Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Dallas, North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Back of Monument image, Touch for more information
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, May 2, 2009
Back of Monument
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Confederate Soldiers Monument
(Front): Confederate Soldiers monument On these grounds between 1861-1865 over 1500 men from Gaston County answered the call of their State and County to Defend the South in the War between the States. (Back): Co. 1-11 87th . . . — Map (db m18586) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — O 50 — Dallas
Named for G.M. Dallas. First seat of Gaston County, 1846~1911;site of Gaston College, now extinct. Courthouse built 1848 is here. — Map (db m18573) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Eli Hoyle House C.1832
One of the finest surviving federal style houses in Gaston County. Built as the seat of a 356 acre plantation. Part of the Ancestral Hoyle Family Lands. Listed on the local & National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m44380) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — First Gaston County Courthouse
On This square was located the Courthouse of Gaston County from 1847 until the County seat was moved to Gastonia in 1911. The first structure, built of logs, was replaced by a brick building in 1848. The interior of this latter building, together . . . — Map (db m18582) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Gaston County Courthouse (former) -1848-
This Greek Revival structure served as the county courthouse from 1848 to 1911, when the county seat moved to Gastonia. It marks the center of the Dallas Historic District, a Federal Register site. — Map (db m18577) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Gaston County Home 1904
On this site c.1874 structures existed to provide for the upkeep of the less fortunate, an imposing structure for its time and purpose, it gives physical and concrete evidence of the caring qualities of the people of Gaston County. — Map (db m18616) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Hoffman Hotel 1852
Hotel provided lodging for visitors to town and court sessions, and for male students of the original Gaston College. Jury was sequestered on the third floor "Bull Pen." Daniel Hoffman was the builder, Jonas Hoffman, Second proprietor, structure . . . — Map (db m18610) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Jail - 1848
This building with the West addition served as the Gaston County Jail until 1911 when the County seat was moved to Gastonia. The Sheriff and his family had living quarters on the first floor. The second floor still contains the main cell block. — Map (db m18614) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Rhyne Store 1850
Built as a General Store with living quarters upstairs by cotton manufacturing industry pioneer Moses H. Rhyne this structure also served as a Post Office and as a site of County Court during rebuilding of the Court House damaged by fire in 1874. — Map (db m18609) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Smyre - Pasour House 1850
Built by Dr. J.F. Smyre This building was sold in 1851 to Ely Pasour, State Legislator, Postmaster and First Mayor of Dallas. The northern addition was used as a classroom for privately tutoring boys. The granite upping block near the street was . . . — Map (db m18612) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — Vietnam Memorial July 4, 1974
This Monument is given by the town of Dallas and the Dallas Jaycees and is Dedicated to the memory of the brave young men of Dallas who Sacrificed their lives in the Vietnam Conflict. Jerry L. Addis, U.S. Army, Jun 24, 1969 Roy Neal Burris, . . . — Map (db m18608) HM
North Carolina (Gaston County), Dallas — William C. Friday Educator
As President of the University of North Carolina from 1956-86, he developed it into a 16 campus system and a national model. Respected nationwide for his compassion, vision, leadership and integrity. Born July 13, 1920 to Lathan and Beth Friday, . . . — Map (db m18580) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement