Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

DeLand, Florida Historical Markers

 
Bell #8 and Marker image, Touch for more information
By AGS Media, August 1, 2011
Bell #8 and Marker
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Bell #8 "The Eloise Chimes" 1915
This bell was part of a set of 11 chimes originally designed for a Methodist Church in Pennsylvania. Lincoln Hulley, Stetson University's second president, acquired the bells in 1915 and they were mounted in the cupola of Elizabeth Hall. When the . . . — Map (db m46817) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Circa 1883
This site has a long history with the "written word." On April 7, 1883, the first issue of the Orange Ridge Echo was printed here in a wood-frame building. This paper later became the Chronicle, which eventually became the Volusia . . . — Map (db m46137) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Circa 1885
In 1883 two young boys, Samuel Jordan and Wylie Swift, built a circular skating rink in a tent on this corner. It was a popular entertainment site when DeLand was little more than a pioneer village. Around 1885 this brick building was erected to . . . — Map (db m46204) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand Hall Built 1884
The oldest building in Florida in continuous use for higher education and the first building on the Stetson University campus. Originally housed the library, chapel, classrooms, gymnasium and offices. Later used as women's residence, kindergarten, . . . — Map (db m45502) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand Municipal Airport Sidney H. Taylor Field
Named In Honor Of Sidney H. Taylor, Attorney, For His Leadership In Retaining The Seat Of Volushia County Government At DeLand. — Map (db m106736) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — DeLand Naval Air Station Museum
. . . — Map (db m106557) HM WM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Dreka Building 1882
On this site in 1882 George A. Dreka built his 2-story department store that later was expanded to four floors to also hold the Carrolton Hotel. In the 1886 fire that consumed much of the town, blankets were hung from the balconies and kept wet by a . . . — Map (db m46128) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Dreka Theater 1922
Imagine the front of this now-modern building with parapets, decorative geometric tiles, and elaborate curvilinear windows on the facade. At the center was an ornate kiosk ticket office, naming it for the popular department store adjacent to it, . . . — Map (db m50089) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Early Grocery Stores circa 1897
Although there has been a structure on this site since at least 1885, this building was erected about 1897. From the late 19th to the middle 20th century, most of DeLand's grocery stores were located along Woodland Blvd. Bushnell, Cantrell, Conrad, . . . — Map (db m45708) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First Commercial Store 1877
Capt. James B. Jordan came to DeLand in 1876. While serving in a North Carolina regiment during the civil war, Capt. Jordan was wounded and taken prisoner in July 1863 at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he came to Florida and opened . . . — Map (db m46028) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First Movie House circa 1907
Around 1907 V. Ward Gould and Arthur Voyle opened DeLand's first silent movie business here. With straight backed chairs for the audience and sheeting for a screen, they rigged up a projection booth and hired a pianist to furnish the music. The film . . . — Map (db m45540) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First Public Building 1877
When Hettie Austin came to this community from Indiana in 1876, she immediately began roaming about in her "sad little mule-drawn cart" soliciting contributions for a Methodist Church. Henry DeLand convinced her that the greater need was for a . . . — Map (db m49946) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — First United Methodist Church 1883
The First United Methodist Church was established August 1, 1880. It was the first church organized in the new settlement of DeLand. Three years later, this building was completed for worship services. It was a simple frame structure with a bell in . . . — Map (db m45667) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Landis-Fish Building 1905
In 1905 the Landis & Fish Law Firm erected a brick one-story Romanesque-style building on this site. As the firm grew, it was enlarged in 1925 to the two-story Federal structure you see today. Begun by Cary D. Landis and Bert Fish, the firm was . . . — Map (db m46032) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Miller-Fish Building circa 1887
In this block, early settler Charles A Miller owned a hay & grain store, livery stable, and buggy & carriage shop. All fell to the flames of the 1886 fire. Miller was among the first to rebuild, erecting the two-story brick building you see today. . . . — Map (db m46050) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — St. John's Masonic Lodge 1925
This building was the St. John's Masonic Lodge #7. The cornerstone, containing the membership rolls of the Masonic bodies in DeLand, was laid Sept. 14, 1925. Designed by local architects, Carpenter & Bent, the lower floor originally accommodated a . . . — Map (db m45669) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Athens Theatre 1922
This historically significant landmark opened in 1922 as a silent film/vaudeville theatre. Once the entertainment centerpiece of the county, the Athens operated continuously for nearly seventy years, changing its programming over time as technology . . . — Map (db m46141) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The First Post Office 1877
According to early sources, the first post office in DeLand was in the rear of the Jordan & Lancaster store on West Indiana Avenue somewhere "between Woodland Boulevard and Florida Avenue." Dr. G. W. Lancaster, DeLand's first druggist, was also the . . . — Map (db m45603) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Haven Block Circa 1887
The three buildings called "The Haven Block" extend from 112 to 116 N. Woodland Blvd. These three Romanesque-style buildings have been home to countless businesses for over a century. In their early history was Haven's Hall on the second . . . — Map (db m45638) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Opera House 1910
This corner was the site of DeLand's first newspaper, The Volusia County Herald, first published on May 10, 1877 by Henry DeLand. It was succeeded in 1878 by The Agriculturalist, edited by Col. C. C. Codrington, Gov. General of the . . . — Map (db m45727) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — The Woman's Club of DeLand Established 1906
The Woman's Club of DeLand was organized in March 1906, and was incorporated on July 26 of that year with ninety-two charter members. Nearly from its inception club members wanted to have their own clubhouse. The organization purchased a lot on West . . . — Map (db m45507) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Volusia County Historic Courthouse Built 1929
This landmark was built on property donated by the city's founder - Henry DeLand. It replaced the first Volusia County Courthouse, which was completed in 1894 and occupied until it was torn down in the 1920's to make way for its successor. In 1995, . . . — Map (db m46191) HM
Florida (Volusia County), DeLand — Wilcox Saloon 1886
"The Great Fire" occurred late at night on Sept. 27, 1886. It is thought to have started from a smouldering cigar igniting the sawdust on the floor of the Wilcox Saloon in this block. The buildings, constructed of pine, were instantly engulfed. The . . . — Map (db m50003) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement