Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Darien, Georgia Historical Markers

 
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, September 2008
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-27 — “The Thicket” — Sugar Mill - Rum Distillery Ruins »—→
On the banks of Carnochan Creek, a short distance East of here, are the ruins of a famous Sugar Mill and Rum Distillery operated early in the 19th century. These buildings, constructed of tabby by William Carnochan on his huge sugar plantation . . . — Map (db m11382) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-6B — 200 Years of Sawmilling
For nearly two centuries the story of sawmilling in the Southeast was enacted on this point on the Altamaha River. In the summer of 1721, men from South Carolina sawed the 3-inch planks to build Fort King George. In 1736, indentured servants of the . . . — Map (db m10850) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 95-5 — Ashantilly
Built ca. 1820, Ashantilly was the mainland residence of prominent antebellum planter Thomas Spalding (1774-1851), owner of the nearby Sapelo Island Plantation. The house, likely built by Spalding's slaves, was constructed of tabby, an equal mix of . . . — Map (db m24134) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-36 — Birthplace of John McIntosh Kell — »——→
Laurel Grove, at the end of this avenue, was the birthplace of John McIntosh Kell, 1823-1900, distinguished Naval officer. He was a member of the expedition of Commodore Matthew C. Perry to Japan in 1853, and was Master of the flagship . . . — Map (db m10899) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-25 — Butler Island Plantation
Famous rice Plantation of the 19th century, owned by Pierce Butler of Philadelphia. A system of dikes and canals for the cultivation of rice, installed by engineers from Holland, is still in evidence in the old fields, and has been used as a pattern . . . — Map (db m10802) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Columbus Square
Near this point the Darien & Western Railroad reached its terminus in 1895 after six years of construction. Trains arrived daily at Columbus Square then turned around for a return trip to Tattnall County. The D&W later became the Georgia Coast . . . — Map (db m11172) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-30 — Darien
This is Darien, in the heart of the historic Altamaha delta region. Settled in 1736, by Scottish Highlanders under John McIntosh Mohr, it was named for the ill-fated settlement on the Isthmus of Panama. The first military parade in Georgia was held . . . — Map (db m10405) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-28 — Darien Presbyterian Church
Darien was the Cradle of Presbyterianism in Georgia, as the first Presbyterian Church in the colony was established by Scottish Highlanders who settled this town in January, 1736. The Scots brought with them their minister, the Rev. John McLeod, of . . . — Map (db m11025) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Darien Waterfront
Throughout the 19th century sailing ships docked at wharves along this waterfront on either side of the present bridge to load with plantation goods. Primarily rice and Sea Island cotton, lumber and naval stores. This activity made Darien one . . . — Map (db m72078) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 95-1 — Darien's Railroad and Depot
In 1889 the Darien Shortline Railroad was organized to transport yellow pine timber to the Darien sawmills from Georgia`s interior. Originating in Tattnall County and continuing through Liberty County, the Darien & Western line was completed in 1895 . . . — Map (db m11256) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-9 — Famous Butler Authors
Pierce Butler and his daughter, Frances, who shared his interest in the South, returned to Butler Island in 1866, and worked to rehabilitate the plantations. Pierce Butler died in 1867, but Frances continued for several years to manage the Island . . . — Map (db m11051) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-14 — Fort Barrington — »— 12 mi. →
Fort Barrington, about twelve miles West of here on the Altamaha River, was built in 1751. Lieut. Robert Baillie, in charge of construction, commanded the post for several years. Named Fort Howe during the Revolution, the fort played a vital part . . . — Map (db m104506) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-18 — Fort Darien
Fort Darien, laid out by General James Edward Oglethorpe in 1736, was built on this first high bluff of the Altamaha river to protect the new town of Darien. It was a large fortification, with two bastions and 2 half bastions, and was defended by . . . — Map (db m10591) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-6A — Fort King George — ←—1 mi.—«
The site of fort King George, the first fort on Georgia soil built by the English. Erected by the Colony of south Carolina in 1721, 12 years before the Georgia Colony was founded. This fort served as a barrier against the Spanish in Florida, . . . — Map (db m10502) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-23 — General's Island
This island was the property of General Lachlan McIntosh by a grant of 1758, and was the principal home of his family up to and during the early years of the Revolution. The island was in rice cultivation for many years. In 1808, a Canal, . . . — Map (db m11281) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Guale Indian Village — Fort King George Historic Site
Colonel Barnwell in early colonial records wrote about an Indian village that inhabited the site of Fort King George “for 40 acres round.” Thousands of sherds of Indian pottery, along with remains of 15 crude wautle and daub houses, have . . . — Map (db m70239) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — How Steam Engines Worked — Fort King George Historic Site
There were numerous styles of steam engines used during the Age of Steam circa 1790-1920. Though there were variations, all steam engines used the same basic concept. Through a system of heat, metal rods, and pistons, very high pressure steam was . . . — Map (db m70236) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Lower Bluff Sawmill — Fort King George Historic Site
The ruins in front of you were the foundations of the Darien Eastern Sawmill, later to be called the Hilton & Dodge Lumber Company, or Lower Bluff Mill. The Darien Eastern Sawmill built in 1819, was one of the first steam-powered sawmills to be . . . — Map (db m70238) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-5 — McIntosh County
This county, created Dec. 19, 1793 from Liberty County, was named for the McIntosh family, early settlers, whose name was associated with most events in Georgia history for many years. John McIntosh, with 170 Highlanders, came to Georgia in January . . . — Map (db m10455) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 17 — Methodists at Darien — 1836
John Wesley, founder of Methodism, spent January 2 & 3, 1737, among the Scots in Darien, where he first prayed extempore. In 1836 after many efforts, circuit riders aided by layman F. R. Shackelford organized a Society. On November 29, 1841, the . . . — Map (db m10545) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — New Inverness
To the Highlanders of Scotland who founded New Inverness in 1736 AD Their valor defended the struggling colony from - the - Spanish - invasion Their ideals traditions and culture . . . — Map (db m10820) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Oglethorpe Oak — 1736
Traditional site of Oglethorpe's shelter in 1736 upon occasion of his visit to Darien, a town founded that year by Scotchmen under his direction. — Map (db m8254) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-19 — Old Fort King George
Site of old Fort King George, built in 1721 by Col. John Barnwell, of South Carolina, under British Royal orders. This tiny cypress blockhouse, 26 feet square, with 3 floors, and a lookout in the gable from which the guard could watch over the . . . — Map (db m10939) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-17 — Old River Road
The River Road has changed but little in location since its beginning as a Military Route in 1739. Scottish Highlanders first marched over it on their way to invade Spanish Florida, and troops have used it in three wars ­- the War with Spain, the . . . — Map (db m104508) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 95-3 — Port of Darien
Situated ten miles from the Atlantic near the mouth of the Altamaha River, Darien attained prominence as a seaport in the 1820s. Rice and upland cotton from Georgia`s interior were shipped from the waterfront. From 1870 to 1900, Darien served as the . . . — Map (db m10587) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-7 — Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church
Saint Andrew`s Episcopal Church in Darien received its charter in 1843, under the Rt. Rev. Stephen Elliott, first Bishop of the Diocese of Georgia. The church edifice, a large wooden building with a belfry, erected on a lot a short distance North of . . . — Map (db m10553) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-26 — Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church
Saint Cyprian's Episcopal Church in Darien was built "for the Colored People of McIntosh County," through the efforts of the Rev. James Wentworth Leigh, D.D., F.S.A., Dean of Hereford, England. It was named for the martyred African Bishop. . . . — Map (db m10554) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-9 — Site of Bank of Darien
The old Bank of Darien, in its day the strongest Bank South of Philadelphia, was organized in 1818 with a Capital Stock of $1,000,000. The first Directors on the part of the State were: Thomas Spalding, Scott Cray, John McIntosh, James Troup, James . . . — Map (db m10555) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-10 — Site of Early Spanish Mission
This high bluff was the site of one of the early Spanish Missions of the Old District of Guale. Here, in the late 16th and the 17th centuries, Franciscan friars labored with the Indians, converting them to Chritianity and instructing them in . . . — Map (db m11200) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 095-15 — St. Andrew's Cemetery — »»——→
At the end of this avenue, on high land ovelooking the creeks and marshes, Thomas Spalding of Sapelo established his family burial ground. For many years the Spaldings and their kinsmen were buried there. In 1867, Charles Spalding, son of . . . — Map (db m11495) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — 95-2 — The Burning of Darien
On June 11, 1863 the seaport of Darien was vandalized and burned by Federal forces stationed on nearby St. Simons Island. The town was largely deserted, most of its 500 residents having sought refuge inland. Lost were public buildings, churches, . . . — Map (db m84005) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — The Oglethorpe Oak
. . . — Map (db m12391) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — The Savannah Lumber Company — Fort King George Historic Site
Taken approximately from where you are now standing, the photograph to the top left is of the Savannah Lumber Company’s sawmill, circa 1905. The ruins of this mill are in front of you. At the beginning of the twentieth century, due to lack of . . . — Map (db m70234) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — To The Soldiers Of Fort King George
To the Soldiers of Fort King George who gave their lives in defense of the Southern English Frontier in America during the occupation of this little outpost from 1721 to 1727 and were buried upon this bluff. Fort King George, built on the low . . . — Map (db m12655) HM
Georgia (McIntosh County), Darien — Vernon Square
During the 19th and early 20th centuries this area was the business, social and religious center of Darien. The powerful Bank of Darien with branches in five cities operated here until 1842. Prominent merchants and timber barons lived in homes . . . — Map (db m10601) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement