DeKalb County, created by Act of General Assembly Dec. 9, 1822 and including Fulton County until 1853, was named for Baron Johann DeKalb, a native German who fought gallantly for American freedom. Wounded and captured at the Battle of Camden, S.C., . . . — — Map (db m8753) HM
July 19th, 1864. Blair's 17th A.C. followed by Dodge's 16th (US), having camped near Blake's Mill, 6 mi. N. on the old Shallow Ford Rd. the night before, moved S. to this point where their lines of march diverged.
Dodge's troops continued S. on . . . — — Map (db m8759) HM
About 1826, Dr. Chapmon Powell erected a log cabin beside the Shallowford Trail near this site. His Indian patients called it the “Medicine House.” His cabin had been relocated onto this site by 1863 when Powell’s son-in-law, Washington . . . — — Map (db m9361) HM
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavlary Division (US), Brg. Gen Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur. His three brigades were scattered from Decatur to Roswell, guarding bridges over . . . — — Map (db m8754) HM
The Georgia Railway and Power Company, predecessor of Georgia Power, built this trolley waiting station in 1923. The waiting station served Druid Hills residential development when the streetcar line on Ponce de Leon Avenue was extended from . . . — — Map (db m29074) HM
The oldest known publicly owned burial ground in metro Atlanta, the Decatur Cemetery is believed to predate the city’s 1823 incorporation. The first written record is an 1832 act of legislature providing “Commissioners for the Decatur Burial . . . — — Map (db m9685) HM
From the Houston Mill built in 1873
Owned by Maj. W.J. Houston
Purchased from Dr. Chapmon Powell
Millstone removed in 1974
Mill site destroyed in 1983
Donated by Joseph Augustine Sams Bond
Moved to Old Courthouse Grounds October 2001 by . . . — — Map (db m31589) HM
This cemetery was the scene of an engagement between 8th Confederate Cavalry Col. J. S. Prather commanding and a large force of Federal troops. The latter were repulsed and 225 prisoners taken. — — Map (db m29168) HM
July 19, 1864. Logan's troops, in "light fighting order" left camp at Henderson's mill (0.8 mile N.E.), at 5 A.M. & marched to Decatur. They were joined at this point by Blair's corps which had camped at Blake's Mill, 2 miles west.
Both corps, . . . — — Map (db m8761) HM
Author, poet, historian and Confederate heroine - Mary Ann Harris Gay (1828-1918) lived in this house from 1850 to 1914. She is best known for her Life in Dixie During the War which describes the Union Siege of Atlanta and the tribulations of the . . . — — Map (db m9427) HM
West of this point 75ft., was the ante-bellum residence of James Oliver Powell (1826-1873), Sherman's headquarters, July 19, 1864.
Sherman traveled with Schofield's 23d A.C. from the Chattahoochee River as Power's Fy. July 17 & arrived here July . . . — — Map (db m13996) HM
The Federal 23d A.C., Army of the Ohio, reached this vicinity via Old Shallow Ford Rd. (Clairmont) & N. Decatur Rd., evening of July 19, 1864. This was the N.E. sector of Sherman’s approach to Atlanta. Cox’s (3d) div. bivouacked E. of Pea Vine Cr. . . . — — Map (db m9922) HM
This steatite boulder was found on the site of a prehistoric quarry along Soapstone Ridge 8 miles south of Decatur. It shows the methods of Indians in making stone bowls, with the first girdling of the stone to remove workable cores. It is estimated . . . — — Map (db m8752) HM
July 19, 1864. Dodge's 16th A.C., having camped on N. Fork Peachtree Cr., moved S. on old Shallowford Rd. to this point where it joined Schofield's 23d, which had marched S.E. from Goodwin's Crossing (Brookhaven), along roads now designated . . . — — Map (db m9362) HM
The Beacon Community was the center of Decatur’s African American community until its demolition by the Urban Renewal programs of the mid-1960s. Bounded by N. McDonough Street on the east, W. Trinity Place on the north, Water . . . — — Map (db m29260) HM
McPherson's Army of the Tenn. (US), consisting of the 15th, 16th, & 17th corps, having crossed the river at Roswell, made a wide swing S.E. to cut the Georgia R.R. at & E. of Decatur.
Logan's 15th A.C. was the extreme left; posted at Browning . . . — — Map (db m8886) HM
In July, 1864, Maj. Gen W.T. Sherman's army (US) closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications "too strong to assault and too extensive to invest," he sought to force its fall by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three brigades (2112 men and . . . — — Map (db m8723) HM
Ante-bellum residence of Benjamin F. Swanton; once the property of Ammi Williams, a DeKalb County pioneer. Built prior to 1842.
In 1864 the Swanton family was in residence here when the Federal Army of the Tennessee occupied Decatur. This force . . . — — Map (db m9364) HM
This ancient trail led west to the Indian village of Standing Peachtree. It joined the Shallowford Trail near this spot linking it with trade routes to Stone Mountain. Later becoming a road it was among the first authorized when DeKalb County was . . . — — Map (db m9923) HM
July 22, 1864. Walker’s & Bate’s divs. of Hardee’s A.C. (CS) enroute to the rear of the 17th A.C. (US) in E. Atlanta, detoured here along the W. bank of the creek to keep contact with Cleburne’s & Maney’s divs. (CS) moving upon the Federal left . . . — — Map (db m10230) HM
July 22, 1864. Coincident with Hardee's night march to attack Federal forces in E. Atlanta, Wheeler's cavalry (CS) was sent to seize McPherson's wagon trains parked N. of the Decatur public square, guarded by Sprague's 16th A.C. brigade & three . . . — — Map (db m8887) HM