The potato famine of 1846-1851 brought large numbers of Irish immigrants to town. Many purchased homes in the Town Hill neighborhood and St. Peter Church became a focal point for the community.
Germans immigrants were the first major group to . . . — — Map (db m71353) HM
About This Building
248 Main Street
This handsome Victorian Romanesque building was built as the new headquarters for the Danbury National Bank in 1887.
The architect, Warren Biggs of Bridgeport, used stone from Massachusetts. The building . . . — — Map (db m72859) HM
Dedicated to the Memory Of the Black Soldiers of Greater Danbury who Served in the 29th and 30th Regiments, Conn. Volunteer Infantry During the Civil War 1861 – 1865
[ Names inscribed on the back ]
29th Conn . . . — — Map (db m23052) HM
Boston & Maine ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul 1455
This steam locomotive was built by the American Locomotive Company in 1907 for the Boston and Maine Railroad, eventually ending up on the Cape Cod Railroad. It was still pulling commuter trains from Boston’s . . . — — Map (db m89544) HM
Charles Edward Ives, the ‘Father of Modern Music,’ was born in Danbury on October 20, 1874 to a prominent New England family who were leading citizens of he community. His grandfather, George White Ives, founder of The Savings Bank of Danbury, was . . . — — Map (db m71183) HM
Many Danbury land records were destroyed during the British raid of 1777. Historic newspapers, old deeds and early maps help us piece together some of the earliest place names of our city.
Parts of Danbury were lost to Bethel when it broke . . . — — Map (db m71348) HM
Built in 1923 this flatcar ran on the Central Vermont Railway. It was used at the Bullard Steel Mill in Bridgeport, CT. during the end of its active railroad life. The museum restored this car after purchasing it in 1997. Please note the . . . — — Map (db m89541) HM
Eight families came from Norwalk in 1685 to settle this area which the Indians called Pahquioque. They built their first homes a half mile south of here and made this green their common. The General Court in October 1687 . . . — — Map (db m22836) HM
Although local folklore credits a man by the name of Zadoc Benedict with the start of hatting in Danbury after the Revolutionary War, hatters are thought to have been at work in the Danbury community before that time.
After the Revolutionary . . . — — Map (db m71237) HM
Dedicated in loving memory to Connecticut victims of the terrorist attack on the United States September 11, 2001
Mayor Mark D. Boughton Danbury 9-11 Memorial Committee September 11, 2004 — — Map (db m22833) HM
1950 – 1953
to those who died
Honor and Eternal Rest
to those still missing
Rememberance and Hope
to those who returned
Gratitude and Peace
[Inscribed on the left panel]
Danbury . . . — — Map (db m23404) WM
1964 Vietnam War 1975
Dedicated this 29th day of May 1988 by the people of the greated Danbury area to those men and women who served their country during the Vietnam War.
This memorial symbolizes the courage and sacrifices made by . . . — — Map (db m43312) HM
Between 1886 and 1970 the Danbury City Hall was situated in the site of the present library courtyard. This wall, part of the original structure, stands as an enduring symbol preserving our City’s historic heritage. — — Map (db m22790) HM
When the Kohanza Reservoir Dam gave way on the night of February 20, 1869, sixty acres of water, ice, lumber and debris roared down north Main Street. It took shops, homes, bridges and factories with it and several lives were lost. A combination . . . — — Map (db m72857) HM
On April 26, 1777, 2,000 British soldiers, under the command of General Tryon, marched into Danbury. The town was a supply depot for military stores.
A Corps of Artificers; skilled craftsmen, such as blacksmiths, were formed into special . . . — — Map (db m72558) HM
The origins of the Danbury Fair began in 1821 when the Fairfield Agricultural Society held gatherings in Elmwood Park on Main Street. The event gave farmers an opportunity to discuss farming methods and showcase the fruits of their labor.
Hat . . . — — Map (db m71186) HM
• First recorded census taken in 1756, Danbury’s population: 1,527.
• Danbury’s first mayor, elected in 1888, was Lewis LeGrand Hopkins.
• The first train arrived on the tracks of the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad on March 1, 1851.
• Wakefield . . . — — Map (db m71346) HM
Center Marker:In Honor of
The Men and Women
who served in the World War
1917 – 1919
In Memory of these men who
made the supreme sacrifice
Toby Asmar Co. M. 325th Infantry Killed In Action . . . — — Map (db m23084) WM
Throughout its history, countless women have contributed to Danbury and the lives of its citizens. Here are just a few that have left their mark on our community.
Mary Bull (1812-1882) dedicated her life to attending the poor and needy of . . . — — Map (db m71247) HM
In Memory of All Danbury
World War II Veterans
This memorial is in honor of all of World War II Veterans who were involved in the fight for the freedom of America and the free world.
Whether they fought in the Pacific or European . . . — — Map (db m23398) HM
Located opposite from where you’re standing stood the roundhouse and adjoining machine shop facility for the Danbury Yard. Built in circa 1914 the structure had 9 stalls for storage, servicing and performing light repairs to the many locomotives . . . — — Map (db m89546) HM
[ North face ]
David Wooster First Maj. Gen. of the Conn. Troops in the Army of the Revolution. Brig. Gen. of the United Colonies. Born at Stratford, Mar. 2, 1710-11. Wounded at Ridgefield, April 27, 1777, while defending . . . — — Map (db m23074) HM
The start of the 20th century saw a continual influx of newcomers to Danbury. A religious census taken in 1916 showed that 27 nationalities and 20 creeds were represented among the 22,533 residents of the town.
The 1910 census shows that a . . . — — Map (db m71473) HM
The first eight families arrived here in 1685; full of hope as they embarked on a new life filled with opportunity. Others soon joined them in this flourishing settlement in a newly born colony.
Most of Danbury’s inhabitants, prior to the . . . — — Map (db m71352) HM
In 1801, Mr. Major Starr donated the land necessary to take a large curve out of Main Street on condition that it serve as a permanent common. To this end, residents from the southern end of the street raised their own funds and created Elmwood . . . — — Map (db m71476) HM
During the colonial period, agriculture was the principal occupation in Danbury. The daily tasks of our early settlers included clearing land, raising cattle, growing wheat, rye, corn, beans and squash.
Broad flat tracts of fertile ground in . . . — — Map (db m71351) HM
Continuing educational opportunities have long been available in Danbury. In the late 1800s, the Stillman’s Business College, at the corner on Main and White Streets, offered classes in penmanship, commercial law and bookkeeping.
The Danbury . . . — — Map (db m71136) HM
Danbury’s First Episcopal Church occupied this site from 1763 until 1884. In 1777, British troops, led by General Tryon, took military stores from the church and burned them in the nearby street, but spared the edifice.
Three . . . — — Map (db m72562) HM
The artificers, who produced and distributed goods for the army during the American Revolution, may have fueled the start of Danbury’s early manufacturing activities. During the years following the war, Danbury began its transition from a . . . — — Map (db m71474) HM
Over 300 patents were issued to residents of Danbury between 1800 and 1890, one of the earliest was issued to D. Hoyt in 1838 for a door hinge.
Many inventions can be attributed to progress and practical conveniences including an oven, a . . . — — Map (db m71350) HM
John W. Leahy
1895 – 1975
A showman whose genuine love and understanding
of people endeared him to the hearts of young and
old alike. By his personal warmth, imagination, and
drive, he built the Danbury State Fair into a
nationally . . . — — Map (db m72861) HM
Lake Kenosia, said to originate from a Native American word meaning pike or pickerel, is part of the Still River waterway. This popular local park has always played an historic role as a recreational gathering place for Danbury residents.
In . . . — — Map (db m71239) HM
Marian Anderson was born in Philadelphia on February 27, 1897. Although her early musical training was sporadic, a scholarship enabled her to study abroad under distinguished teachers.
When Arturo Tosacnini heard her perform at the Salzburg . . . — — Map (db m71188) HM
[ Front ]
Danbury’s Memorial To Her Soldiers and Sailors Who Rest on Unknown Graves
[ Left column ]
William Pendley Co. L 1st Ct. Cav.
Eli W. Stevens Co. L 1st Ct. Cav.
William R. Potter . . . — — Map (db m23051) HM
There are monuments located throughout our city that serve as a reminder of those who have served our country.
The dedication of the Civil War Soldier’s Monument took place on May 27, 1880 in City Hall Square. The 32-foot high granite monument . . . — — Map (db m71246) HM
NYC Crane, “GCT-1”
Built in 1914 by Industrial Crane Works of Michigan, it is 90 feet long and is capable of moving 100 tons. It moved using third-rail power, but crane operation was powered by several large batteries on the roof. The . . . — — Map (db m89542) HM
City Hall Square, the intersection of Main and White Streets has been a central focal point for public activities and structures since the late eighteenth century.
In the 1880s it became the center of Danbury public life. The old City Hall, that . . . — — Map (db m71243) HM
An important aspect of Danbury’s growth as a regional center was the proliferation of banks.
The Savings Bank of Danbury began conducting business in 1849 when George W. Ives set up shop in the Ives homestead on Main Street. As noted by James M. . . . — — Map (db m71138) HM
Since its earliest days, the importance of education has been at the forefront of the development of the community. In 1763 the will of Comfort Starr left 800 pounds “for the support of a perpetual school in the centre of town.”
By . . . — — Map (db m71477) HM
On April 26, 1777 this brave sixteen year-old girl rode through the enemy-infested countryside for thirty miles in Putnam County, New York, to warn the local militia that British troops were attacking and plundering Danbury, . . . — — Map (db m25374) HM
Danbury was home to several early pioneers of the American circus in the mid 1800s. In fact, Aaron Turner, proprietor of one of the earliest American traveling shows, was actually P.T. Barnum’s mentor. From 1836 to 1838, Barnum traveled with Aaron . . . — — Map (db m71475) HM
Danbury’s first courthouse was built in 1785; complete with old stocks and whipping posts near the front entrance. These were dispensed with when the city’s second courthouse was built in 1824.
Civic events and elections were held in the . . . — — Map (db m72557) HM
The first reference to a fire department in Danbury can be found in The Republican Journal newspaper printed on November 11, 1793 announcing, “A subscription has been set forward in this town for the purpose of procuring a Fire . . . — — Map (db m71137) HM
In 1771, the Reverend Ebenezer Baldwin drew up terms for a subscription library that would be free to all denominations. Between 1793 and 1856, several other libraries were formed and disbanded.
In 1869 the present Danbury Library was . . . — — Map (db m71244) HM
The revolutionary village which centered about this green with its stores of supplies for the army was sacked and burned by a force of two thousand British April 26, 1777 Warned of the gathering militia the raiders departed next . . . — — Map (db m23542) HM
The first newspaper printed in Danbury was called The Farmer’s Journal and the year was 1790.
By 1837, The Danbury Times was churning out a weekly paper on a small wooden press that printed one side of a page at a time. During the Civil . . . — — Map (db m71135) HM
On April 19, 1889, Governor Morgan Bulkley signed a document granting Danbury official designation as a City within the State of Connecticut. Plans were immediately underway to create a city seal.
Committee member Henry Hoyt was assigned the . . . — — Map (db m71181) HM
In the spring of the year 1685, the first permanent settlement of Danbury was made. The eight determined families of Samuel Benedict, James Benedict, Thomas Barnum, Judah Gregory, Thomas Taylor, John Hoyt, Francis Bushnell and James Beebe settled . . . — — Map (db m71240) HM
historic newspapers reveal that sports have long been an outlet for both competitive and recreational gatherings in our city. Local coverage of amateur, club, factory, and school competitions were a regular feature.
Early baseball games were . . . — — Map (db m71245) HM
(front) To Our Brothers, Beloved, Honored, Revered Who
Died That Our Country Might Live
(back)The Defenders of The Union
(Inscribed around the column)
Bull Run • Wilderness • Antietam • Fredericksburg • Gettysburg • . . . — — Map (db m22788) HM
On March 1, 1852, the first train on the tracks of the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad pulled into the Main Street depot, located on the site of the present Post Office. The venture consisted of three locomotives, six passenger cars, twenty-four . . . — — Map (db m71184) HM
French General Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, and thousands of French ground and naval forces arrived in Newport in July of 1780 to assist the Americans in the War for Independence. After wintering in Newport, Rochambeau’s . . . — — Map (db m72560) HM
This semaphore, once located at the Wilton, CT. railroad station on the Danbury branch, played a vital role in keeping trains moving safely. Similar to a traffic light, the semaphore made sure one train wouldn’t run into another . . . — — Map (db m89545) HM
The intersection of Main Street with White and Elm Streets, known as Wooster Square became an increasingly important section of town with the completion of the Danbury and Norwalk Railroad depot on Main Street in 1851.
As the main route through . . . — — Map (db m72855) HM