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer . . . — Map (db m128144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 3 — St. Augustine's Church
In 1883 this land was donated by Señor J. Francisco Figueroa to the Roman Catholic Church of Los Angeles in order that a mission church be built to serve the people of La Ballona Valley. In 1887 a small wooden chapel was built on this site. Priests . . . — Map (db m49951) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 4 — The Citizen Publishing Building
"Dedicated in perpetuity to the service of the people that no good cause shall lack a champion and that evil shall not thrive unopposed." The Citizen Publishing and Printing Company, established in 1923 by Eugene Donovan was the oldest . . . — Map (db m50078) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 7 — The Culver Studios
On this site in 1919, the Colonial Administration Building of what was to become one of Culver City's three major motion picture studios was completed. Built by and first producing film as the Thomas H. Ince Studios, it later became known as DeMille . . . — Map (db m49955) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 9 — The Helms Building
Constructed in 1930 in Zig-Zag Moderne style, the Helms Building played an important part in the history of Culver City. It housed the Helms Bakery until 1969, a family owned business founded by Paul Helms. Helms Bakery was known as "the home of . . . — Map (db m128457) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 2 — The Hull Building
The Hull Building was built on this site in 1925. Dr. Foster Hull, having the interest of his profession at heart, built the most modern medical offices and hospital possible for that time. Early in the 1930's, Louis Freeman acquired the building . . . — Map (db m49950) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 8 — The Lugo Ranch
The Lugos, a Spanish landgrant family, arrived in the pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los Angeles in the 1700's and settled prior to 1900 on this site. This was originally a portion of Rancho La Ballona which was established by the Machados. . . . — Map (db m51869) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 13 — Veterans Memorial Building (VMB)
Culver City purchased a major portion of this land, known as Exposition Park, in 1938. It was officially designated as Veterans Memorial Park on August 8, 1949. Bond financing of $550,000 guaranteed the construction of the Veterans Memorial Building . . . — Map (db m51867) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement