Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Darlington, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Buttonwood Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, November 11, 2011
Buttonwood Marker
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Buttonwood
Built in 1840 by Reverend Arthur B. Bradford, descendant of William Bradford of the Mayflower. Powerful abolishinist, consul to China, prolific author, minister, and a founder of the Free Presbyterian Church. Many famous abolishinists met here in . . . — Map (db m49420) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Cannelton
Settled in 1795. Named for the Cannel coal found here. Mine opened 1838. Homestead of Ira Mansfield, mine owner, author and state senator. Producer of shale oil for many years. Harmony Society built a railroad in 1850 to ship coal and oil to distant . . . — Map (db m49422) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Caughey's Mill
In 1808 Samuel Caughey bought from Peter Crowl 15 acres of land house stables and saw mill for 1200 dollars here on the Little Beaver. In 1812 he built a grist mill. He gave it to sons James and Samuel Jr in 1820. It was in operation until 1876. — Map (db m51799) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Chartered In 1798 Brush Run Seceder Church
Brush Run Seceder Church James Duncan first pastor, held services in a 5 x 12 tent, later a log cabin. In 1811 a two acre cemetery created. The church relocated in 1848 as United Presbyterian church near Darlington, with B.F. Sawyer as pastor. — Map (db m51798) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Daniel Leasure March 18, 1819 - October 10, 1886
This monument was erected in 1887 to honor Daniel Leasure, who was an American Soldier that served in the Union Army as a Colonel and Brigade Commander during the American Civil War. Mr. Leasure attended Greersburg Academy across the street from . . . — Map (db m120956) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Darlington Borough
Formerly Greersburg 1804-1830. Second Borough in the County 1820. First Presbyterian Church 1797. First Free Presbyterian Church 1847. First Greersburg Academy 1802. First lighted Polo Field in United States 1938. Important relay and supply station . . . — Map (db m48087) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Elder's Mills
In 1821 Matthew Elder built the first woolen factory in this area and bought wool from miles around. He ran a large general store with an extensive trade. He also ran a flax seed oil mill. In connection with his brother William, he ran a grist mill. — Map (db m49424) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — First Permanent Structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church
First permanent structure of Mount Pleasant Presbyterian church. Structure built in 1808. The church and site was purchased by John McCowin in 1861 and remodeled into a home. Property purchased by Sarah E. Seanor in 1909 and still owned by her heirs. — Map (db m49418) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Foulks-Martin-Watts Mill and Bridge
George Foulks frontiersman built saw and gristmaills. Jesse Martin owned for some years. Reuben Watt and sons James and Thomas also ran it. The iron bridge placed on National Register June 22, 1988. — Map (db m62684) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — 57 — Free Presbyterian Church American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Protesting the slave holding decree of 1845 the Free Presbyterian Church was formed, and followers led by Reverend A.B. Bradford erected this beautiful church in 1847 after the Civil War in 1867 a jointure was made with the reformed presbyterians . . . — Map (db m122307) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — George Foulks Home
George Foulkes Home oldest in area Captured by Indians in 1780. Escaped to help country. Outstanding character bold woodsman. Furbuyer Indian Scout and thrifty businessman. Married C. Ullery 1796. Built stone house, mills, and first brick house in . . . — Map (db m49423) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Greersburg Academy
Established with funds collected by Reverend Thomas E. Hughes erected 1802 chartered 1806 by the Pennsylvania State Legislature as Greersburg Academy ratifying it the first academy west of the Allegheny Mountains. — Map (db m48136) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — 47 — Greersburg Academy American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Reverend Thomas E Hughes recognizing the need for a school for the frontier obtained approval and full support from the Erie Presbytery April 13, 1802 to construct a building and form a seminary. He proceeded to build the so called stone pile and . . . — Map (db m122308) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — McMinn Mill
Site of one of the first mills built on the Little Beaver River. Erected by Robert and Mary McMinn in 1796-1797. Mary was said to be the first white woman to settle in the Darlington area following the treaty with the Indians in 1795. — Map (db m49417) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Mount Plesant Presbyterian Church
First site of the church where Reverend Thomas E. Hughes was ordained August 28, 1799 First Communion service north of the Ohio River September 1, 1799 The Erie Presbytery organized at this location April 13, 1802. — Map (db m40281) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — South Beaver Township Veterans Memorial
Honoring all veterans who answered the call-served, fought or died so that others could be free to live in peace. — Map (db m82685) WM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — The White Cemetery
Founded in Cannelton by John White in late 1800's. Owner of coal and clay mines, friend of Harmonists, he was superintendent of Darlington Cannal Coal Railroad. Cemetery marked by Italian marble statue depicting White's daughter. — Map (db m49421) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), Darlington — Thomas Sprott House
Built by Thomas Sprott in 1804 on land granted him in 1802 by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Named "Sprotts Delight," it overlooked the borough of Greersburg, laid out on the lands of Sprott, Greer, and Martin. — Map (db m49419) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement